Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #71

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a truck who had to pass me on a tight street (two lanes in each direction, but very tight for two large vehicles side by side). No damage done, but my tires skirted the curb, trying to avoid contact and felt like ?I almost lost control. It was a 30 mph zone, down hill. I stopped to check my tires. He was only two cars ahead of me at the light at the bottom oft the hill, which began a highway. Some have no manners or sense these days.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
I am noticing that more and more tractor trailer trailer are tracing to the right by as much as eight inches. DOT should be checking this at weigh stations. These guys might not realize they are crowding with the trailer. I try to watch where their trailer tires are in relation to the white lines as they come up on me. Gives me a heads up.
What you describe is named Thrust angle, and is often out that much on a semi-trailer due to running over curbs and stuff. no driver get the same trailer each trip, so the driver is unaware of the tracking problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I had a truck who had to pass me on a tight street (two lanes in each direction, but very tight for two large vehicles side by side). No damage done, but my tires skirted the curb, trying to avoid contact and felt like ?I almost lost control. It was a 30 mph zone, down hill. I stopped to check my tires. He was only two cars ahead of me at the light at the bottom oft the hill, which began a highway. Some have no manners or sense these days.
In situations like this, I pull over as far as I can and STOP, if the other driver hits me there is no doubt who is at fault.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My entire mirror assembly was whacked off by a semi at an exit. I was turning left, he went straight and was gone before I had a chance to see what happened after I heard the crash. I managed to get to a parking lot, where I notified the police. The mirror wasn’t salvageable, I was stuck there for 3 days waiting for a replacement, and it cost me $1200 plus campground fees. I didn’t turn it in to insurance since I had $1000 deductible and my rates would’ve been affected. I was planning to switch soon.
Travelernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #75

I have managed road construction for over 30 years and you are all missing the point. Hog the lane to be safe, but if there is an issue it is not always the responsibility of the other driver. It is the responsibility of the construction company that did not allow proper lane widths to accommodate the expected traffic. There is generally a sign that identifies the contractor. Send a claim to the road authority and mention the contractor. They have lots of insurance that will likely cover the minor costs without blinking an eye. They expect a certain amount of nuisance claims related to all sorts of things. If the claim is reasonable, it is cheaper for them to pay other then fight the issue.
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:01 AM   #76

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is why I have a dash camera. If a situation like this happened to me, after Mr. Courtious passed me and won’t pull over to exchange insurance or offer $ for their stupidity, then my insurance company gets a copy of the video and lastly, an attorney will view it if options #1 & #2 don’t work out. Yes, I’d be pushing the zoom button on the camera to catch the plate.
Jchemie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #77

i am a good driver, but, i don't drive 200,000 miles a year, in a vehicle 8ft wide, 60 feet long and 13 feet tall. If you had a rear cam, you might have realized that passing you on the left was an evasive move to keep from pushing the car that cut him off into the back of your rig. Could be you are luckier than you know.
tshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel View Post
So on a quick trip over the new years to Mo. For daughters wedding, had to get back today for work tomorrow. Anyway was in Wv on 64 and was in a construction zone with very narrow lanes. Signs posted everywhere no trucks in left lane. 55mph zone no passing. I'm motoring along pretty good no traffic and next thing I know this genius driving a big rig pulls into the left lane to pass me...I'm doing 60 mph in the right lane and this person comes blasting by....no room to move due to concrete walls and no room for 2 side by side wide rigs and wham there goes my mirror and the big rigs mirror flipping up in the air....was the time schedule that tight that they needed to fly by me at about 70mph in a no passing zone with very narrow lanes? Then the jerk has the nerve to keep blinking his or her lights as if to say sorry...I had to drive another 6 hours with little to no mirror. Hope I can find a replacement. The housing is still good I just need the glass part and new fish eye. What a jerk.... anyway at least we are all safe and it could have been a lot worse. After the hit he or she started weaving bad. I let off and kept the coach steady and straight hoping no wheels touch. Anyone out there ever deal with something like this. I know they are trying to make time but at what cost. Thank the goodness the Lord was keeping me safe.
Glad to see that y'all made it out ok.

Driving in highway/freeway construction zones and down steep grades is my main, mostly only concerns while behind the controls of our MH.
corgum13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #79

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in WV and a few years ago, a Swift Motor Freight truck clipped my daughter's mirror at an intersection in Lewisburg, WV, but did not stop. She managed to get his license number and contacted the local police dept. They did a report , but the police officer decided to take the easy way out and put in his report that he felt the truck driver was unaware of his truck tearing off my daughter's mirror> That way he had no obligation to pursue a "hit and run" situation, etc. But I contact Swift Trucking and had to file a report with them. Then, the back pedaling began. They tried every way they could to get out of paying the $400 damage estimate to my daughter's car mirror. I found that most trucking companies own their own insurance company to deal with liability issues if the damages are under one million dollars. Their insurance company continued to stall on paying any amount of money until former Congressman Nick Joe Rahall was to come to my home town the next day to meet with people who have a need for his services. He was the Ranking Member of the House Ways and Means Committee which oversees highway transportation matters. I emailed the contact person who had kept brushing me off, advising him that the following day, I will speak to my Congressman Rahall, and let him know how I feel about allowing Swift Motor Freight to drive through the State of West Virginia, tear up residents' vehicles, and the company just continue to own up to their liability. The matter had gone on, at this point for 5 months. But to my advantage, the person who had stalled all these months, was on vacation, and a lady was filling in for him When she read my email, I immediately received an email from her, requesting my daughter's address, so she could mail out a check for $400. It was received a few days later. Apparently, it is advantageous for trucking companies to have their own insurance company so they can control the liability payout to victims. Every time I see a Swift Motor Freight truck, I think about this unfortunate experience for my family.
longtom1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Many young & foreign (nothing wrong with being young or foreign)
When being "young or foreign" results in inadequate ability to control the vehicle, that **IS** a problem. Say it like it is.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
I was driving down the road and saw a delivery truck parked on the shoulder. What I did not realize was the shoulder was not wide enough for the delivery truck and his mirror was sticking in my lane. Needless to say my passenger side mirror struck his driver side mirror. Broke my mirror head off and it slammed against the side of my motorhome. The only thing that stopped it from hitting the pavement were the wires inside the mirror's arm. The truck mirror was on a metal style tube that pushed forward and broke his mirror. Gave him $60 and told him to fix it instead of dealing with insurance and fighting who was at fault. Ran me a couple hundred bucks to get my mirror head fixed.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:27 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O View Post
Google Ramco mirrors. If you are a ClassA good chance. Check their on line parts. Lost a rt side mirror in a tunnel when another ClassA crowded me over. Ramco was very helpful and reasonable in price.

Thanks I'll take a look, just to give an update to all, thanks again for all that reply or commented. I pulled all the broken glass from the mirror housing. Looks like I can replace the glass with replacement. The issue I now have is the set screw that keeps the mirror from spinning in the socket is now stripped, I hope to drill it out and tap new threads in Hope's I can save the assembly.
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
I lost my right mirror - arm and all - in KY. I still had the head dangling by the wires. A few feet of duct tape around the head and the awning bracket got me to Napanee and a Ramco replacement through Newmar.
The new assembly is black plastic and frankly looks better than the painted original. I ordered another assembly from Ramco and boxed up the undamaged original as a spare.

Do yourself a favor and remove the set screws one at a time, anti-seize them and reinstall. Otherwise, they eventually seize in the arm.
Dealing with this now.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:44 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshannon View Post
i am a good driver, but, i don't drive 200,000 miles a year, in a vehicle 8ft wide, 60 feet long and 13 feet tall. If you had a rear cam, you might have realized that passing you on the left was an evasive move to keep from pushing the car that cut him off into the back of your rig. Could be you are luckier than you know.
??? Ok? That required the driver to be pushing 70 mph in a clearly marked construction zone with signs for miles stating no passing no trucks in left lane? Speed is always a factor in these situations.