RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

1990 Chev. Bounder 27' Fuel Tank Access Problem

I am working on this unit for a friend and need info; both the generator pickup and the engine fuel line appear to have breaches in the fuel tank, causing the the usual systems! Also the sending unit appears bad as well! I have looked over this thing and find it practically impossible to drop this tank. I have read current postings, on accessing the sending unit from the top (thru the floor), but have not found any posts referring to this year , make and model RV.
Does anyone have knowledge on this one?
Its a Chev. 454 chasis/Fleetwood --- I would rather make a cut in the floor to access everything. I do see that the filler tube enters the tank, about mid way. Is that generally where the access port is for this thing?
Any advice is greatly welcome!!!
ShadeTreeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2020, 08:41 PM   #2

Most of those older Bounders have a storage bay, or 2 above the fuel tank and then the coach floor above that. You would have to cut that inspection hole in the floor of the storage compartment.
What makes the tank so hard to drop. I've had a couple of older bounder fuel tanks out. You just have to be prepared for the weight.

Richard
Old 09-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the response, I'll take a second look at the unit and see how that measures up -- My first look see, I saw very little clearance around the tank! When you drop this thing down, it must be straight down, right? I don't see any clearance to reach the gas lines, while it comes down.
How much of a drop do you get before you can reach over the tank to disconnect the lines and the connector to the sending unit? Or, do you end up replacing stuff, anyway because of damage due to the drop?
Old 09-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #4

Usually a 6" to 8" drop will give you enough room to work with the fuel lines and wires. You'll want to do a full drop to replace the fuel pump & sending unit.

Richard
Old 09-23-2020, 06:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the info.
Can you recommend a parts supplier, that would have what I need for this unit?
A business web site for online ordering, preferably. I am out in Calif. North state area. I have been looking, but don't get much response when listing the year, make etc.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #6

1990 Thats a throttle body FI right.? The top of tank pickup ,pump and sending unit is part of fuel pump assembly. It's more than likely a Delphi /AC Delco/ Mr Goodwrench fuel pump assembly for the truck chassis bounder is made on. I wouldn't doubt same as GMC 1500 pickup truck. Don't waste your money on anything but one of those OEM if you need it. My last GM Fuel pump was about half price from Amazon than Autozone was. Sorry I'm not familiar how the generator is picking up the fuel.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #7

RockAuto https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...454,fuel+&+air

RockAuto is out of the fuel pump/sending unit assembly. But you can buy the sending unit and pump separately, assemble and install.

Richard
Old 09-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #8

Hey, thanks for all your help! We are looking right now for the complete assembly/with pump. Have sprayed down all bolts, nuts with liguid wrench and will let that set for a day or so to loosen up things, etc.
Have a great day!!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:13 AM   #9

The good part about Rock Auto is they usually give real Manufacture part # you can search that on Amazon , EBay or wherever and find parts that you couldn't find otherwise. Rock has the best clearance sale ever if you get lucky to stumble across on by accident. I will search for other parts I may need in future like wipers, plugs,wires ,cap, rotor to find the bargains. Certain parts I will only go OEM but I have many trusted brands. Downside an order may come from several warehouses and run up shipping cost. I have also stopped making an order several times for that reason.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fuel, problem, tank