Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #1

1996 Monaco Signature Series EXHAUST REPAIR,,, HELP

I have a 1996 Monaco Signature Series with a Cummins M11 450eplus and its time to change up the original exhaust system. I was told by a diesel shop to put an exact match exhaust system back on. While I was removing the exhaust system to take it in to have them build an exact match I fired the engine with only the down pipe from the turbo connected. It didn't sound too bad. This gave me an idea of running open straight pipe exhaust.

My question is : Has anyone ever tried this and what were the results??

Where you heading to the nearest truck center to get a muffler back on there??

Joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

A bunch of Foretravel owners have put an aero resonator on instead of our old muffler. That muffler was discontinued and a replacement would requir some fabrication. So one guy tried a resonator and now most of the older units are switching over. Louder yes if you are outside at throttle, but we are inside and I do not notice it. What I do notice though is more turbo boost, faster spool up and one mpg better milage. Oh and about 50-70 HP more. This is on the Silverleaf and cummins dyno. Cummins did the work too, so they blessed it. Lot cooler on the heavy pulls too. You will love it.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #3

Well there you go. My dad is a past trucker and he is the one that told me to try it. I guess I am just accustomed to gas engine and the ugly noise they make unmuffled. The MPG and HP gain is well worth it. The engine seems a little lazy to me any how so it cant hurt my feelings. I will do the work this weekend and take it for a test drive. Will keep you posted!!

Thanks for the reply.

Joe
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Post a pic too if you don't mind
Old 08-10-2012, 07:02 AM   #5

The turbo is the reason you don't go running for cover when you fire it up (as compared to a gaser). It breaks up those big pulses that would otherwise be ear splitting.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #6

You will need to fabricate hangers and try to eliminate as many bends as you can. I will post a picture when I get back from this trip. Still have 4000 miles to go.

24' Bornfree
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #7

I just bought an Aero Turbine 4040XL and it arrived yesterday. This will go on my Cummins 300HP. It's a nice piece. I'm still awaiting various bits from another order before I do the install.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #8

You will like it. Will not get quite as much improvement as the ISM does but you will see it and feel it.

24' Bornfree
Old 08-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

That turbo does explain why I thought this was not doable. I know from my racing days that bends in headers and or exhaust does rob a lot of ponies. Makes sense.

I found a nice piece of tubing for a mock up design. I will keep you all posted.

joe
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #10

I have only a few places with flex and the bulk of it is tig welded so I could avoid some clamps too.

24' Bornfree

Tags
monaco, repair