Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

1995 Bounder 34P fuel pump help

I just inherited a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder 34P I believe. Has the Ford 460 in it I believe as well. Ofcourse I can’t find a maintenance manual or anything definitive to help understand more. The RV won’t start, however it will turn over. It’s been sitting for several years, so my first thought is to remove the gas and replace with fresh gas. Oil change, spark plugs, filters next. After that I’m lost as to what to do. I know it could be a fuel pump and I’ve read online that it can be a chore to replace those. What should be my first steps to at least get it running?
NewbieOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 03:16 PM   #2

See if you can get it to run on starting fluid.. that will rule out.. if electrical or fuel.. do that 1st.. use all safety precautions.. and report back..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #3

Follow the fuel hose back to the tank, than replace that hose with a new one and put an external fuel pump that race car teams use and draw from a 5 gallon jug of gas. That would be one of the tests you can use.

Then if that works and it runs without problems, you can lower the RV tank just a couple inches and verify that the fuel suction and return hoses are in good condition because a lot of them develop small leaks that cause all sorts of problems, mostly due to drawing air.

We're not done yet...

If the hoses are fine or you replace them, and there's still a problem, than just permanently attach the external fuel pump and forget replacing the internal pump. You can suck fuel through a bad pump nearly 100% of the time.

If your first test still gives problems, than look for an air leak between the external fuel pump and the fuel rail on the engine. Pretty sure your engine will be injected so the injectors need to be checked too.

And of course first of all, you've already listed the regular stuff to work at, replacing the filters, oil, plugs so that's good. Also check out this

Oh, forgot to mention...I owned a '94 Bounder with a diesel engine for 12 years so I fixed a lot of stuff on it. And I wrote articles about it on my ad free blog...check it out:RV Repair '94 Bounder

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #4

A number of us here have older F53's and have had fuel pump issues. Here's a thread I started that a number of others were kind enough to also contribute to.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/rela...es-508562.html

There are some more good threads with even more info scattered in this section but a little harder to find.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:16 AM   #5

Check your fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If you don't have pressure check for voltage to the fuel pump. If you have voltage, then it's likely the pump.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When the ignition key is turned on, the fuel pump energizes for a second or two to send fuel up to the engine. Have someone turn the key to on while you listen closely at the tank to hear the pump run. No sound = electrical problem to pump and/or dead pump.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
Check your fuel pressure on the fuel rail. If you don't have pressure check for voltage to the fuel pump. If you have voltage, then it's likely the pump.
Where is the fuel rail located. I’m sure your not talking about the fuel gage, but like the name says I’m a newbie at best.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #8

Fuel rail , runs around the intake manifold to distribute fuel to each injector and has a Schrader valve on it to attach a shop pressure gauge .

Note that if the gas has been in the tank , sitting for years , it might not be volatile enough to run the engine , so if you do have pressure to the fuel rail , replacing the gas in the tank is next .
Old 07-01-2022, 12:21 PM   #9

If you consider the picture a clock, the fuel rail valve is right about 11 O'clock. It's a little black cap that looks exactly like one you have on your car's tire valves. Unfortunately you can't quite use a tire pressure checker on it. But if you don't want to buy a fuel pressure gauge most chain parts stores have them in their loaner program. Pay a deposit to borrow one and when you return it you get your money back. So, free. To use one, unscrew the little black cap (unless someone already removed and lost it) and screw the tester's fitting onto the threads. Easy. Before doing too much make sure the connector is on good so you don't have some fuel leaking on your engine while you are busy looking at the gauge. (Been there, done that.)
Old 07-02-2022, 05:01 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieOwner View Post
I just inherited a 1995 Fleetwood Bounder 34P I believe. Has the Ford 460 in it I believe as well. Ofcourse I can’t find a maintenance manual or anything definitive to help understand more. The RV won’t start, however it will turn over. It’s been sitting for several years, so my first thought is to remove the gas and replace with fresh gas. Oil change, spark plugs, filters next. After that I’m lost as to what to do. I know it could be a fuel pump and I’ve read online that it can be a chore to replace those. What should be my first steps to at least get it running?
Attached is a 60 page owners manual for the '95 Bounder and 224 page '95 F53 owners manual in pdf format. I think I have a few other Bounder documents, including a shop manual for the '95 F53, from when I had a '95 34J. If I can find more, I'll post them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1995 BOUNDER Owners Manual.pdf (2.11 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf 1995 F53 Owners Manual.pdf (1.25 MB, 27 views)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
See if you can get it to run on starting fluid.. that will rule out.. if electrical or fuel.. do that 1st.. use all safety precautions.. and report back..
Good luck and keep us posted
It will start on starter fluid. However it won’t stay running. I’ve had my assumptions it was a fuel problem. I have checked fuel pressure at the rails yet. But I did change the fuel filter. I also crawled under the tank and could here the fuel pump when the key was turned. I know I need fresh Gas because it’s atleast 5yr old. But 3/4 of a tank is a lot to drain out…
Old 06-17-2023, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Just replaced the fuel pump and got it started up. Dropping the tank was tough but I got it done!
Old 06-17-2023, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Just replaced the fuel pump and got it started up. Dropping the tank was tough but I got it done!

Wow, you work fast. I didn't have time to suggest buying an EXTERNAL fuel pump. Negates the need to drop the tank. Oh, wait, I did suggest that earlier. Never mind, guess you decided against it. Sure would have saved a lot of effort and money though.

My mistake, I thought this was a recent posting...should have scrolled back and checked the dates.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 10:10 AM   #14

I tried an external pump on mine at one point. Waste of time as the internal tank filters were clogging and the tank had to come down anyway. I thought it worth a shot.

Tags
bounder, fuel, fuel pump, pump