Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #1

16" tire PSI increase while driving question

I know they say to inflate tires cold. My concern is that according to my TPMS my tires (235/85R16" Max pressure 80PSI) will increase 10-15 psi as they heat up. Especially when it's 35F ambient here. My tire pressure (Based on CAT scale weights) should be 70PSI up front and 75PSI in each of the dualies. However if I were to set these pressures cold i would exceed my 80PSI when they are warmed up. Definitely in the rear and probably would in the front also. What are you guys doing to stay under the max PSI but still setting pressures based on a cold tire?

The way i am set up now I am achieving my desired pressure (70/75) but when HOT.

Thanks
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2022, 05:36 PM   #2

Key word here is cold...so set pressures at ambient temperature--as all tires will warm to reach ops temp. Some discussion around "snow birds" who head north or south--sometimes seeing dramatic changes in ambient [cold] temps over a day or two of travel.
IMHO--the largest danger for tires is under-inflation, not over-inflation. Your method yields under-inflation at ops temp.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Key word here is cold...so set pressures at ambient temperature--as all tires will warm to reach ops temp. Some discussion around "snow birds" who head north or south--sometimes seeing dramatic changes in ambient [cold] temps over a day or two of travel.
You are missing my point. At all times my pressures increase at least 5PSI from cold temp. Usually more. So if I set my cold temp to my recommended pressure I'm over max pressure when they're at temp.

Dave
Old 11-11-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Sorry--but you are confusing max ambient [cold] temp pressure with ops temp--all tires warm from 10-15%, or more to reach ops temp--its already in the formula for calculating tire design and proper pressures, based on weight.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-11-2022, 05:54 PM   #5

16" tire PSI increase while driving question

Yep its built into the calculations, I keep all mine at 110 (max cold inflation) and they normally run up to 122 or so on really hot days
Old 11-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Max pressure on the sidewall is the highest pressure the tires should be set while cold with the tire at maximum load. Manufacturers design tires to allow for 15-20% pressure increases as the tires heat up.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #7

PS--I love my TPMS--wouldn't leave home without it--but it can also drive you crazy. Soon you will question--why the tires next to your exhaust are warmer, why inter dual is warmer than the outside, why the sunny side is warmer than the shady side, and my favorite--why the leeward side is warmer than the windward side in heavy winds.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 11-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert View Post
You are missing my point. At all times my pressures increase at least 5PSI from cold temp. Usually more. So if I set my cold temp to my recommended pressure I'm over max pressure when they're at temp.

Dave
There is no max pressure at temp.

The only max pressure is at cold, ambient, temp.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:33 PM   #9

To the OP. You need to read the "Stickie" listed below. It will tell you everything you need to know about tire management plus other need to know information to make your RV experience the best it can be.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new...v2-201159.html
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:34 PM   #10

Good to know thank you. I will increase my cold tire pressure to 70/75 and keep an eye on pressures. I was under the impression that these were maximum acceptable pressures cold or hot.

Dave
Old 11-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Good to know thank you. I will increase my cold tire pressure to 70/75 and keep an eye on pressures. I was under the impression that these were maximum acceptable pressures cold or hot.

Dave
FWIW, my canned thoughts on the settings of the TPMS system for a motorhome:

- WHAT DOES A TPMS TELL ME, REALLY? - A TPMS on a motorhome should be considered more of a trend monitor. In other words, if all of the tires are behaving essentially the same and all of the tires are behaving essentially as you know they have in the past, the absolute numbers AND how much they change while towing are not that important.

Note that the direct sun on one side will raise the temps and pressures of those tires, more than you might expect. You can even see this effect while parked. That's why tires must have their pressure set while "cold".

"Cold" simply means "Today's outside air temperature BEFORE the tires have been used and BEFORE the direct sun has a chance to warm the tires."

"Cold" is NEVER a specific temperature.

- WHY YOU SEE PRESSURE INCREASES WHILE DRIVING - As long as the cold pressure is set appropriately for the weight any pressure increase while traveling is pretty much irrelevant UNLESS the tire is overloaded or under-inflated.

- WHY ARE PRESSURE INCREASES NORMALLY NOT A CONCERN? - Because the tires are designed to easily handle those pressure increases as long as the tires are not overloaded or under-inflated. The pressure increases are normal and they are expected.

- WHAT DOES THE PRESSURE ON THE TIRE SIDEWALL MEAN, REALLY? - The pressure molded into the tire sidewall is a constant source of confusion. It is NOT the maximum pressure the tire should ever see.

That molded pressure is the air pressure needed in the tire to safely support the MAXIMUM weight that the tire is designed for WHEN COLD.

- WHY YOU SEE TEMPERATURE INCREASES WHILE DRIVING - It's the same reason as above. When the tires are being used there is road friction and their temperature will go up, the same as how their pressure goes up. Also, the sun shining directly on one side will raise the pressure and temperatures on just those tires.

- HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT PRESSURE TO SET MY MOTORHOME TIRES TO? - Motorhome tires should have their MINIMUM pressures set by the actual "as weighed" weight according to the tire manufacturer's manual, also called the load inflation chart.[B]

If you have never had the motorhome weighed, start with the pressures on the inside sticker. Those pressures, by law, are the MINIMUM pressure needed to fully support the design weight rating of each axle, its GAWR (gross axle weight rating) when using the tires installed by the motorhome manufacturer.

If you are using an axle weigh, such as a CAT Scale, the generally-accepted wisdom is to add 5% to the total axle weight before looking up the inflation chart. The load inflation charts assume an even weight distribution left-to-right and that's a good assumption for a car or a truck, but not an RV.

RV's can have as much as a 10% difference in weight between the driver side and the passenger side. If you use the load inflation charts with the real axle weights you can be under-inflating one tire, the heavier side. On ours that could be a 5 PSI under-inflation and if the weights were shifted a bit it could be a 10 PSI under-inflation on the heavier side tire.

NEVER try to extrapolate the load inflation chart numbers. Always use the next higher weight in the chart if you're between two.

I actually add an extra 10% over the inflation chart to accommodate for day-to-day temperature variations without having to "chase" the tire pressures. I only have to add air maybe once a year on our Class A.

For example, before we leave Florida in early April I'll have the tires at about 100 PSI even though my sticker pressure is 90 PSI. When I get to northern Ohio a week later with temps in the mid-30's the tire pressures will be in the low 90's for all tires. I will not need to adjust the tire pressures until we leave in November, maybe not even then.

NEVER let air out of a hot tire even if the pressure is higher than the molded sidewall pressure. The pressure will drop as the tire cools. DO NOT exceed the pressure on the sidewall when inflating the tire cold either.

- LOW PRESSURE ALARM - This is the critical alarm. A tire that is 20% below the required pressure is considered flat and subject to hidden damage.

The LOW PRESSURE alarm should be set to no lower than 10% below the required cold pressure to give you an adequate amount of time to get pulled over, add air to get to a tire shop, or whatever is needed.

For example, if your tires are supposed to be set cold to 90 PSI to handle the weight they're carrying, then the Low Pressure alarm should be set to alarm at no lower than 81 PSI and 72 PSI is considered flat.

- HIGH PRESSURE ALARM - As long as the cold pressure is set appropriately for the actual weight of the motorhome axles (or corners), the pressure increase while traveling is pretty much irrelevant.

Why? Because the tires are designed to easily handle those pressure increases as long as the tires are not overloaded. The pressure increases are normal and they are expected. Again, NEVER let air out of a hot tire. Never.

- HIGH TEMPERATURE ALARM - On a motorhome it's pretty much useless as long as the tires are not underinflated or overloaded. That's why the default is set so high, close to 160 degrees F. I leave mine set to the default. It's the temperature of the layers of tread that's important, not the temperature of the air in the valve stem.

That large metal wheel also acts as a heat sink. Unlike a trailer with smaller wheels and tires, the large wheels and tires can dissipate some heat from a bad wheel bearing or a dragging brake. That makes a TPMS "high temperature" alarm less useful on a motorhome for detecting mechanical failures.

- SEPARATE TPMS DISPLAY OR A PHONE APP FOR THE DISPLAY? - Do you really want a critical safety feature dependent on a phone being charged or on some phone update breaking the TPMS functionality? Or be futzing with a phone when an alarm goes off while driving? Not me but perhaps you are OK with it.

- IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A TPMS THAT IS FULLY CONFIGURABLE? - Note that at least one TPMS manufacturer does NOT let the owner set their own alarm thresholds. They try to do your thinking for you by using a "percentage of baseline" for all alarms. When selecting a TPMS system be aware of that limitation. Personally, I would never buy that system but others like it.

- BUT A TPMS IS SO EXPENSIVE! - A TPMS is not cheap but it is cheap insurance and only has a one-time premium payment.

In most cases the price of a TPMS is less than the cost of one tire and much less than repairing the damage from a tire that disassembled itself at highway speeds because it was driven on flat for many miles and you never noticed.

THIS IS IMPORTANT -> A motorhome has dualies on one side because that number of tires is required to safely support the weight on that side. When one tire fails, the other tire(s) must assume the weight that the flat tire was supporting.

On a dually motorhome that means the remaining tire is now carrying 100% of the weight on the rear instead of 50% and undoubtedly is massively overloaded. The longer that tire is overloaded the more likely that it will fail sooner.

If you drove on one tire and have no idea when the other tire failed, you REALLY should replace BOTH tires on that side. The remaining tire will fail sooner but no one knows it if will be in weeks or months, but it will. And then you go through the whole problem again except you may now have also damaged the tire you just replaced.

Make sense?

Ray
Old 11-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
FWIW, my canned thoughts on the settings of the TPMS system for a motorhome:

- WHAT DOES A TPMS TELL ME, REALLY? - A TPMS on a motorhome should be considered more of a trend monitor. In other words, if all of the tires are behaving essentially the same and all of the tires are behaving essentially as you know they have in the past, the absolute numbers AND how much they change while towing are not that important.

Note that the direct sun on one side will raise the temps and pressures of those tires, more than you might expect. You can even see this effect while parked. That's why tires must have their pressure set while "cold".

"Cold" simply means "Today's outside air temperature BEFORE the tires have been used and BEFORE the direct sun has a chance to warm the tires."

"Cold" is NEVER a specific temperature.

- WHY YOU SEE PRESSURE INCREASES WHILE DRIVING - As long as the cold pressure is set appropriately for the weight any pressure increase while traveling is pretty much irrelevant UNLESS the tire is overloaded or under-inflated.

- WHY ARE PRESSURE INCREASES NORMALLY NOT A CONCERN? - Because the tires are designed to easily handle those pressure increases as long as the tires are not overloaded or under-inflated. The pressure increases are normal and they are expected.

- WHAT DOES THE PRESSURE ON THE TIRE SIDEWALL MEAN, REALLY? - The pressure molded into the tire sidewall is a constant source of confusion. It is NOT the maximum pressure the tire should ever see.

That molded pressure is the air pressure needed in the tire to safely support the MAXIMUM weight that the tire is designed for WHEN COLD.

- WHY YOU SEE TEMPERATURE INCREASES WHILE DRIVING - It's the same reason as above. When the tires are being used there is road friction and their temperature will go up, the same as how their pressure goes up. Also, the sun shining directly on one side will raise the pressure and temperatures on just those tires.

- HOW DO I DETERMINE WHAT PRESSURE TO SET MY MOTORHOME TIRES TO? - Motorhome tires should have their MINIMUM pressures set by the actual "as weighed" weight according to the tire manufacturer's manual, also called the load inflation chart.[B]

If you have never had the motorhome weighed, start with the pressures on the inside sticker. Those pressures, by law, are the MINIMUM pressure needed to fully support the design weight rating of each axle, its GAWR (gross axle weight rating) when using the tires installed by the motorhome manufacturer.

If you are using an axle weigh, such as a CAT Scale, the generally-accepted wisdom is to add 5% to the total axle weight before looking up the inflation chart. The load inflation charts assume an even weight distribution left-to-right and that's a good assumption for a car or a truck, but not an RV.

RV's can have as much as a 10% difference in weight between the driver side and the passenger side. If you use the load inflation charts with the real axle weights you can be under-inflating one tire, the heavier side. On ours that could be a 5 PSI under-inflation and if the weights were shifted a bit it could be a 10 PSI under-inflation on the heavier side tire.

NEVER try to extrapolate the load inflation chart numbers. Always use the next higher weight in the chart if you're between two.

I actually add an extra 10% over the inflation chart to accommodate for day-to-day temperature variations without having to "chase" the tire pressures. I only have to add air maybe once a year on our Class A.

For example, before we leave Florida in early April I'll have the tires at about 100 PSI even though my sticker pressure is 90 PSI. When I get to northern Ohio a week later with temps in the mid-30's the tire pressures will be in the low 90's for all tires. I will not need to adjust the tire pressures until we leave in November, maybe not even then.

NEVER let air out of a hot tire even if the pressure is higher than the molded sidewall pressure. The pressure will drop as the tire cools. DO NOT exceed the pressure on the sidewall when inflating the tire cold either.

- LOW PRESSURE ALARM - This is the critical alarm. A tire that is 20% below the required pressure is considered flat and subject to hidden damage.

The LOW PRESSURE alarm should be set to no lower than 10% below the required cold pressure to give you an adequate amount of time to get pulled over, add air to get to a tire shop, or whatever is needed.

For example, if your tires are supposed to be set cold to 90 PSI to handle the weight they're carrying, then the Low Pressure alarm should be set to alarm at no lower than 81 PSI and 72 PSI is considered flat.

- HIGH PRESSURE ALARM - As long as the cold pressure is set appropriately for the actual weight of the motorhome axles (or corners), the pressure increase while traveling is pretty much irrelevant.

Why? Because the tires are designed to easily handle those pressure increases as long as the tires are not overloaded. The pressure increases are normal and they are expected. Again, NEVER let air out of a hot tire. Never.

- HIGH TEMPERATURE ALARM - On a motorhome it's pretty much useless as long as the tires are not underinflated or overloaded. That's why the default is set so high, close to 160 degrees F. I leave mine set to the default. It's the temperature of the layers of tread that's important, not the temperature of the air in the valve stem.

That large metal wheel also acts as a heat sink. Unlike a trailer with smaller wheels and tires, the large wheels and tires can dissipate some heat from a bad wheel bearing or a dragging brake. That makes a TPMS "high temperature" alarm less useful on a motorhome for detecting mechanical failures.

- SEPARATE TPMS DISPLAY OR A PHONE APP FOR THE DISPLAY? - Do you really want a critical safety feature dependent on a phone being charged or on some phone update breaking the TPMS functionality? Or be futzing with a phone when an alarm goes off while driving? Not me but perhaps you are OK with it.

- IS IT IMPORTANT TO HAVE A TPMS THAT IS FULLY CONFIGURABLE? - Note that at least one TPMS manufacturer does NOT let the owner set their own alarm thresholds. They try to do your thinking for you by using a "percentage of baseline" for all alarms. When selecting a TPMS system be aware of that limitation. Personally, I would never buy that system but others like it.

- BUT A TPMS IS SO EXPENSIVE! - A TPMS is not cheap but it is cheap insurance and only has a one-time premium payment.

In most cases the price of a TPMS is less than the cost of one tire and much less than repairing the damage from a tire that disassembled itself at highway speeds because it was driven on flat for many miles and you never noticed.

THIS IS IMPORTANT -> A motorhome has dualies on one side because that number of tires is required to safely support the weight on that side. When one tire fails, the other tire(s) must assume the weight that the flat tire was supporting.

On a dually motorhome that means the remaining tire is now carrying 100% of the weight on the rear instead of 50% and undoubtedly is massively overloaded. The longer that tire is overloaded the more likely that it will fail sooner.

If you drove on one tire and have no idea when the other tire failed, you REALLY should replace BOTH tires on that side. The remaining tire will fail sooner but no one knows it if will be in weeks or months, but it will. And then you go through the whole problem again except you may now have also damaged the tire you just replaced.

Make sense?

Ray
Thanks. Yeah I understand the TPMS is more of an indication of problems rather than an indication of actual tire pressures. I know what nominal is and if it deviates then I know I have an issue. I know when I'm heating up the brakes because the temp alarms go off. This also tells me that I may be able to determine if I have a hub or wheel bearing issue in the future if I start to notice elevated temps as well.

Dave
Old 11-11-2022, 08:47 PM   #13

FYI, Tireman9/ Roger Marble recommends 15% safety factor over load/inflation tables.For comparison, auto tires generally run with a 35% reserve capacity.

When you run a tire at 100% capacity you are asking for tire problems.
reference: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FYI, Tireman9/ Roger Marble recommends 15% safety factor over load/inflation tables.For comparison, auto tires generally run with a 35% reserve capacity.

When you run a tire at 100% capacity you are asking for tire problems.
reference: https://www.rvtiresafety.net/
Unfortunately w/ the load range E (10 ply) i cannot get to 115%. I've not corner weighed but i'm at 2,760 per front tire and 2,525 per rear right now. Adding a 15% fudge factor on a 235/85R16 would put me at 3,174/2,904. Max weight at 80PSI is 3,043/2,778. I may be looking into F or G load range tires next time but I'm only finding trailer tires in that size in either 12 or 14 ply (F/G)

Dave

Tags
tire