Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

1996-1999, Gas, Holiday Ramblers

Narrowing the search somewhat--1996-1999 Holiday Rambler, Gas, 32-34 feet. Haven't been able to find one within a 100 miles to look at but they seem to be well constructed from searchs done on a couple of forums. Any specific comments regarding construction, problems, things to look for, etc. would be appreciated. Dometic refrigs. are one thing I have become aware of. Some v-10s had spark plug issues, but other than those two items I am uninformed regarding subject MHs.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we in February 2012, purchased a 2000 holiday rambler Admiral...29.8'... it only had 18000 miles on. While the tires looked okay, we replaced them other than that we have been redoing the tape on the roof with Eternabond and Dicor...it never leaked but it was just a general maintenance thing ...while we were up there we changed the shower skylight and the air conditioner cover...our back up camera had water in it so we never used the monitor...we are really pleased with the unit!
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #3

I had a 1995 Endeavor. Great motorhome and very well constructed. Nothing to note that I can tell you to be aware of. You mention Dometic fridges like that's a concern. It's the Norcold's you need to be aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Narrowing the search somewhat--1996-1999 Holiday Rambler, Gas, 32-34 feet. Haven't been able to find one within a 100 miles to look at but they seem to be well constructed from searchs done on a couple of forums. Any specific comments regarding construction, problems, things to look for, etc. would be appreciated. Dometic refrigs. are one thing I have become aware of. Some v-10s had spark plug issues, but other than those two items I am uninformed regarding subject MHs.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
HR

I bought a 1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer ES 4 months ago. It has a fuel injected 460 on a Ford f-53 chassis--34 ft. The craftmanship I think is great. It is paid for --so spending money on maintainence and upgrades are not something I have to worry about--in a strange kind of way , I enjoy it--has an Onan 7000 generator, which after getting it worked on, run great-pulls both AC"s and more. I personally like it being simple, and a gasser--easy to work on --we dont have slide outs--it is just right for DW, me and the dog. I love mine--congrats on yours and enjoy. Also having the speed control recall fixed tomorrow--I dont know for sure about the Dometic fridge recall--I read that it was for 1997 and up--but the serial # and model# seem to suggest it needs to have the repair(looking into it) the previous owner travelled a lot and told us it never let her down--so far I believe her-great, dependable MH.--Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 1996, 97 and most 98 Ford chassis will be with the 460 V8 engine. 1999 and up is with the V10 engine and the newer, improved chassis.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

Good information. I wondered where the chassis changed over. Both Dometic and Norcold had recalls, but your are right Norcold is the fire one. I had forgotten that.
Many of you pull a "toad". Guess the transmissions hold up ok towing the extra load?? Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #7

Endeavor

I moved up from a class C to a 2000 HR Endeavor..I am one year newer than what you are asking about. F53 Chassis...V10...I am at 36 ft...

Paid $26,500 for an almost perfect one owner unit. Tires are only 4 years old with low miles..

Had some cosmetic scratches repaired on the paint..just installed a new flat screen up from. Carpet faded some so I am changing it in the spring.

Not sure where you are at but looked at 5 of the same on the east coast area. Bought mine from a dealer who took it in trade at the Hershey show..

Need any help let me know..

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	32803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	32804  

Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
'97 was the last year for the old 460 (7.5), there were no '98 F53 chassis built so a '98 motor home will be on a '97 chassis. The '99 was the first year of the V10 and Ford did have problems with the spark plugs in that engine and there are a few "fixes" to correct it.
We have an older ('92) HR built on a '91 chassis and the build quality of the coach is very good, aluminium framing and no wood to rot is a big plus. I did replace the old RV fridge with a residential one a few years ago, also added a 1000 W PSW inverter and two batteries dedicated to run the fridge.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #9

Found some remarks on the 16 inch tires and the f-53 chassis. Not favorable, but is there enough of a disadvantage to the chassis and the 16 inch tires to rule out the HR with that chassis. Most of them in the 1996, (not 1006) to 1999 year range I expected to be on the chevy chassis, like other MH, but did HR use the ford most of the time in these years?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Fighter...think about the 2000 on 19.5 tires with the V10...good units..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #11

Is the chassis on the 1999 and later still called F-53s but improved? Is the presents of a V-10 engine mean an improved F-53 as well? Or are they independent of each other. Do I have to get a 2000 year model to get the improved chassis? Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

I've had my 97 Bounder for almost 1 year and quite enjoying it. It's got the 460 which is a pretty strong reliable engine although limited top end. My rig is 36' and pretty heavy and with a tag axle and slide so probably pushing the upper limits of its capabilities.

Have the 16" tires which seem to do the job nicely. Coach sits a little lower and the price to replace is much more favorable than the bigger ones. Speaking of which highly recommend you pay very close attention to them with purchase. Go by the date code and not how they look or how much tread is left. After a couple flats I changed all 8 out ( also easier to carry a spare which I would highly reend ). If there is no date code ( a lot of the Chinese cheaply ones don't have one ) assume they need replacing soon.

My rig was quite "we'll used" with 50000 miles but no major damage. Fridge already replaced. Not afraid to do my own modifications and loosing value. And can let my kids run wild without to much worries of scratches or stains.

Really enjoy using it and love the floor plan. Haven't even seen a newer one that would temp me. Most of the maintenance is basic but finding there is a lot to keep these little bit older rigs in top form.

Good luck on finding yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3942576990.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	32847   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3467755515.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	576.8 KB
ID:	32848  

Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Fighter-HR endeavor

Fighter
We recently purchased a 2000 36' Endeavor with the V10 (6.8L) powerplant. One owner unit. Spouse had actually kept manual detailing costs/repairs/how-to-use issues from date of purchase to when we bought it (including everything from putting air in the tires to replacing shocks!!!). With fifteen years of RV experience behind me, all I can say is that this is a VERY well crafted unit. Unfortunately we have the model prior to fords having upgraded to a 310HP. We put a Banks ram-air syatem on it, bought an SCT tuner from 5Star and are quite satisfied with the performance.
For nwhat its worth, I wouoldn't hesitate to make the same deal again!
joeb1943.910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #14

We are enjoying our 2000 Holiday Rblr Ambassador (34'). We've been across the USA 3 times in the 2 years we've had it, plus a trip to both sides of Fla and to a handful of Atlantic/Chesapeake spots. We figured its medium size, combined with its diesel would let us glide over any hills, and it does. Its performance is better than our past experience with gas. Yeah, it cost more, but we've come to understand its well worth it. Mileage 12-14 mpg. Just another opinion...
DelawareBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas