Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

1997 Triton V-10 VS 1997 Ford 7.5L V-8?

I currently have a 1997 Class-C (31 foot) Ford Dutchmen with a Triton V-10. I have recently found a (33 foot) 1997 Four Winds Class-A with a 12 foot pullout. The problem is, it only has a 7.5 Litre V-8 EFI engine.

Right now I am extremely happy with the gas mileage and power of my Triton engine but I like the styling (and pullout) of the Class-A. I worry the V-8 wont be powerful enough and thus will get much worse gas mileage.

I drove 1500 kms on $350 fuel with the Triton which I consider very good. Any idea what I could expect with the V-8?

I have combed the net and am not having much luck. Any and all suggestions and direction is greatly appreciated.
Thx

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

I have an 2006 V-10, never drove an earlier version, but I can tell you that my 97 F-53 V-8 460 was more than adequate in the power area. It was 34' long, 12' slide, and I towed a 5,000lb mini-van behind it. You will probably need headers, a rebuilt transmission with a heavy torque converter, brake calipers replaced, new rubber brake lines. Make sure the in-tank fuel pump has been replaced and that the in-line parking brake is not leaking or out of fluid. I got around 5-6 MPG.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I currently have a 1997 Class-C (31 foot) Ford Dutchmen with a Triton V-10. I have recently found a (33 foot) 1997 Four Winds Class-A with a 12 foot pullout. The problem is, it only has a 7.5 Litre V-8 EFI engine.

Right now I am extremely happy with the gas mileage and power of my Triton engine but I like the styling (and pullout) of the Class-A. I worry the V-8 wont be powerful enough and thus will get much worse gas mileage.

I drove 1500 kms on $350 fuel with the Triton which I consider very good. Any idea what I could expect with the V-8?
Thx
I have a '97 460 7.5L in my Ford Bounder. I tow a 3600 pound Honda and get 7+ miles per gallon on the average. I don't usually drive over 62 mph. I drove it (and towed) to Alaska and back in 2006 (14K miles) and averaged 7.4 mph. I never lacked for mountain climbing power. Not fast on the hills, but it gets there.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Thanks very much. Hmmm, I think with my Class C I'm getting about 10 miles per gallon but am not exactly sure? Although I'm not towing anything with it. I just worried the V-8 would be working alot harder and hotter than the V10 and thus problems will occurr.

I guess its hard to compare apples to apples when you are looking at a Class-A VS Class-C and then add on two different engines to compare also!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
the V10 is only a 6.8 liter engine. mucho smooth though!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #6

IMO, the weak point on the 97 F-53 is the tranny. You will want a tranny temp gauge and a real big aftermarket tranny cooler. I actually had 2 extra ones for a total of 3. No way at all my E40D was getting hot. And yes, I did the flow test to make sure my coolers were not slowing down the fluid at all.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I noticed the trans runs cooler since I installed the Banks Intake/exhaust system. I already have a HD torque converter and my toad is 3200 lbs. No problem pulling a grade.
I would still like to install the Banks trans command to tighten up the 1-2, 2-3 upshifts.
I got a little worried when I was caught in heavy traffic in Phoenix while going up a long grade, but trans did not overheat or burn the fluid.

Badboy, the Ford 7.5 liter is known for overheating exhaust mani's and shooting bullets (breaking exhaust bolts). If you are planning on driving up many hills I would suggest to make sure you have headers installed.
I get about 7 mpg pulling a toad.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
I have a '97 460 7.5L in my Ford Bounder. I tow a 3600 pound Honda and get 7+ miles per gallon on the average. I don't usually drive over 62 mph. I drove it (and towed) to Alaska and back in 2006 (14K miles) and averaged 7.4 mph. I never lacked for mountain climbing power. Not fast on the hills, but it gets there.
.....I could not have said it better, 37' here and likewise plenty of power, could not ask for anything better. Good luck, travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a'96 f53 -460 V8 it runs like a bear, I have a 34',it had a bad passenger side exh. mani. when I bought it, I sent it out to be resurfaced and now no proublem with it. I had the fuel pump replaced at 34k. We went to Fla in 09 and averaged around 7.5 mpg.Its a little slow on some steep hills,when we went to Fla we picked up rt.26 off of 81 to Ashville NC some steep hills there we made it over,hit the top at 25/30 mph.I'm satisfied with the performance.I've been thinking about headerd and the intake kit. Happy Motoring
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:39 AM   #10

Thanks very much all, any concerns I have had have now been alleviated for sure. I am planning to move to British Columbia so yes, there will likely be muchos steep hills...unless of course they have flattened them since my last visit

Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I just spend two day drive from Norfolk Va to Henderson ny and our drive up i81,it was a test for my brother in his 34 ft 2003 sun voyager V10 with the banks power pack , and my 1997 Bounder with my 460 with the banks power.
I would say I was the winner in the hill climb test. As we drove at near 60 mph, when we got to the just about any hill that would require downshift from ODirive to 3rd his was late to hold speed and would just about drop to 55 before down shift and then would never be able to return to 60.
As for my 460 it would hold 59 until downshift from ODrive, and shifted fast and smooth to maintain 60.
As we talked on radio it was seen that his v10 was way late to downshift, and when I was behind him it caused me to slow down the cruise control to keep from having to pass him.
Even on slower more steep hills it didn't matter, it might me smoother and times on the road but I have never felt the need for power.
But I will say that the size and weight of the couch has to play a roll. Gvwr 17000
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote