Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #1

1996 Winnebago Vectra grand tour “TAG AXLE BRAKE SERIOUS ISSUE”

Hi everyone

Newbie here and I have a 1996 Winnebago vectra grand tour with a tag axle (36WA/ford 460 chassis) and we are currently in Denver, Colorado. We drove here from California and last night I lost my tag axle brake (left one). The pedal controller shows “SC) and the brake doesn’t work. Is there anyway to reset the light to temporarily use the brake?
I appreciate any input.
Evugrandtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you saying you have no brakes at all, or that the pedal doesn't operate the tag axle brakes but the other axles are ok. Can you drive th coach with the tag axle brakes inoperative? The only effect should be somewhat longer stopping distances, which should be manageable with some driving care.

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but I owned a '96 ford chassis with tag axle and there was no "pedal controller" or separate display for tag brakes (mine was a '96 Fleetwood Southwind on a Ford 460 chassis).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Are you saying you have no brakes at all, or that the pedal doesn't operate the tag axle brakes but the other axles are ok. Can you drive th coach with the tag axle brakes inoperative? The only effect should be somewhat longer stopping distances, which should be manageable with some driving care.

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but I owned a '96 ford chassis with tag axle and there was no "pedal controller" or separate display for tag brakes (mine was a '96 Fleetwood Southwind on a Ford 460 chassis).
Hi.
So I have a device under the dash on my left foot that I can adjust the number ( to adjust sensitivity I think) and a red button to step on to activate the tag axle brake. My other brakes work just fine but I just want to get it fixed because my RV is 26000lbs and having the axle brake helps a lot when I have to stop suddenly (like when some dummy cut in front and brake thinking I can just handle the gap like normal car).
Old 10-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So you have to manually brake the tag axle? Seems strange! In any case, I can't help with that problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a long shot here but if you bought this coach used it may have been retrofitted with a separate brake system for the tag. I'm basing this on my experience with a 1999 National that had a tag axle. We had lost brakes on a trip and found out that a steel brake line on the tag had rusted and leaked. Since the tag was old there were no replacement parts available. My solution was to separate the tag hydraulics from the coach and to add an electric hydraulic pump with a brake controller(like on a trailer) in the coach. The controller had a sensitivity adjustment with lights.

Look to see if you have a separate system for the tag.

Sorry for the long story......
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a previous owner upgraded the hydraulic tag brakes to electric. I believe Dexter offers a electric brake conversion for the tags. Attached is a simple drawing of what the original tag axle brake system would have looked like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tag Axle Drawing.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	304373  
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 97 Winnebago Adventurer has a tag axle designed by the Jet Co. It provided braking power to the tag via electrical brakes (trailer brakes). It too operated by a device (brake controller) under the dash. I believe it was a voyager brand controller. I hated it's location so I installed a dash mounted one for easy access. The wheel on the controller sets the 12v power going to the brakes. Full "on" means 12v applied with each pedal touch. This always produced skidding on the tag wheels. Full off meant no power applied to the brakes at all. Finding the happy middle ground produced best tag braking.
I guess for you you need to identify what type of braking system you have hyd. v.s. electric. I agree, additional tag braking action is a plus but in the interim, prudent driving should not be a concern as the chassis braking system is independent of the add on tag axle system.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #8

Ran into much bigger problem.

Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies.

So I ran into a much bigger problem. The transmission went out on me. Tranny was rebuilt by AAMCO in 05/2018 with less than 3000 miles (18month/18k miles warranty).
It’s been dropped off at AAMCO and I can’t wait to see what will happen.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:03 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check with Ford I believe they will give you a longer warranty. May cost more in the short run but less in the long run.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, winnebago