Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

1990 Winnebago Chieftain

I own a 1990 Winnebago that is 36 ft long and 10 ft high. The outside and inside is in great condition, but the engine recently blew out. I am stuck trying to find an RV lot to own to get the RV towed over, or selling it for whatever I can get ( realizing I will not get the full amount back that I paid for.)
Would I be better off to keep on trying to find a lot to own and tow it and go from there or sell it?
Who would even purchase the RV with a blown engine? How much could I get for it? I know this all sounds crazy, but I don’t know where else to turn for some advice or answers.
Modcruz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "RV lot to own" as that is rather nebulous. Can you clarify what you mean by that?

A 30-year old motorhome that needs a new engine I'm thinking is not worth that much. As an example, here's a 36' 1990 Winnebago Chieftain with an asking price of $1,500. Not sure what they actually sold it for, however.

1990 Winnebago Chieftain - $1500

Purchasing real estate to park a 30-year old motorhome doesn't seem logical to me.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #3

I meant purchasing an RV lot in a campground with a hook up to mount the RV.
I paid 6,000 for the RV, when purchased, everything was up and running.
Would anywhere allow me to trade this in for a 5th wheel or where could I sell this RV to someone that could fix the issues on their own?
Modcruz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:54 PM   #4

You say the inside and out is in "great" condition? Your idea and my idea of "great" can be two different things. What are the miles? Rear end/transmission condition? Someone who has the tools and experience to swap the motor will be interested, you just have to find them.

Your stuck with something that now is a liability, not a luxury and no doubt is giving you an anxiety headache. Look at it this way... Do you/have you enjoyed it? If the motor was still working how long would you have continued to own it? What I'm saying is maybe its worth a new motor. You won't be able to replace it with anything decent for what... maybe $10,000+? As it stands now your at the mercy of whatever offer you can get to come your way.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Can I ask what happened that threw the motor?
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
About the only thing that might have any value is the generator...IF it is running good. Otherwise, you might want to donate it to charity or just have a wrecking yard take it away.

Rebuilding or putting in a used engine will most likely cost more than the RV is worth, even if someone bought it and did their own labor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Rebuilding or putting in a used engine will most likely cost more than the RV is worth, even if someone bought it and did their own labor.
No doubt it will but I can't help but think its cheaper then looking for a newer replacement MH.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Is this your primary residence or just do your recreation vehicle?
All things are only worth what you can get someone to pay. local market will set price and duration of sale. very unlikely anyone will pay to haul a project of this nature long distance.
It cant hurt to try and sell while you make your long term decision. I wouldn't recommend putting additional money into it.
If you get a dealer desperate for a sale, you have access to other funds, and the sun and moon line up; you might be able to dump it off on dealer in a deal but it would be a longshot one in a million deal.

best of luck
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:10 AM   #8

If the rest of it is as good as you say and you are comfortable with the unit I would check on replacing the engine. It would be a lot cheaper than replacing the entire unit. Looking at the brochure it looks like they were a nice coach at the time.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

With a blown engine on such an old coach, it's value is essentially zero. You can have it dragged to an RV site and treat it as a park model RV, never moving again. Or you can have to towed to an RV salvage yard, and hope they don't charge you for taking it off your hands. Or you can dig deep and buy a used diesel engine for it, but that is going to be 10's of thousands unless you can do the work yourself.

As someone said, the generator has some value if you can find a buyer. Very little else has value - there isn't a great demand for old Chieftain parts.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

NADA says low value is $8500. Also says its a gas engine, not diesel. I don't know what that means for finding and replacing the engine.
Its probably not a financially sound investment, but no motorhome is. I recently camped next to a Winnebago of that era, that was lovingly restored and looked great. It was owned and being enjoyed by a mid-30ish couple with two kids. Fixing it up had been a family project for them and provided many hours of enjoyment.
As far as finding an ownership park, my experience is that they sre the parks with age rules and would probably never allow a non-running motorhome no matter how good it looked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
With a blown engine on such an old coach, it's value is essentially zero. You can have it dragged to an RV site and treat it as a park model RV, never moving again. Or you can have to towed to an RV salvage yard, and hope they don't charge you for taking it off your hands. Or you can dig deep and buy a used diesel engine for it, but that is going to be 10's of thousands unless you can do the work yourself.

As someone said, the generator has some value if you can find a buyer. Very little else has value - there isn't a great demand for old Chieftain parts.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

Agree. It might be worth a used engine if you can find one, or a rebuilt if you can't, but it has to be worth it to the OP.

If that's an Onan BGA 5K genset, you might want to keep it or sell it. Those things run for about three days past forever. If you can find an electronic ignition module for it, all the better. One of those gensets backs up our house (we don't use the oven or machine tools but it's enough power for the well, furnace, lights, and TV).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:19 AM   #12

That coach has a 454 Chevy engine in it. There are thousands of them around. I've seen rebuilt ones on the internet for $3,000. Used ones are out there for much less. I don't know where the 10's of thousands came from .Of course they are not easy to change so labor adds up. The condition of the coach would dictate a lot as to the viability of doing it. Now it's worth nothing.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:01 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That coach has a 454 Chevy engine in it. There are thousands of them around. I've seen rebuilt ones on the internet for $3,000. Used ones are out there for much less. I don't know where the 10's of thousands came from .
Chieftains are often diesels and that's what I was guestimating, but you are probably right about the 1990 being a 454. In any case, that $3000 doesn't include removing the old engine and installing a new one, which was my main point. A DIY guy and a used engine may be practical, but paying a shop to put in a new or rebuilt is probably not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #14

S.S Precision || Precision Metal Work
Rebuilt long block $1900.00. Not including core exchange and shipping to you.
Core Exchange: ($400.00?)
Shipping: (400.00?)
Labor: ($100.00/hour, 10 hrs. in and 10 out, $2000.00?)
So for something like $4800, maybe $5800 to $6800 when you factor in shop supplies or misc expenses you can have your 454 replaced with a rebuild. Maybe the labor is too low? Double this if a dealership does it and not a local garage or a capable small town mechanic. Dunno. I guess it depends on sticking with the devil you know or not.

I've swapped motors before but never in a MH. I like mine and try to take care of it and hope to have it for another 8 or so years. I've put money and blood into it. It has been expensive but I can't simply look for another mid 90's without considering spending 8 or 9+ grand and then what... How are the tires, brakes, etc... It goes on and on.

OP what are you thinking?

Tags
winnebago