Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #1

1993 Fleetwood Bounder stalling problems

Hi. New to this forum thing...lol. I have a 1993 Fleetwood Bounder with a 460. Over the last few years I've had the same issue. When I start to climb a hill in the summer the RV starts popping and losing power and then dies. I let it sit for 45 minutes or so and it starts and runs fine. The engine itself does not register as hot.
It runs all day when it's cool or under 80° or so but as soon as it gets hot out and going up a hill under power it does the shutting down thing. Ive done a tune up (plugs,wires and distributor cap) oil change, new batteries (house and engine)fuel filter and even removed the catalytic converter! The engine only has 28000 original miles. Everything on/in the RV works. I'm at a loss to why this is happening. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated.....
iamgtetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Fuel pump Maybe?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #3

Are you keeping the rpms up going up hill...my 93 pace arrow pop and sputter if I didn't keep rpm up...2nd gear 35 mph up steep grades

Possible timing issue. ..
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Fuel pump Maybe?
i had the same symptoms with our '91 bounder / 454 engine. iirc, it turned out to be a fuel pump (filter? -- shoot, it was in '94 that it happened) that was waaaay back on the gas tank.

bought one @ napa, replaced in parking lot.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Could be Ignition problems ,ignition coil or control module.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Popping under the air cleaner indicates lean fuel condition. Since it's affected by higher temps I'm going with fuel vaporization, short of full vapor lock. Fuel pump also possible. Fuel lines that used to be insulated and have lost same. Going up hills increases load, also changes angle of all components. Fuel pickup maybe. Pump in tank maybe. Tank vent maybe. Take the gas cap off see if it behaves differently. Fuel pressure gauge plumbed where it could be read under way could be informative.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Could be Ignition problems ,ignition coil or control module.
I had same problem years ago with old ford car turned out to be coil ! stopped one day old man stopped said pour some water on it I did started right up put on new coil never did it again ... well that's my story ..
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Number one suspect is failing fuel pump. If you can borrow or rent a fuel injection pressure test gage, you can see what the pressure is under load and temp conditions. About 30 psi at idle and close to 40 when your foot is to the floor pulling a hill.
Number 2 suspect is the ICM (ignition control module) but it is affected mostly by heat more than load but a heavy load creates more heat, so. . .
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum.
We're sorry that it took a problem to get you to join, but we hope that you will stay engaged after you get a resolution.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Check your air filter. Fleetwood puts a foam piece in front of the filter for dust. It will decinegrate and clog the filter at high rpms. Been there five that.
Philco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, ems, fleetwood, problems