Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

1996 Rexhall Aerbus 33' bathroom leak

Hello everyone. I got my first RV and took off camping. I discovered a serious leak in the middle of the bathroom floor about 2" in front of the toilet. The leak reached through the back wall into the bedroom. Checked all accessible areas (shower and sink drains) but it’s all dry!
Only thing left is to remove the toilet or rip the floor carpet to see what’s under. Does anybody have an idea what could it be? What’s in the middle of the bathroom floor… One of the tanks inlets maybe? The water seams clean.
Olivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig! Sorry you're having trouble but it's all part of RVing. I'm sure some of our experts will be along shortly to help out with your particular problem.

Best of luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

I had the same problem and it turned out to be two problems. One was the plumbing to the water heater. I didn’t know better and hooked up a hose without a regulator and believe started a leak with the pex connections because of high pressure and the water heater’s heat. The other was an o ring on the toilet valve stem. I hope this helps.
Lostuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

Not sure about the water heater... It's quite far from the bathroom. As for the o-ring, I don't have a clue. Do I have to rip the carpet and remove the toilet? Is there any sealing that needs to be done when mounting it back? Or some gaskets? Also, what's under the carpet? Plywood? If it is I might have to replace that too.
I don't like the idea of having carpet in the bathroom anyway. The interesting thing about this leak is in the middle of the bathroom. Around the toilet for about 2" is dry!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

I've got a thetford galaxy and only put some silicone grease on the seal (what would normally be the wax ring for a home toilet). Before pulling the toilet use a mirror and flashlight to find the valve in the rear if so equipped. Use your hand to find a leak. If your hand comes out dry you might have a problem somewhere else. It, of course, could still be the toilet or maybe a waterline somewhere. It wore me down finding those leaks because this is my first motorhome and I'd only had it 2 weeks. I developed a wet spot the first day I connected to city water (without regulator). I didn't have to cut any carpeting though. My thetford has a screw in the front and one in the back. A 1/4" deep well socket worked perfect for me.

Good luck!
Lostuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

My last coach was a 95 Arebus and a fine coach it was, put 94,000 miles on it. I think you'll find it's coming from the toilet water valve. You have to remove the toilet to get to the valve. There are a couple of plugs , they look like circles , that pop out and there's bolts in there. I was able to take the valve just far enough apart to replace the o ring and that fixed it. Cost was just my labor, as I already had an o ring asortment on hand
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Is the spot in front of the toilet an isolated spot, meaning it's dry between the wet spot and the toilet, or is it wet from the spot all the way to the base of the toilet. If it's wet from the base out, it's probably the toilet seal to the plumbing beneath. A lot of motorhomes use a wax seal similar to those used in a house. Since they're exposed to a lot more temperature extremes than a house they can dry out, and loose their seal.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:21 AM   #8

Thank you all for assistance and advice. I ended up removing the toilet and the carpet. The leak must have been there for some time, since the plywood around the toilet was black. I washed it with bleach and got pretty clean. I purchased a new AquaMagic V hand flush and now I'll will install vinyl and my new toilet. I hoped is a less serious leak, but it turns out I was wrong. At the end of the day, I will have a new leak free toilet and vinyl in the bathroom. Again thank you for everything.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Thanks for the follow up , those of us that follow these threads enjoy hearing about the out come of the said problem.

Tags
leak