Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Unhappy 1999 Fleetwood Discovery Dies while driving.

Discovery 36t Cumming 5.9 24v.

Have had the RV for about 5 months. After a trip got it back to the storage yard and it quit, guys at the yard got it primed and started. I had the pick up pump replaced at Freightliner drove it home and it quit, thought it could have been out of fuel (Maybe a bad fuel gauge) added five gallons and sprayed starter fluid and it started drove it to the gas station added 12 gallons and drove it home. Drove to my daughters soccer game and it quit again. Sprayed starter fluid and it started and ran.

It does not sputter it just quits. No check engine lights.

I am thinking it is electrical or something in the fuel tank???

Any ideas? Do mechanics scope fuel tanks?
Tballgame009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2

It's a bad idea to spray starter fluid into a diesel. Not recommended.

It sounds like you have a dirty fuel filter. Try replacing that first. Check your water separator too.

Then, there is a fuel pump relay that goes bad on these things too.

Best way to tell if yours is going bad is to put a fuel pump pressure gauge on it.

In the event that your fuel pump is going bad, keep in mind you can install an external pump from NAPA. I've got one on mine and it's worked fine for 8 years now

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fuel filters for sure. And fill the tank, all the way. How does the genny run?
Starting fluid is not a good idea.

Very little that will stop a diesel...
Is a 99 electronic or mechanicl?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Jims, Thanks for the reply. Understood on the starting fluid.

Fuel filter has been changed after the 2nd occurrence. I am planning on changing out all the relays so far I have found four in the inverter compartment and 2 in the fuse block near the foot peddles. Can you tell me more about the external pump is it an inline pump? What model did you use?

I believe this is an electronic fuel pump. Good question about the tank and genny, this seems to happen at about a quarter tank the genny will quit also but I figured that the fuel line for the genny must be plumed at a higher level than the line to the engine to keep you from running the tank dry with the generator? This makes me think it may be a tank issue?

In any event my plan at this point is to replace relays, checking to see if anyone in the phoenix area can scope the tank. I have been to Freightliner and am also going to contact Cumming today.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spoke with service rep at Camping world today and he seemed fairly sure the rubber fuel lines are the issue.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #6

Hey, Tball, If you notice, I have a '99 Discovery, with the 5.9 L Cummins, and had an issue with it after I had used a high pressure on the engine and radiator. I took it to Cummins, and they hooked up to the ECM, and told me excately what had happened, it was a connection at the plug to the ECM. I have also changed the fuel pump, to an external inline. I placed it after the water seperator filter, but before the secondary, but in a place more accessible than the factory set up. I hope you will keep us informed about what you find? Might save some of us other guys some head ache! LOL!!
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tballgame009 View Post
Spoke with service rep at Camping world today and he seemed fairly sure the rubber fuel lines are the issue.
This is a possibility. On my 97 Discovery it had a collapsed fuel line and the pump just couldn't suck enough fuel all of the time. I replaced the line and all was good. If all else checks out OK, I would look into replacing the fuel line. Pretty cheap fix for me.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Fuel filter has been changed after the 2nd occurrence. I am planning on changing out all the relays so far I have found four in the inverter compartment and 2 in the fuse block near the foot peddles. Can you tell me more about the external pump is it an inline pump? What model did you use?
In-line fuel pump I use has a 5-9 GPM output. Additional parts needed were fuel hose, brass couplers and adapters to mate the 1/4" pump with the 1/2" system, clamps, and electrical connectors. Got lucky and found a nearby live wire that is hot during 'run' and 'start'. Sorry, I can't find the part number but NAPA has generic fuel pumps.

You can see a picture of it at my blog. Scroll to the 'Rig Won't Start' section at the bottom of the page: http://chaos.goblinbox.com/rv-repair...ngine-repairs/

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood