Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

1987 Executive Diesel Pusher on Gillig Chassis Brakes

I have a 1987 Executive on a Gillig chassis with drum brakes front and rear.
Does anyone know if a front disc brake conversion kit is available for it?

Or, alternatively, should I move the brake servo linkage to the outermost hole on the brake lever arm?
MGAGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have the Gillig Air Ride suspension in the front?
Gillig left the RV business in '97, but continued to make school buses. It is likely they went to disc brakes in School buses in the later years.

Gillig did not make their own brake assemblies (and front axles, as far as I know). So it is likely that a setup from a newer school bus would work.
You need to ID the axle model to start with.

EDIT: I forgot to ask - do you have air brakes or hydraulic brakes? I assume air as the Executive is a big Coach
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Do you have the Gillig Air Ride suspension in the front?
Gillig left the RV business in '97, but continued to make school buses. It is likely they went to disc brakes in School buses in the later years.

Gillig did not make their own brake assemblies (and front axles, as far as I know). So it is likely that a setup from a newer school bus would work.
You need to ID the axle model to start with.

EDIT: I forgot to ask - do you have air brakes or hydraulic brakes? I assume air as the Executive is a big Coach
Gillig quit making school buses in the late seventies and concentrated on public transit buses. As mentioned above they got out of the RV chassis business in 97. They are still going strong and have moved from Hayward CA. to a brand new plant in Livermore CA. They are the second largest public transit bus manufacturer in the United States and make a very good product with unmatched support. Later Gillig's used Meritor axles, not sure about your chassis. I had the pleasure of going through their factory in Hayward CA. when they were still making RV chassis. I got to see a RV chassis on the dyno with a high horsepower series 60 Detroit, running against the governor, impressive. The tie down chains were taunt. If you have the chassis number Gillig parts may be able to pull up the build sheet on your chassis. Gillig may be able to help get you in touch with the regional representative of the company that made your front axle. That would be the person to talk to about retrofitting to disk brakes.
FrogHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #4

It is both air brakes and air suspension.
I will get the axle information and see where that leads.
MGAGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
They don't necessarily need to come from a Gillig chassis but from the same brand front axle that you have.
I think with enough searching you should be able to find a set of disc brakes that will fit.
You also need to think about a way to balance (bias) the brakes from front to rear. On hydraulic brakes this is easy, but on air brakes a little more difficult.
I hope you get it figured out.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:56 PM   #6

I think you would get more information from Bendix about conversion options than you would from Gillig.

https://thebrakereport.com/bendix-dos-and-donts/

Good luck.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, chassis, diesel