Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #1

Question 1998 Safari Trek 7.4 needs new power steering pump installed near Eureka Montana

Hello RVers!
We've sprung a nasty power steering pump leak. I called WesDon in Eureka MT and they can get us in so I am wondering if anyone has experience with this shop, good or bad? We are also open to any recommendations for another shop in the area!

We have the Xscapers/Escapees Tetons convergence coming up Aug 14 and we are hoping to not have to miss it.

Let us know!
Bear
Magic Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Bear,

A power steering pump change out isn't rocket science. Any semi competent mechanic can do it. Wesdon has excellent reviews on Google. People in small towns like Eureka depend on their local service providers much more than those who live in larger towns. Wesdon has been in business for a long time. If the shop didn't do competent work they would not have lasted.

I would tend to let him have a go at it! Besides, it is a long way to anyplace else!
Old 07-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
A bird in the hand my friend.....
Latech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Thank you both!
Old 02-06-2022, 02:57 PM   #5

Cheetos Garage is THE place to go!

AVOID WESDON AT ALL COST!
My first contact with Don at Wesdon was awesome, set our appointment and got us in and out in the time he said for the cost quoted of nearly $900 (gasp). Unfortunately, the reman P/S pump installed failed in a cell dead zone, with less than 40 miles on it. We are FT RVers and were heading to Idaho. I limped back into town, at 30 miles an hour, on what was my most stressful drive to date with absolutely no Power Steering and nearly no braking. Upon arrival his demeanor was nothing like our first interaction. My first words to him were "wow that was a crazy stressful drive "and his immediate response was a question, "Do you expect me to drop everything for you?" I had no clue how to reply. He refused to take a look and told me he would give me my money back so I took it. He then recommended I find a shop in another town but offered no help in getting the RV there. Terrible attitude, extremely rude, full of rage to the point of physically shaking. He admitted that it took him two days to do the work because it was a difficult job. Go anywhere but where this guy is.

WORK WITH CHEETOS GARAGE INSTEAD
I was able to get across the street to the town park to find another shop and even contemplated driving all the way to Whitefish with no brakes or power steering because I thought we were out of options. Luckily, my wife found CHEETOS GARAGE . I described the issue, explained our situation and they said to absolutely not drive it any further than their shop which was .3 miles away! We were lucky enough to find a Reman on the shelf at a local parts shop which was super helpful. I drove over there right away and they guided me in and got to work right away. Dustin's demeanor was super calm and understanding which was a great relief in helping calm my nerves after such a stressful day. Of course the shop pups added to the stress relief also.

They completed the work and had me drive around the block to confirm all was well and it was. They got us in and out in under 3 hours and for a 1/3 of the cost. I know this was all a luck of the draw with timing but the attitude and care that Dustin and his staff offered was priceless. I highly recommend them if you ever need mechanical service in or near Eureka Montana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
Hey Bear,

A power steering pump change out isn't rocket science. Any semi competent mechanic can do it. Wesdon has excellent reviews on Google. People in small towns like Eureka depend on their local service providers much more than those who live in larger towns. Wesdon has been in business for a long time. If the shop didn't do competent work they would not have lasted.

I would tend to let him have a go at it! Besides, it is a long way to anyplace else!
Old 02-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Trek View Post
AVOID WESDON AT ALL COST!
My first contact with Don at Wesdon was awesome, set our appointment and got us in and out in the time he said for the cost quoted of nearly $900 (gasp). Unfortunately, the reman P/S pump installed failed in a cell dead zone, with less than 40 miles on it. We are FT RVers and were heading to Idaho. I limped back into town, at 30 miles an hour, on what was my most stressful drive to date with absolutely no Power Steering and nearly no braking. Upon arrival his demeanor was nothing like our first interaction. My first words to him were "wow that was a crazy stressful drive "and his immediate response was a question, "Do you expect me to drop everything for you?" I had no clue how to reply. He refused to take a look and told me he would give me my money back so I took it. He then recommended I find a shop in another town but offered no help in getting the RV there. Terrible attitude, extremely rude, full of rage to the point of physically shaking. He admitted that it took him two days to do the work because it was a difficult job. Go anywhere but where this guy is.

WORK WITH CHEETOS GARAGE INSTEAD
I was able to get across the street to the town park to find another shop and even contemplated driving all the way to Whitefish with no brakes or power steering because I thought we were out of options. Luckily, my wife found CHEETOS GARAGE . I described the issue, explained our situation and they said to absolutely not drive it any further than their shop which was .3 miles away! We were lucky enough to find a Reman on the shelf at a local parts shop which was super helpful. I drove over there right away and they guided me in and got to work right away. Dustin's demeanor was super calm and understanding which was a great relief in helping calm my nerves after such a stressful day. Of course the shop pups added to the stress relief also.

They completed the work and had me drive around the block to confirm all was well and it was. They got us in and out in under 3 hours and for a 1/3 of the cost. I know this was all a luck of the draw with timing but the attitude and care that Dustin and his staff offered was priceless. I highly recommend them if you ever need mechanical service in or near Eureka Montana!
Wow that "recovery with Cheetos, etc. is one for the books! You better buy a lottery ticket my friend.
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Sounds like wesdon is Bipolar

I resealed the pump on My Triple E with a 454 chevy.It was a bit tough, but nothing to hard my old bones couldnt handle.
I had the pump on and off in the matter of about 3-4 hours.That included a complete reseal, shaft seal also, ( pulley off and back on) , plus 3 new belts.
I would do that job every day for 900 bucks.
I could work one day a week. Fish the other six...LOL
Old 02-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #8

Yeah right "to above " . Or when shop charges 10-15 hrs. for job owner managed to do in 4hrs first and only time in their life by themselves wrestling/rigging heavy parts. Your running a business you have to cover some what ifs, that's the part of the quote. Run into broken bolts other issues ect. that's after beyond the quote.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:17 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Yeah right "to above " . Or when shop charges 10-15 hrs. for job owner managed to do in 4hrs first and only time in their life by themselves wrestling/rigging heavy parts. Your running a business you have to cover some what ifs, that's the part of the quote. Run into broken bolts other issues ect. that's after beyond the quote.
Not clear on what you are saying .Could you clarify ? thanks
Old 02-11-2022, 04:32 AM   #10

I guess I'm saying owners here have asked about a job quoted at 12hrs and guy here managed to pull it off in 4hrs that is not pro truck mechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latech View Post
Not clear on what you are saying .Could you clarify ? thanks
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 04:53 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
4-5 hours is plenty for a PS pump on a Class A 454 of that vintage.
Hmmmm

I hate it when people get stabbed by "Mechanics"

Gives us ( mechanics) a bad name

Tags
install, led, montana, power, pump, steering