Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

1989 holiday rambler

I have found a 1989 holiday rambler aluma lite XL for sale and need some advice. I own a class c but this would be my first class a. This RV has 11,000 miles on it but the dash a/c only blows outside air temperature air. The generator won't start and the fridge doesn't work. Those are the biggest problems I have found. The roof looks to be in excellent shape and I don't see water stains anywhere on the ceiling. What would this RV be worth as is? I would try to look it up but I don't know what selections to make on the NADA site. Its 33' long I believe.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

89 HR

I for paid $6500 for my 88/89 with everything working. Mine had 67,000 miles on it. I feel like I got a great deal.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

I wouldn't pay more than a couple of grand. Fridge is going to be maybe $2000, cab AC $300 or so, generator could be a couple hundred or more, will probably need new tires $2000, engine work $1000 or so, batteries $200 - $300. You will need to reseal the roof, just for peace of mind, and who knows what else. The worst thing for an RV that is 24 years old is to sit and not be used. I would be more worried that it had 12,000 miles then 112,000 miles. When I bought my 87 Allegro I paid $3000 and put $2500 into it and it was in great shape. Sold it this last spring for what I had in it. Holiday Ramblers are very good MH and I'm sure this one is good, but with the items that don't work I would really low ball and see what happens.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #4

Older HR

Like I said, everything on mine worked, but I still made some changes. Took out the Dometic fridge and replaced it with an Avanti residential model that fit the hole for $300. Since I don't plan on boondocking, this works for me. I removed the icemaker that quit working after I bought my HR and made a cabinet with sliding shelf to fit that hole. Bought a portable icemaker and it works great, $100. Yours has been sitting a lot, makes sense to have engine checked. Roof - you can coat that yourself if it needs it. Check manufacturer's date on tires, you may or may not need tires. Generator - amy or may not need replacing, have it gone over by someone familiar with generators. You still have a good buy it you can get it for the right price. My advice would be to have an RV Tech check it over for you before purchase.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Thank y'all for your replies. I told the guy I couldn't do his asking price of 5 grand and he didn't even bother to ask what I would offer so he's not coming off the price. As much as I would have loved to have it I'm not spending 5k and then repair or replace all the broke stuff.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #6

I would move on 7 years ago I bought a 1985 every thing worked it was clean I gave premium for it $7000 you well find one
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
I have found a 1989 holiday rambler aluma lite XL for sale and need some advice. I own a class c but this would be my first class a. This RV has 11,000 miles on it but the dash a/c only blows outside air temperature air. The generator won't start and the fridge doesn't work. Those are the biggest problems I have found. The roof looks to be in excellent shape and I don't see water stains anywhere on the ceiling. What would this RV be worth as is? I would try to look it up but I don't know what selections to make on the NADA site. Its 33' long I believe.
We bought an 89 mobile traveler 30' class A with 26000 miles on it for $3750 .Everything works.We have been living in it for 7 months now and just completed a 2100 mile trip to Bullhead city Az. and socal in 104 degree heat.It ran great and the engine stayed cool.All systems work with new tires to boot.We got very lucky.The only repair was new u-joints and center bearing .Total cost $250.