Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #1

1983 Coachmen Class A 454 Engine removal

We've got a 454 ready to swap but don't know where to start to get the existing motor out of the motorhome.
Does anyone have experience with this particular model? I know it's old and I can't seem to find anything on it.
I'm no mechanic but I will have a mechanic telling me what to do so you're more than welcome to talk shop in your explanation.

Anything surrounding this topic that you feel you should share, please don't hesitate.

Thanks!
Zack_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I removed the engine from my MH, I first pulled the intake and exhaust manifolds, then I pulled the heads off leaving just the short block with the oil pan. Then I rented an engine hoist that broke down into pieces. Laid some plywood on the interior floor an reassembled the hoist inside the coach. Pulled the block and rolled it back by the side entry door and set it down. Disassembled the hoist and reassembled outside the entry door. Reached the hoist in thru the door, picked up the block and rolled it outside.
Really not that hard. If you have enough room at the doghouse opening and at the entry door you may not even have to pull the heads. My 460 engine was just too wide otherwise.
Mind you I had the advantage of a big slide out which gave me lots of floor space. You may have to pull furniture to make this plan work. Get your tape measure out to double check everything.
Best of luck with your swap.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:47 PM   #3

When I pulled the 455 olds engine in my 1976 GMC I rigged up an a frame over the engine compartment with an I beam and trolly that had a chain hoist attached to the trolly pulled the complete engine less the exhaust headers. Set it on a 4 wheel dolly when it reached the end of the I beam and rolled it to the door lifted it with a shop crane through the door then mounted to an engine stand from the shop crane .
Old 05-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

Wondering if you ever swapped the engine?

If so, how is the project going?
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #5

Thanks everyone! Engine swapped!

We ended up pulling the old engine out of the front. We took the carburetor and manifold off and ran a chain link across the opening of the engine to get the hoist as close to the engine as possible since there is not much room to lift the engine. We also removed the front bumper and and had to cut some of the fiber glass out when placing the new engine in but patched the fiberglass back together no problem. (That area is covered up by the bumper anyway).

I'd share some pics but don't know how here.

Thanks for everyones feedback! New (used) engine is running great but I'm currently renovating inside so haven't gotten out on the road yet.
Zack_13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, class a, coachmen, engine, removal