Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE

Hello,

My husband and I are just starting to look into Class A motorhomes and we came across a 1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE with 56,000 miles. Not sure if there is anything specific to look out for with this vehicle. Inside is actually really nice considering the age. typical decor for the 1994 era. We did not see any water staining evidence on the ceiling, walls or inside any of the cupboards or drawers. We were told the tires are new and appears as if the rv has not been driven for apprx. 5 years based on plate tag. However, we noticed that the rivets were popping out of trim above the storage units around both sides of the rv as well as some pitting/erosion of the passenger side door panel...what concerns/worries opinions advise do you rv folk have to offer. Asking price is currently $9500 which I feel is high....Thanks for the info and I anxiously await any and all advise.
Dawnie
dawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

dawnie....there is a really good buyers check list found in the FILES tab at the top of this page (on this web site) If you use that check list and bring a ladder to hop up on the roof you will gain decent insite as to how the rig really sits. NOW a rig sitting for 5 years needs some attn. If the tires were bought 5 years ago and never driven....they may need replacing. I like to buy older used rigs and restore them...I go over every feature in every rig I look at. One short like I have in my electric steps....can take a long time or a ton of money to repair. Go over the machine as if you were detailing it...BATTERIES... TIRES manufature dates....pull the oil and tranny dip sticks....pull the dog house cover.... look at things like the matress (you will be sleeping there) .....does toilet flush....hot water heat....dewinterize the rig if it is winterized....AC units....fans... furnace....pump.....everything.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #3

I previously owned a 95 of this same model. The popping out of the rivets about the compartment doors are common and can be easily replaced. The corrosion you see would worry me more, that's generally caused by electrolysis and can indicate deeper issues.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #4

Please understand there's a HUGE difference regarding NEW, or low miles? The NEW you're after is in regards to the purchase date?

Agree with above on the rivets.

Question regarding the "pitting/erosion of the passenger side door panel"? Are you talking about a storage door, or the entrance door?

I had a '93 HR Aluma Lite where a couple of the storage doors had pitted along the upper edges. I'd never seen anything like it? The doors are made of some type of fiber reinforced plastic. Very nicely done, but there was apparently something wrong with the composition of the plastic - resulting in the pitting of some of the doors on the coach I had. Looked terrible, and that repair led to the repainting of the lower half of the coach because the paint was impossible to match (high metalic content). Turned out really nice, but it was a pretty big project.

Liked the coach, but sold it to get one with a slider - and a diesel.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
Hello,

My husband and I are just starting to look into Class A motorhomes and we came across a 1994 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE with 56,000 miles. Not sure if there is anything specific to look out for with this vehicle. Inside is actually really nice considering the age. typical decor for the 1994 era. We did not see any water staining evidence on the ceiling, walls or inside any of the cupboards or drawers. We were told the tires are new and appears as if the rv has not been driven for apprx. 5 years based on plate tag. However, we noticed that the rivets were popping out of trim above the storage units around both sides of the rv as well as some pitting/erosion of the passenger side door panel...what concerns/worries opinions advise do you rv folk have to offer. Asking price is currently $9500 which I feel is high....Thanks for the info and I anxiously await any and all advise.
Dawnie
we purchased a 1 owner Fleetwood of that vintage and paid over 12K. it was loaded with extras, so look underneath and see what they added. we have a Banks system and beefed up suspension. if the tires and batteries are good and she starts up right away, you probably have a good deal. the rust can occur on rigs from states that are on the coast or salt roads during winter.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6

Dawnie
You dont mention what length the Endeavor is the 36 had a Tag Axel and the 34 did not so wheir would be issues to look at with the MorRide suspension on the tag. Enderavor also had an electrical issue at the back corner of the drivers side with a 120 volt cable being cut from vibration. Check to see if that was corrected. Also 3M replaced all of the decals on the endeavor because they were "rusting" as the metalic was not properly coated befor incerted in the decals.Is this on a Ford Chassis of chevy ? they both had issues of various degrees.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Dawnie
Enderavor also had an electrical issue at the back corner of the drivers side with a 120 volt cable being cut from vibration. Check to see if that was corrected. Also 3M replaced all of the decals on the endeavor because they were "rusting" as the metalic was not properly coated befor incerted in the decals.Is this on a Ford Chassis of chevy ? they both had issues of various degrees.
We are looking at a '94 HR Endeavor LE 34ft one owner that has been very well taken care of, but has the electrolysis issue. Could you give me more information on this issue and I'd really appreciate information on any other issue you know this model may have. As for the decals...I wonder if HR would honor a recall on those at this late of a date....

Thanks in advance!
88Ramblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I previously owned a 95 of this same model. The popping out of the rivets about the compartment doors are common and can be easily replaced. The corrosion you see would worry me more, that's generally caused by electrolysis and can indicate deeper issues.
I considered purchasing a Holiday Rambler of this vintage, and it had the corrosion in the side walls, with some holes evident. I had an estimate from a reputable rv dealer that had repaired many of these, and the estimate was about $7000 per side.

My guess is that you could patch over the corrosion with auto body filler and repaint but I'd expect it to return and bubble up under the body filler.

Fred

Tags
holiday rambler