Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
1997 Damon GM Drivetrain Question

Hi,
We have found a low mile inside stored 1997 Damon Intruder 335B with a Chevy Drivetrain.

Is it a sure thing that a GM driveline of that vintage will be The Vortec MPI engine and 480LE 4 speed transmission?

Seems to be right on the edge of maybe being throttle body. I will of course know when I see it but wouldn't mind saving the time if it's not.

Thank You!!
jgl1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgl1962 View Post
Hi,
We have found a low mile inside stored 1997 Damon Intruder 335B with a Chevy Drivetrain.

Is it a sure thing that a GM driveline of that vintage will be The Vortec MPI engine and 480LE 4 speed transmission?

Seems to be right on the edge of maybe being throttle body. I will of course know when I see it but wouldn't mind saving the time if it's not.

Thank You!!
WELCOME to iRV2.com
It is entirely possible that you know way more than I do about GM engines, but I think this may be the first time I've heard the 454 referred to as "The Vortex". Honestly, I thought that began in 2001 with the 8.1L motor WCC began using in place of the older 454.

I'm sure you are correct about the GM 4 speed tranny, but it MAY be a 4L85E, depending on the P32's GVWR.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank You

EdGray
I may be misapplying the vortec term. My main concern is whether the engine is throttle body or multiport injected. I may well have to wait til I actually see it.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
US1

My ‘01 Winnebago had the 454 MPI that was called the Vortec.
Mid ‘01 was the change over to the 8.1
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
It is a vortec engine, which was produced by GM from 1996. since you are referring to a 1997 rig, it likely has a 1996 chassis under it. Either way, according to the web sites I checked, it will have multiport injection.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

It is very likely to have 7.4L MFI Vortec engine mated to the 4L80E transmission, the last year of the 7.4L TBI engine was 1995, so while it is common for a motoromes to be built on the previous years chassis, ie a '97 motorhome to be built on a '96 chassis due to supply chain issues, it is rare though not impossible for them to be built of 2 year old chassis. There are known examples of this happening when one coach builder buys up surplus chassis from another builder that had went out of business, or with RV manufacturers that stocked up on pre-DPF and pre-DEF diesel chassis.

If you have photos of the dash board you might be able to tell which year chassis it is, as I think the styling of the speedometer gauges changed between 1996-97.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
EdGray
I may be misapplying the vortec term. My main concern is whether the engine is throttle body or multiport injected. I may well have to wait til I actually see it.
Would that be a deal changer?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank You for the replies!
Isaac, I will, figure out how to put up a pic of the gauges.
Arch, given the outstanding condition of the whole MH, no leaks virtually no rust on the chassis maybe it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Would the power and assumed mileage difference be an issue?

Thanks Again
Old 04-29-2021, 02:54 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dash Pic

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=37626&cat=500[/IMG]
Old 04-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank You for the replies!
Isaac, I will, figure out how to put up a pic of the gauges.
Arch, given the outstanding condition of the whole MH, no leaks virtually no rust on the chassis maybe it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Would the power and assumed mileage difference be an issue?

Thanks Again
IMO, those are good things for sure. But a coach that old with low mileage, that means it has not been driven much and raises other concerns with me. Running or exercising a coach regularly is important to keep it healthy.

If I was buying a coach like that I would be planning on going completely thru it.
IE: Replace all rubber items in the engine bay (including looking at condition of rubber boots on the suspension) flush and change ALL fluids, check DOT date of tires, closely check batteries and charging system, working condition of the inverter, repacking front bearings, getting up on the roof and inspecting it, check AC units that they are working properly, and much more.
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #11

Sorry I was mistaken, I just did some checking online, and the Speedometer style change happened on the 97 to 98 model year change, not the 96 to 97 change.

As to the other point, expect lots of mostly rubber parts to need replacement due to age on that coach even if it has been kept indoors. This includes steering and suspension bushings of which there are a lot, not just front end stuff, but sway bar and leaf spring bushings,as well as all sorts of other easy to forget stuff like brake caliper seals, generator fuel line, flexible rubber brake hoses, propane regulator diaphragm, and of course tires no matter how good they look if they are over about 7 years old.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:15 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tommy+Isaac,

Good point on the hoses and bushings etc.

Virtually everything else has been done no earlier than 2020.
Tires, House and starting Batteries, converter, waterpump, airbags in front, plugs and wire, new carb on generator (runs great). The roof is the FIRST thing I looked at as I have bought a leaking travel trailer once or twice.

I still need to see the fridge actually cold along with the A/C and run the awning out to be sure it is as good as it looks.

Thank You for the input.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not going to be a speed demon no matter what engine it has...go for it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This includes steering and suspension bushings of which there are a lot, not just front end stuff, but sway bar and leaf spring bushings,as well as all sorts of other easy to forget stuff like brake caliper seals, generator fuel line, flexible rubber brake hoses, propane regulator diaphragm, and of course tires no matter how good they look if they are over about 7 years old.

That seems extreme. There are probably more vehicles over 7 years old than less than 7 year old, I doubt many have had that type of maintenance and they're not breaking down because of it. Rubber does age out, but not that soon.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damon