Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #1

1994 Holiday Rambler Ford F53 external fuel pump

I have seen some forums about external fuel pumps,instead of the factory "in tank fuel pump" but could not find a definitive answer.I might have to change the fuel pump in my 1995 f53 holiday rambler 1994 chassis.
My fuel gauge moved to empty after filling up the tank with gas,but started up fine,the engine started surging at cold start up a couple of days later,it made a strange sound from the engine .It does not seem to surge at startup above 35 degrees outside temperature.
The motorhome had been sitting for 4 years, the previous owner said he started it once in a while.The tank whas about a quarter full when i drove it home.

I am new to this site but have found some very usefull information,thanks to all of you for that.
marcsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your search.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi marcsrv and Welcome to the Forum!

The original fuel pumps in the 1990's F53 chassis were notorious for giving out. Ford changed the design in the late '90's so all the newer replacement pumps are pretty reliable. If your pump is the original then replace it. If you are unsure (sounds like you just bought this MH) replacing might be good insurance. Only buy a Motorcraft replacement and adaptor wiring harness. The new pump assembly has the fuel level sending unit on it too. Rockauto.com has the best price. Don't forget to put in a new fuel filter as well.

Putting an in-line pump is a band-aid in my opinion but some do it to have as a backup system.

FYI, there is a Ford Chassis discussion forum here and would be a better place to ask chassis questions in the future.

Best of luck and enjoy the "new" coach!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

The motorhome has 44000 miles on it,still good to change it?.Is the surging at startup the first signes of a fuel pump going out?.Is the Airtex fuel pump reliable to use?(lot's of questions).Does not look like they come with a float,but i could be wrong.Wonder who makes the fuel pump for ford.

Thanks for the reply Nick,and i will move these questions to the chassis discussions next time.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if your "surging" is actually the motor loading up with too much fuel. Mine does that a bit and have to press on the gas pedal to get the revs up for maybe 20-30 seconds then it will idle fine. Mine used to really bad that way until I replaced the Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensor. It was all gummed up and giving faulty cold temp readings which tells the computer, "more fuel!". Here is a pic I stole from fellow forum member SUBFORD. It is a topside view with the intake tubes removed and shows the IAT location .

Airtex fuel pumps are NOT recommended by anyone who has tried them. Your problems may or may not be pump related so maybe focus on other issues for now. I know mine got better/smoother over time just by driving it. Old fuel and sticky injectors can cause surging and other performance problems.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

You are giving me some helpfull information Nick.It is helpfull you have the same chassis as mine.Thanks.
Might as well replace that part then,instead of being stuck somewhere.
I already changed the smog pump(before the surge problem),it was making noise.I found the problem by touching the pump with a tube placing the other end to my ear(have to be carefull of course not to touch moving parts).
I will update once i replaced the part.Am not retired(working for a living),so it might take a couple of weeks.
Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

cold surging can also be caused by a sticky IAC (idle air control). See the above pic. Usually you can just remove it and clean it out with some brake cleaner and be good. If you do have a fuel pump issue, it would be best to change out the in tank pump. There is a filter sock that generally gets clogged up from tank debris. The tank will need to be cleaned and or internally resealed with a new pump to correct this condition. I currently have a 95 waiting for authorization for an internal tank cleaning/sealing. This customer just put in a new pump and did not clean the tank.

jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Thanks James,
I guess i got work to do.

Tags
ford, f53, holiday rambler, fuel