Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 PM   #1

1985 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Fuel issue

I have a 1985 Fleetwood PaceArrow that for some reason is not getting fuel, even tried running a fuel line from the brand new mechanical fuel pump to a 1 gallon jug and still not sucking fuel from the jug. did notice the fuel line moves pretty easily even with a clam tightened as tight as it will go, could this be the potential issue or did I get a faulty pump?
dev893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off, do you have a Ford or Chevy chassis? It would be common for there to also be an inline or possibly an in-tank electric pump. Tell us more about the chassis and someone may have more info for you to work with.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Seeing how Ford didn't start making class A chassis until 1988, you could have a Chevy P32 with 454 or an Oshkosh chassis with a 460 Ford engine. If you have a 454, there should be a fuel filter screwed into the front of the carb. Did you check it?
If you new mechanical fuel pump is not working, there is a good chance your timing chain has failed. Does the distributer rotor turn when you crank the engine?

Richard
Old 04-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
First off, do you have a Ford or Chevy chassis? It would be common for there to also be an inline or possibly an in-tank electric pump. Tell us more about the chassis and someone may have more info for you to work with.
Seeing as it's an issue with the mechanical pump it's not an issues with electrical pum. It's a Chevy 454
Old 04-18-2021, 10:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Seeing how Ford didn't start making class A chassis until 1988, you could have a Chevy P32 with 454 or an Oshkosh chassis with a 460 Ford engine. If you have a 454, there should be a fuel filter screwed into the front of the carb. Did you check it?
If you new mechanical fuel pump is not working, there is a good chance your timing chain has failed. Does the distributer rotor turn when you crank the engine?

Richard
I haven't check the distributor. But it ran when I parked it in august. Whent to start it since I'm selling it and carb and fuel pump were bone dry
Thought maybe diaphragm in pump was bad so it drained back to tank so I swapped mechanical pump and still no go. I'll pull the distributor cap tomorrow and check
Old 07-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #6

my motor home has remoter fuel pump back by gas tank mounted to frame. check if u have one and turn on key to listen if it is running. If not check wire
sagebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

in this day, yes it could definitely be a bad mechanical pump.

If you hooked a line directly from the pump to a jug and it didn't pump any fuel.
You either have a blockage from the tank to the line or the pump is bad.
Bad filter sock could keep fuel from being pumped or a number of issues.
PS todays fuel will evaporate from the carb within days really.

Some ppl add a electric pump to prime the carb before trying to start on vehicles they don't drive much, Otherwise you need to pump the peddle a few times while cranking to get fuel back into the carb.

It won't drain back out of the carb and pass the pump back into the tank.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fleetwood, fuel, pace arrow