Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
1999 Fleetwood American Eagle low air alarm

hello everyone I am proud owner of this new to me rv.
I drove 300 miles from purchase pick up with now problems. Parked in drive started looking over new toy. put jacks down low air alarm has been on ever since. have been in contact with Spartan tec gave me many suggestions. changed pressure sensor on emergency brake switch this morning with no help.
when i start engine pressure builds at about 90 PSI alarm flickers sound and light on dash then stays on until pressure tops out at 128 PSI. cycled jacks up and down pressure drops to 90 PSI when raising then builds back 128 PSI. alarm stays on entire time. don't feel to good about driving to service center with alarm on almost 40 miles to nearest camping world.
any response will be appreciated
gremsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2020, 08:49 AM   #2

On my 2002 eagle i have several pressure switches. I had my alarm start acting up. When I aired up, the alarm would stay on for about 5 minutes and then slowly stop. This got longer and longer before the alarm would go off. I started unplugging each switch on the fire wall and surrounding area until the alarm stopped. Turns out it was a bad switch on the inside fire wall behind the steering column. Pulled the switch and replaced. All good.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
May do better at a major truck repair shop. They should also have a mobile repair service.

Your main concern would be the air brakes. If your system loses pressure (below about 45psi) the yellow button on the dash will pop out and the rear brakes will be applied. However there is a routine test of the air brake system. If your system meets those requirements it should be safe to drive to repair.
1.Chock the wheels.
2. Start the engine and run until air pressure cutout is reached, the dryer will purge. (about 120 PSI).
3. Shut off the engine.
4. Release the parking brake by pushing in the yellow button, do NOT apply the service brake.
5. The air pressure will drop, then stabilize, after that the system should not lose more than 2 PSI per minute.
6. Apply the brake pedal firmly (still with the parking brake OFF).
7. After the initial pressure drop, the system should not lose any more than 3 PSI per minute.
8. With the engine off and parking brake off, rapidly pump (fan) the brake pedal to bleed down the air supply. During this stage you should watch for the warning light and buzzer at about 60 PSI and then the yellow button (parking brake) should pop out at about 30-45 PSI.
9. Restart the engine and build up air pressure. While building up pressure, check how long it takes for pressure to go from 85 to 100 PSI at about 1200 RPM. It should be less than 45 seconds.
10. Set parking brake, Remove chocks, put vehicle in gear against the parking brake, slightly increase rpm, it should not move.

FWIW this test should be done prior to each trip..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Congratulations on your Eagle.

I think this conversation will give you the answer from my post in 2015.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/air-...or-253892.html

I would think your 99 will be just like my 98 as they are the basically the same body style.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Hooligan is spot on re:standard air brake test.

Your issue is bad sensors. You will not need a heavy truck shop to solve your problem.

As you are a newbie you will find quite a bit of valuable advice and information on this site,but make it easy for folks to help you by putting all the information on your rig in your signature line.

There are many owners of vintage American Eagles, Dreams and Traditions that frequent the Fleetwood owners forums on this site.

Whatever you encounter there will be someone who has" been there and done that".

Good idea to post questions like this over there as opposed to the Class A forum.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremsg View Post
hello everyone I am proud owner of this new to me rv.
I drove 300 miles from purchase pick up with now problems. Parked in drive started looking over new toy. put jacks down low air alarm has been on ever since. have been in contact with Spartan tec gave me many suggestions. changed pressure sensor on emergency brake switch this morning with no help.
when i start engine pressure builds at about 90 PSI alarm flickers sound and light on dash then stays on until pressure tops out at 128 PSI. cycled jacks up and down pressure drops to 90 PSI when raising then builds back 128 PSI. alarm stays on entire time. don't feel to good about driving to service center with alarm on almost 40 miles to nearest camping world.
any response will be appreciated
Thanks for all responses
after reading other post i investigated and found 2 more switches behind kick panel aired system up unplugged one at time alarm stopped. will replace with new all well
again thanks
Old 03-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #7

Cool. Glad you got it
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Howard Power Center System

My next project on this new to me coach is evaluation of this steering system.
previous owner stated he never used (he called high tec system)
I like things to work. I have motto if it ain't broke I did not own it!
So anyone have experience with this system?
It seems to have been installed when coach was new (1999)
1999 fleetwood american eagle
all components are present oil reservoir appears to be empty, when unit is turned compressor only runs for few seconds no air pressure shown on gauge
any thoughts or suggestion on need to make system usable or not would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	howard manual.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	277287   Click image for larger version

Name:	howard stteer diagram.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	277288  

Old 03-08-2020, 08:03 AM   #9

Have no idea what this system is or why it would have been installed.

OEM Power Steering works very well on these Spartan Chassis coaches.

Suggest that you start a new thread with the system name as the topic.

Tags
1999, air, fleetwood