Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
1995 REXHALL AERBUS speedo

Hi all, when my 1995 Aerbus speedo quit and transmission shifting became very erratic, research suggested the sensor to be on the park brake assembly attached to the rear of the tranny. My park brake shoes were worn-out also, so I decided to R&R the unit. FORD claims the unit is not serviceable, and will provide a new unit for $1800. OUCH! So I figured out how to disassemble it, found a new internal speedo gear, shoes, bearings, and seals for less then $300. Tricky to reassemble, but I got it. The little gear (also worn-out ) on the sender that sticks into the hole, has to be the correct one to match your diffy gear set, and are provided marked and color coded. Mine is black. The wrong one will cause your speedo to lie.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
1995 Aerbus speedo erratic

Hi all, months after having accomplished the previous post, I encountered my speedo intermittantly jumping around, accompanyed with poor shifting. I did a ton of research on this and narrowed it down to the module on the back of the speedo. In the mean time I encountered a problem with my ROADMASTER dinghy brake system. It has the old style using an air compressor on the RV. The compressor was staying on all the time or not turning on at all. Trouble shooting found the pressure switch had no voltage coming out of it. The relay turns on the compressor using the signal from the pressure switch. This signal was at the switch intermittantly, so I traced it down to coming from the ignition on. Turns out the pressure switch was shorting to earth. This in turn was shorting the Powertrain Control Module to earth, and was causing the erratic speedo and transmission shifting, not the speedo module. It's working normal now. Also replacing the compressor for being worn-out as it has a hard time getting to the 135 PSI shutoff point. Installing a 200 PSI unit that won't have to work so hard.
Hangfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aerbus, rexhall