Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #1

1991 Grand Villa

Have a chance to pick up a '91 Foretravel with a new engine [3208] for $5000 but it's about a 7 hour drive from me and the tires are dry rotted and he said there is a leak around the rear AC but has kept it covered, the original fridge is missing but replaced with a stainless one, also the inverter is bad, I'll be right upfront with you I know nothing about motorhomes and would appreciate your opinions on it, it appears to be dirty inside and out
GLT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #2

All expensive items, I would not move it with rotted tires, approx $2500 to 3K upfront for tires. Sounds like 10K to 15K minimum for repairs.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #3

If you cannot work on it ? walk away ! you don't have to know everything but if your not handy and have tools then you will be in way over your head
swampdog2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
If you cannot work on it ? walk away ! you don't have to know everything but if your not handy and have tools then you will be in way over your head
Mechanical knowledge is something I do have, I just don't have any motorhome experience, I'm wondering if the price reflects even more hidden damage and what it is actually worth, thanks for your input
Old 08-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
All expensive items, I would not move it with rotted tires, approx $2500 to 3K upfront for tires. Sounds like 10K to 15K minimum for repairs.
He claims he drove it 2 hours when he bought it from his uncle and said it runs great, I'm just not sure what it's worth with everything needing attention, thanks
Old 08-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLT3 View Post
Mechanical knowledge is something I do have, I just don't have any motorhome experience, I'm wondering if the price reflects even more hidden damage and what it is actually worth, thanks for your input
I would think the "new" 3208 motor alone is worth more than $5K. Do you know what tranny it has?

ANY 30 year old MH is going to need a lot more than just a good cleaning, but at that price you could perhaps at least break even if you parted it out.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #7

May make someone a fine coach.

NOT, repeat NOT one I would even consider unless you are very mechanical, have lots of time and have $10k set aside for parts (any outside labor would be on top of that).

Next question is what series Foretravel chassis is this: ORED, 280?
Old 08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #8

As has already been said.
If you are not comfortable and able ( time, tools, place to work and at least some experience ) to work on brakes, mechanical, electrical, RV house issues IE: heat, generator, plumbing etc. then you should walk away.
A Foretravel is ( or at least in this case was ) a top quality RV. That being said, this one will easily eat at least $10,000 with you doing all of the work. You will be better off if you purchase the best condition RV that you can afford.
We own a 1987 Wanderlodge that was in very good condition when we bought it 2 years ago. It, like any RV, is a constant labor of love and would be extraordinarily expensive to maintain if I couldn't do the work myself.
I am thinking you need to think long and hard about an older RV that seems to have been neglected.
JMHO, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Oh ya, we do love our Wanderlodge and wouldn't be interested in a newer RV with their associated electronics, DEF and other poor build quality issues. But that is just us. Most would not opt for an older RV.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I would think the "new" 3208 motor alone is worth more than $5K. Do you know what tranny it has?

ANY 30 year old MH is going to need a lot more than just a good cleaning, but at that price you could perhaps at least break even if you parted it out.
Thanks for your input!!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
May make someone a fine coach.

NOT, repeat NOT one I would even consider unless you are very mechanical, have lots of time and have $10k set aside for parts (any outside labor would be on top of that).

Next question is what series Foretravel chassis is this: ORED, 280?
Thanks for your input!!
Old 08-03-2021, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
As has already been said.
If you are not comfortable and able ( time, tools, place to work and at least some experience ) to work on brakes, mechanical, electrical, RV house issues IE: heat, generator, plumbing etc. then you should walk away.
A Foretravel is ( or at least in this case was ) a top quality RV. That being said, this one will easily eat at least $10,000 with you doing all of the work. You will be better off if you purchase the best condition RV that you can afford.
We own a 1987 Wanderlodge that was in very good condition when we bought it 2 years ago. It, like any RV, is a constant labor of love and would be extraordinarily expensive to maintain if I couldn't do the work myself.
I am thinking you need to think long and hard about an older RV that seems to have been neglected.
JMHO, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Oh ya, we do love our Wanderlodge and wouldn't be interested in a newer RV with their associated electronics, DEF and other poor build quality issues. But that is just us. Most would not opt for an older RV.
Thanks for your input!!