Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #1

19.5 Wheel upgrade HELP NEEDED please

I am currently running stock wheels w/ 8R 19.5 tires= 8.2” wide x 34”
The tires are too skinny at the duals- I’d like to go w/ aggressive tread. 245’s are all that’s really available (9.5”w x 33.5” tall) so they are shorter. I want to bring the rear end up more- not down. Also the 245’s may rub.
Can I get different wheels and then taller tires without changing the hub?
Any help would be great. And if anyone is selling tires/wheels please let me know.
I put 245’s on the front. They are much wider than the old pizza cutters.
I’d be fine with changing all the wheels if needed.

Thank you!
Happy Camping
Hotrod460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please tell us the chassis brand, year and model. This may get more and better responses. You might add chassis information to a signature line for your posts.

I used 225 70/R19.5 tires on the front of my P32 Chevrolet chassis. The 245 70/R19.5 tires are too wide for the wheels on that chassis and weigh considerably more than the 225 70/R19.5 tires. I didn't want additional un-sprung weight that would have contributed to handling/ride problems.

I stayed with the 8R19.5 tires on the rear of my motorhome.

Just curious, do you want wider tires on the back because they look better or for an improvement in performance.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #3

I changed from the 8R 19.5 to 225 70 19.5 on my p30 chassis. That is the widest tire that you can fit on the stock rim. It is also the widest for the proper spacing when used as a duel tire. Going to 245's , you will have to replace the rims.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #4

What wheels/rims should I look for?

The whole point of my post is to upgrade wheels to different size to allow for taller tires.
Looking for info on what wheels interchange with Oshkosh chassis.
Or would I have to change hubs?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call a tire shop........ They could answer the question better than anyone here.
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #6

If you have six lugs, they're Budd lug-centered rims. Accuride lists them but only six-inch size, which is what you have
Old 12-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You still haven't told us your chassis. But based on your desire for a wider tire that is also taller than 34" I think you will have to go to a 22.5" wheel/tire combo such as this wheel: 22.5 American Force Beast and a 9R22.5 tire such as 9R22.5 Toyo Tire

At 9" in width and approximately 38.5 in tall it meets your requirements. I have no idea if it would fit in the wheel well. In addition it would effectively change the gear ratio requiring a speedometer change and the taller tire would reduce the amount of torque at the tire/ground contact point and reduce the pulling power.

It would also cost a lot of money.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:45 PM   #8

Oshkosh

OP already said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod460 View Post
... Oshkosh chassis.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #9

Thanks guys. Mainly I am just trying to get the engine and transmission pans off the ground more. I take this thing deep into the forest.
I’m good a sourcing used parts. I appreciate the 19.5 x 7.5 info.
Or if nothing else perhaps I’ll get lucky snd find aggressive
8R 19.5 tires. I thought going taller would make it slower off the line but better MPG’s.
Would hate to lose torque. Couldn’t see it being that much though...
Thank you!
Jeff
Old 12-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #10

Check these out!
https://simpletire.com/brands/goodye...&mpn=139065028
Old 12-06-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod460 View Post
Hi Hotrod,

I had a 1988 Bounder on a Chevy P32 chassis. The factory tires on it were 8R19.5. I changed to the 225/70R19.5 tires on the front but kept the 8R19.5 highway tires on the rear. I too go off road. I never worried about bashing the engine or transmission pans. The motorhome set down over the frame such that the motorhome body would get whacked before the drivetrain stuff. I only bashed the body once!

Have you had it into the locations you wish to take it? If so how was your traction. I found that I had excellent traction. My favorite spot is 1O miles of dirt (not gravel) road off the pavement. On two occasions while I was towing my Jeep there was enough rain that the top 3" of the road was mud. This road has several grades of about 10% for short distances and was curvy and rough enough the 15 MPH was about the top speed I could go. The driver tires slipped a little a few times but I never had problems.

I also drove Monarch pass in a early 6" snow storm before the snow plows got there. I once drove towing the Jeep from Mammoth Hot Springs Yellowstone National Park to Sheridan, WY via I90 in an almost blizzard. There were cars and SUV's all over the ditches and I never spun a wheel.

What I'm trying to say is you may have plenty of traction with highway tires. Motorhomes put a large percentage of their weight on the drive axle. Maybe that is enough.

Whatever you decide good luck. I looked around and other sources for the traction tire in 8R19.5. Here are a couple places at a far less price: SpeedyTire and Amazon

Hopefully they actually have tires...not just a good price for tires that are out of stock!
Old 12-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #12

I ended up ordering 4 Goodyear’s for $800 delivered from simpletire ! Should help huge when out in sketchy areas.
Peace ��☮️
Goodyear G633 RSD, 8.00/R19.5
Old 05-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #13

Hotrod460, I am curios on how these tires worked out for you?
I almost just ordered a set myself because speedytire had them for an extremely low price - < $120 a tire, but then I found that the speed rating is only 50 MPH. That won't work for me.

On upgrading the wheels - I've bought a pair of wheels from an Isuzu Fuso/Hino that are the 6 hole bud wheel, but are 6.75" inch wide instead of 6" wide (came of of ebay - never used). They should be ok to fit a 245 wide tire. Planning on putting those on the front someday maybe.
tedrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrv View Post
Hotrod460, I am curios on how these tires worked out for you?
I almost just ordered a set myself because speedytire had them for an extremely low price - < $120 a tire, but then I found that the speed rating is only 50 MPH. That won't work for me.

On upgrading the wheels - I've bought a pair of wheels from an Isuzu Fuso/Hino that are the 6 hole bud wheel, but are 6.75" inch wide instead of 6" wide (came of of ebay - never used). They should be ok to fit a 245 wide tire. Planning on putting those on the front someday maybe.
Hotrod460 hasn't logged into the forum for almost a year and a half when he started this thread. I'm wondering if he will see your question.

However, I want to chime in on that particular tire you were asking him about. He gives a link to that tire at Simple Tire. If you go to that link in his post above, it actually is much worse than you thought --or maybe even he thought !!

The maximum speed according to that Simple Tire description of the tire is having a speed rating that is actually "B" which is 31 MPH according the the Simple Tire technical specs of that particular tire:

Max Speed 31 mph (B Rated)
Maximum speed capability to safely carry a load for an extended period of time.

If you were looking at a speed rating chart, you may have been looking a the kilometer per hour column that reflects that the maximum speed is 50 km/h and that will be equivalent to 31 mph ...see attached.

I hope Hotrod460 is okay as that tire appears to be made for local delivery trucks that evidently need an aggressive tread design for city deliveries in conditions that need increased traction capabilities. Let's hope he didn't order those for his motorhome as he wouldn't have wanted to drive a motorhome for extended periods on anything but city streets or off-road trails.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speed rating chart.png
Views:	56
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	364334  
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade