Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 02:20 PM   #1

Angry 1994 Swinger 3190 Chassis Manual

Hi Gang I was just wondering which is the best manual for my RV. My backup lights don't work and the 3rd brake light doesn't work either. Help !!!!!!!!!!!
Clock Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

There's this...but like all RV users manuals the electrical is pretty poor. Swingers Owners Guide

If you haven't removed the lamp fixtures yet, know that on my '94 Bounder, one of mine was in such bad shape (found after I pulled it off and opened it), tossed it because of all the rust and corrosion and bought new...which I happened to find at a little boat repair shop that carried some RV stuff just a few miles from where I was staying. Hah! Pays to stop in at those places. I was really lucky. They've since closed and I've moved on to ownership of a '02 Journey.

With the Journey, had an intermittent taillight/brake light that would occasionally go out and I'd have people pointing it out to me at RV parks as I drove in or out. In that case, I could not find a conveniently available fixture at a decent price and since I have an electronics background, I sort of did a DIY number on all of them as all the sockets for bulbs were in bad condition. Lots of rust and corrosion. Even had to break a blub apart to get it out of the socket:

https://i0.wp.com/chaos.goblinbox.co...?fit=640%2C480

That's all I found wrong btw...bad bulb sockets...so I bought new sockets and kept the fixtures so I could reuse them. There are new ones available but seems a darn waste to throw away the entire assembly when it can be repaired.

Here's the ad free article I wrote about the job. I had a great time working on it...this kind of DIY repair is fun to me. Rear Running Light sockets replaced!

I also cleaned up and soldered in new LEDs for the middle stop light assembly. A bit more complex, but still fun.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

Thanks Jim for the info and nice article as well.
Clock Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
There's this...but like all RV users manuals the electrical is pretty poor. Swingers Owners Guide
That looks to be the same owner's manual that I had with my 1998 Cruise Master. Looking back, I think that was the best owner's manual for an RV that I got with any of the 6 RVs that we have owned. Most of them are pretty much useless.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
That looks to be the same owner's manual that I had with my 1998 Cruise Master. Looking back, I think that was the best owner's manual for an RV that I got with any of the 6 RVs that we have owned. Most of them are pretty much useless.
I had very little info about the Bounder from Fleetwood but one time I called Freightliner and was able to get a PDF of their electrical for my chassis. That was handy. Hard to read without a magnifier though. Single sheet. For the rest of the RV though, there wasn't anything I could find easily.

With Winnebago and a Freightliner chassis, there is a wealth of info online in PDF form that I downloaded so I'd have it available offline. It's come in handy for sure.

So it's kind of hit and miss...depends on the manufacturer's engineering department whether they want to bother to release their drawings and what form.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #6

My rear lights had issues the problem was spades on the relays these are screwed to firewall in rear motor bay. They are not exactly protected from the elements. Cleaning relay males mostly fixed the issues. I just had regular electronics cleaner but hear great about Detoxit cleaner.
Many times there are butt connectors before lamp sockets and two wires in one side making a daisy chain loose one connection breaks the chain. I had to fix a few of those the tail side marker circuit is big lots of places for bad connections.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, manual