Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

18 or 19

I bought a 2019 HR model 40x as a 19 model and my title has is as a 19. However,HR does not have it on their web site as a 19, they don't even make any of the models with the 8.9 motor anymore. I called and gave them my vin and they looked it up and said its a 18 I told them that I bought is as a 19 and they said ok. MY mfg date is 11/18. The place where I got it also
still has a 44h up for sale as a 19 and they are not on the web site either. I think someone may own me some money. What do you think?
Thanks for your thoughs
okiebug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #2

I'm not 100% sure on RV's, but on most vehicles anything past June is normally the next years model. Usually it's later in the year but some early release new models can be as early as June. Did you mean your mfg date was 11/17? 11/18 isn't here yet
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

I bought in May of this year Mfg is 11/18. The website for the RV Group was
not updated until July this Year.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

Law says the manufacturer can assign the year they want to the completed rig.

A good rerad.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/how-i...ed-395896.html
Old 09-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mine’s BOD (Born On Date) was 8/2016. Listed everywhere as 2017.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebug13 View Post
I bought in May of this year Mfg is 11/18. The website for the RV Group was
not updated until July this Year.
How can it be manufactured in November '18 when it's only September?
Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #7

Legally speaking, if the Title issued by your State says it is a 2019....it is. This could also be supported by the chassis maker's model year, which some states use to determine model year instead of the coach builder's model year.

Thank your dealer for "certifying" to the State that you bought a 2019 model.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #8

I was wrong on the MFG date its 11/17 was bought in 5/18 I think it had been on the lot for 6 to 8 week at most. If you look at their web site its not listed
Old 09-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
his could also be supported by the chassis maker's model year, which some states use to determine model year instead of the coach builder's model year.

Actually, the state has no choice. Federal title law requires that the manufacturers designated year prevails. That model year is specified on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a federal document.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That model year is specified on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a federal document.
Splitting hairs, but it is not a federal document, but rather a document required by the federal laws.
If the manufacturer made a mistake, the remedy is for the manufacturer to issue a corrected one.

Its not that uncommon for state registration databases to have the wrong year. Especially with trailers, and motor homes. The VIN says this, and the document says that, I can see many clerks using the auto generated year (Generated by the VIN), and not taking the time to over ride the auto generated year.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Actually, the state has no choice. Federal title law requires that the manufacturers designated year prevails. That model year is specified on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, a federal document.
Gary, I hope you will agree there are usually two "manufactures" involved in an RV. Some states use the chassis maker's VIN # and model year to identify the RV. Since the chassis is labeled as an "incomplete vehicle", some states use the "upfitter's" (coach builder) model year because they created the finished product and issued the MSO. That is what I meant by "choice"

I can't imagine any reason REV would want to go to the trouble of trying to get the OP's Title corrected just so it will agree with their website
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Gary, I hope you will agree there are usually two "manufactures" involved in an RV. Some states use the chassis maker's VIN # and model year to identify the RV. Since the chassis is labeled as an "incomplete vehicle", some states use the "upfitter's" (coach builder) model year because they created the finished product and issued the MSO. That is what I meant by "choice"
From the wording I remember, the only one with the choice, is the final body upfitter. The Federal law says something to the effect of the final manufacturer has the authority to determine the model year. Gets goofy, as the chassis manufacturer is the one that assigns the VIN, so vehicles that started out as an incomplete vehicle, often have a year different from what the VIN decodes as. States do not have a choice, but I can see many making a mistake, and going by the VIN year.

Here, I found this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2009-08 Q & A's on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.pdf (30.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:40 PM   #13

Quote:
I think someone may own me some money. What do you think?
Thanks for your thoughs
Now that is funny!

I always assumed that anyone who bought a new MH was not worried about money.

If you buy a MH with plans to keep for 20 or more years, buying new makes sense.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:09 AM   #14

Quote:
I bought a 2019 HR model 40x as a 19 model and my title has is as a 19. However,HR does not have it on their web site as a 19, they don't even make any of the models with the 8.9 motor anymore. I called and gave them my vin and they looked it up and said its a 18 I told them that I bought is as a 19 and they said ok. MY mfg date is 11/18. The place where I got it also
still has a 44h up for sale as a 19 and they are not on the web site either. I think someone may own me some money. What do you think?
Thanks for your thoughs

Respectfully folks JMHO but I think this is another case of the dealer taking advantage. If I understand correctly what the OP says then the dealer bought an 18 model and knowingly sold it as a 19 model. Presumably for a 19 model price. What ever paper work of forms indicate it appears the dealer might be getting away with something and if they knowingly called it a 19 model when they knew it was an 18 then they have committed a crime I believe. The OP might be due some recourse here. JMHO
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote