Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #1

1995 Tiffin

I have a 1995 Tiffin allegro bus and am having some issues. When I turn the key to start sometimes it would start and sometimes it would not. Taken it to two different shops to look at it. They said they couldn’t get it to not do right. This morning I’m trying to take it to the shop and I turn the key on and wait for the wait to start engine light to go off and when it goes off I get nothing. I got the 3 or four lights on dash but nothing on the transmission selector. So I try and try and still nothing. So I turned the key and it started it before the wait to start light went off and it cranked. But I have the Do Not Shift light on on the dash. My Allison transmission selector has not shown any life at all this morning. It won’t shift . I’ve cut it off and tried to crank by waiting until the wait to start light goes off and I get nothing. I turn it and crank without waiting for the light to go off and it cranks.... I’m horrible mechanic....I did undo positive battlers cable but nothing changed. Any advice would be appreciated!
Bellbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have a 12 v full off switch somewhere (aka “salesman’s switch”)? On newer units, cycling that can reset things. Don’t know if it will work on yours, but you could try it.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 09:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If your transmission ecu has no power it will not allow you to start.

Might want to make sure you have power to the ecu for the transmission
Old 01-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I have a 1995 Cummins 300hp engine, but the electric stuff was done by Country Coach.

The rig has a Chassis 12v Fuse Box in the front driver side compartment. Yours may be elsewhere.

Attached near the fuse panel there may be an ignition solenoid with four wires.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...ufacturer=true

A wire from one of the small terminals is the ground wire.

Clip a loose 16 gauge cheater wire to that terminal or wire and connect it to a good ground point. Then turn the ignition switch to on. Perhaps the Shifter will light up and the rig engine will crank.

Hopefully yours is similar and the fix is that simple.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think you found the problem. If the engine cannot verify the transmission is in neutral, it won't even attempt to start. And if the shifter pad/handle is dead, there will be no "Neutral" status to signal. So now the question is why is it dead? Bad TCU, faulty relay, or simply a loose wire somewhere? I had a similar no-start that ended up being a poor wire connection on one of the Allison relays adjacent to the TCU.Not obviously bad, but just the right (wrong?) wiggle caused a no-start.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #6

Many have found issue with 10 GA wire or corroded loop on positive chassis battery within a foot or so of the loop is an inline fuse holder it can get bad/loose as well.
Ignition switches have been prone to issues.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin