Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #1

1991 encounter

Hi all i am new to the site but was given a 1991 encounter with 40000 miles and am going to re do it but I cannot seem to find parts for the Oshkosh chassis if anyone has any info on them please let me know!
aaron8625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
We still have our 1989 Encounter. It was built on a John Deere chassis. That chassis was sold to Oshkosh about 1991. I'd expect that your chassis is very similar to ours. I have posted the chassis manual and some related literature. Feel free to download any or all of the files from JD chassis
Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #3

Yes it does have the Oshkosh chassis. Thanks for the reply I'm going to see what I can dig up threw your manual!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

Ok my question is when you go to a parts store to buy say a caliper is it a ford related part number or from freight liner ? I'm having a power steering problem that when under load it feels like the steering box is grinding and missing gears but when I jack it up the wheels turn fine any ideas ?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Freightliner purchased Oshkosh chassis. You need to call Freightliner with your VIN. Might also want to joing the Yahoo Freightliner group.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron8625 View Post
Ok my question is when you go to a parts store to buy say a caliper is it a ford related part number or from freight liner ? I'm having a power steering problem that when under load it feels like the steering box is grinding and missing gears but when I jack it up the wheels turn fine any ideas ?

Silly ? Have you checked the fluid?
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
For brake parts, radiator hoses, etc. are what I'd classify as chassis specific parts. They certainly are used on other vehicles but you probably will have no info on the specific part uses. A FORD F-350 is the closest that may use similar parts. The chassis will be about 1 year older than the RV. I've followed two routes to find special parts; call Freightliner or take the part off and take it to many part stores until you find a match. By parts stores I mean car & heavy duty truck parts stores. Freightliner has been very helpful in the past, but my last call to them for this chassis was 5+ years ago. Even at that time all they had available to them was paper books to look up the info. Our local heavy duty truck shop has provided good support too. Most major parts will have parts numbers or casting numbers on them that can be used to track down a replacement.

The chassis was also used for StepVans, UPS & FedEx trucks, etc. Another source for parts is Mill Supply. Their phone support is good too.

I did have to replace one of the power steering pumps due to a housing seam leak. It was a special order from Freightliner, but have a FORD number on it. The other power steering pump powers the brake's hydro-boost system.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #8

Great thanks guys. I have checked all fluids it was a odd case but it seems to be working but the power steering pump is weak and wines a lot . Prob an indication it it starting to go
Old 09-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
There maybe air in the system. With the engine running, turn the steering wheel to the extremes in each direction a few times. This helps purge the air out. The pumps do whine when working, such as turning the steering wheel to its limit with the foot brake fully applied.