Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2021, 06:44 AM   #1

1994 Damon intruder???

Just join the forum, so I hope this forum is the right place for this thread...
First of all best wishes to all for this new year!

I am as newbie as it gets when it come to rving. In fact I am looking for my first RV. I am looking for a class A around 30'.
Yesterday I saw a Damon Intruder 34" advertised well within my price range. So I call for further information.
The good: Brand new tires, all brakes have been rebuilt in a professional shop including the lines, engine has been tuned up including replacing the plugs, wires and distributor cap. The fellow selling it just came back from Texas, stop for a while in Ontario and now is in Nova Scotia. According to the owner, all systems work. He is the 2nd owner and has travel across the US for the past 3 years. The house is water tight and the original owner experienced only 1 minor leaks around one of the AC housing which was fixed immediately. there is a solar system on board with 4 large batteries, a 3000w inverter and a 300W panel in addition to the engine batterie and 2 6V house batteries.
Engine is a Ford 460 with 108K kms. The RV has a valid safety inspection.
The bad: The Onan generator may have been removed because it was not working (it may still be in the RV) and replaced by a Champion home style generator. The levelers are not working and the owner did not bother looking into it...

The 1994 Intruder came on 2 chassis: the Ford or the Workhorse I believe. How do I know which one is on that unit?
Is there anything in particular I should be lookin for? I will print a check list from some of the site on line. The RV is fully winterized so I will not be able to check all systems. I am very handy and mechanically able so I can do a lot if anything needs attention. The price tag will leave me some $ room to fix thing if needs be.
Looking forward to your comments... Sorry for the long message...
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If it has a ford engine, then it is the ford chassis. Home style generators are 'usually' much louder than an RV generator. Hire a independent certified RV inspector to look at the rig. Unfortunately, it will have to be de-winterized to properly check out all the systems, but even so, the inspector can check out the rest of the rig and put your mind at ease.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #3

It sounds like the guy is being pretty straight forward with you. If he has been using it I think all systems are working like he says. I would go look at it and if it is in good condition without a lot of blemishes it would indicate it has been well taken care of. If you are really skeptical you could pay out the money for a professional inspection if you can find one but it could be expensive.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #4

Well I went and looked at the coach.
The fellow was indeed very honest and straightforward about it. He had about $7K CA of repair done to it and all the receipts for it. So mechanically very sound. The house itself was may be in fair shape. Definitely looked its age but all systems worked and no leaks.
My wife however did not like it. Not clean enough... so we pass!
Will be a nice coach for the right person.
Going to look at a 1998 GB Cruise Air but I will post on a new thread.
Thanks for the replies.
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon