Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #1

18 wheeler smacked mirror!

So on a quick trip over the new years to Mo. For daughters wedding, had to get back today for work tomorrow. Anyway was in Wv on 64 and was in a construction zone with very narrow lanes. Signs posted everywhere no trucks in left lane. 55mph zone no passing. I'm motoring along pretty good no traffic and next thing I know this genius driving a big rig pulls into the left lane to pass me...I'm doing 60 mph in the right lane and this person comes blasting by....no room to move due to concrete walls and no room for 2 side by side wide rigs and wham there goes my mirror and the big rigs mirror flipping up in the air....was the time schedule that tight that they needed to fly by me at about 70mph in a no passing zone with very narrow lanes? Then the jerk has the nerve to keep blinking his or her lights as if to say sorry...I had to drive another 6 hours with little to no mirror. Hope I can find a replacement. The housing is still good I just need the glass part and new fish eye. What a jerk.... anyway at least we are all safe and it could have been a lot worse. After the hit he or she started weaving bad. I let off and kept the coach steady and straight hoping no wheels touch. Anyone out there ever deal with something like this. I know they are trying to make time but at what cost. Thank the goodness the Lord was keeping me safe.
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2020, 11:30 PM   #2

Glad to hear that you are safe! I've seen it once in not so reckless conditions. They both pulled over. You should have called the police or the trucking company.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #3

No time to look for na.e on truck and they were moving at a good clip as I was slowing down
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A semi also hit my mirror in narrow construction lanes. The semi hit me with an object far back strapped to the flatbed, so maybe he never knew it happened. I followed the guy for several miles hoping he/she would get off at an exit so we could deal with it, but he never stopped, and I never could catch him.

THEN I started to feel grateful that he never stopped. How could I prove he was in my lane, and what to do if he asked me to pay for damage he did to the freight he was hauling? MAYBE I got off easy...
Old 01-02-2020, 02:14 AM   #5

As somebody mentioned in another recent thread, everybody should have a dash-cam nowadays. They're getting really inexpensive and easy to use.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

Dashcam - darn it.

There are apps that will turn your old phone or tablet into a dash cam that offers all the bennies of a dedicated unit...

Just sayin' -we should all have them (I've been lazy, I'll admit it - however, my wife got T-boned in our car and third fellow had a dashcam and gave her this chip. The video clearly showed the second car running through a red light to hit my wife - she's okay. Opposing insurance company saw the video and suddenly was very nice and willing to pay out immediately.)
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #7

Ive not had a hit, but several near misses. Most memorable was going eastbound on I20 a little west of atlanta. Construction zone, narrow lanes, concrete barricades on my right. Truck in left lane going way over posted limit. I saw him coming, and just could not avoid the timing. He came abreast of me just as the roadway (and the concrete to my right) took a swerve to the left. It was a close thing, but by carefully nudging over to the right i was able to avoid contact.

I had the same reaction as you: could he not have waited until the road was straighter? He was probably just on cruise control and not paying attention ... or just didnt care ... or was just being stupid or was tired. Doesn’t matter really ... gotta keep an eye out on all those other drivers..
Old 01-02-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
If I judge the construction lanes too narrow and unsafe for an 18 wheeler to safely pass me I’ll simply straddle the center line, turn on flashers, and keep my speed up so I’m not impeding traffic. I put my and my family safety first and don’t really care if following traffic doesn’t like it. Most narrow construction lanes are relatively short so no real inconvenience to others.
I’ve also seen other 18 wheelers do the same thing! In 22 years of big rig rving I’ve had no adverse reactions from other drivers.
Jag73e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #9

Find a glass shop for replacement mirror. I whacked mine in a toll booth, new glass was under $10 , dropped it off was done in a couple hours. Drive home was good.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:39 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
I had the same thing happen in a construction area near Dayton Ohio on I-70 last summer. Not quite so severe. The flexible box on the semi-trailer left black rub marks on the outside of the white mirror housing. I think that I lost several years of my life in that incident.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
As somebody mentioned in another recent thread, everybody should have a dash-cam nowadays. They're getting really inexpensive and easy to use.
I agree that everyone should have a dash camera, it wouldn't have shown the truck taking off his mirror but it sure would have helped identifying the truck. After being cut off in traffic several times I purchase on and each time I take the rig out it is on the dash.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #12

A pro truck driver today is very different from 30 years ago. I have absolutely noticed a decline in today's drivers. I have drivers delivering/picking up at my dock every day & half of them need 5 attempts just to back in. Many young & foreign (nothing wrong with being young or foreign) & light on experience. Biggest problem is these guys seem all too willing to drive over their skill level on the interstate as well.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag73e View Post
If I judge the construction lanes too narrow and unsafe for an 18 wheeler to safely pass me I’ll simply straddle the center line, turn on flashers, and keep my speed up so I’m not impeding traffic. I put my and my family safety first and don’t really care if following traffic doesn’t like it. Most narrow construction lanes are relatively short so no real inconvenience to others.
I’ve also seen other 18 wheelers do the same thing! In 22 years of big rig rving I’ve had no adverse reactions from other drivers.
Yes! Never let traffic behind you dictate the way you should drive. Do your thing...safely.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
I recently "kissed" mirrors with a full-size transit bus. Lower speed, but still unnerving.

San Francisco - rush hour traffic - 19th Ave approaching the Golden Gate Bridge.

The lanes are ridiculously narrow here. I was in the middle lane doing my best to fit between the lines, and the bus was on the right (passing parked cars). As I passed the bus, I heard a "WACK" and looked at my right mirror, which was now folded up against my coach.

With the thick traffic, there was nowhere to pull over easily, but the bus pulled up next to me at the next stop, we assessed the (lack of) damage through our respective windows, and agreed to go our separate ways.

I think it was a mutual-fault situation. I will attest that I was likely too far right and he was too far left, but it taught me why so many on this forum steer clear of city driving - or at least in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Here's a view of the conditions that day (with the GG Bridge in the distance).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1678.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	271199  
BJohnsonsv is offline   Reply With Quote