Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as corrosion is concerned, I haven't found anything that would leave me to believe that is the issue, although I will continue to search. Everything is very clean in this area.

I checked continuity of Every fuse and they all tested fine, however I did find some fuses where the outer plastic housing was all cracked. I've heard before that these fuses can have a hairline crack unnoticeable to the naked eye so I have already replaced every fuse with a brand new fuse just to check that off the list. While doing so I replaced (2) 2-amp fuses on the hydro-boost line that tested fine while in the harness, but when I removed them they literally crumbled in my hand and fell apart. I will continue checking fuses and will also address all of the ground wires as you mentioned. In due time I'll get through it all LOL. I will keep you posted as I continue working. Thanks again for all of the help.
Rymancn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #30

Dang… this sounds just like my intermittent problem I have on my ‘07 GS.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
UPDATE

I've been taking some time slowly finding grounds, relays, fuses, etc. to check and replace any that look questionable. We just returned from a 2 hour road trip with no issues. I'm not sure if I have actually fixed the issue, but so far so good.

In regards to my generator randomly shutting off, I noticed the last 12" of fuel line which connected to the generator fuel pump was dry, hard, and simply not in good shape. I cut back about 3', inserted a fuel connection nipple and reconnected to the fuel pump. After doing this, I have been running the generator pretty regularly for 2-4 hours at a time just to check on it and so far it hasn't shut off once. I believe it was sucking in air where the fuel line was fraying and brittle. I'll continue to keep an eye on this.

Thanks for everyone for all of the feedback. I will provide more feedback in the weeks to come.

On a different note, I will be submitting a new post for my Norcold fridge, it's acting up now. If its not one thing, its another
Old 10-13-2021, 05:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymancn View Post
I've been taking some time slowly finding grounds, relays, fuses, etc. to check and replace any that look questionable. We just returned from a 2 hour road trip with no issues. I'm not sure if I have actually fixed the issue, but so far so good.

In regards to my generator randomly shutting off, I noticed the last 12" of fuel line which connected to the generator fuel pump was dry, hard, and simply not in good shape. I cut back about 3', inserted a fuel connection nipple and reconnected to the fuel pump. After doing this, I have been running the generator pretty regularly for 2-4 hours at a time just to check on it and so far it hasn't shut off once. I believe it was sucking in air where the fuel line was fraying and brittle. I'll continue to keep an eye on this.

Thanks for everyone for all of the feedback. I will provide more feedback in the weeks to come.

On a different note, I will be submitting a new post for my Norcold fridge, it's acting up now. If its not one thing, its another
I was just scrolling through topics and saw this one and a big light flashed in front of my head. I scrolled through the replies to see if anyone had suggested this, but I didn't see it. Seeing that you still haven't solved it, it's worth a try.

About ten years ago, we had a new Hyundai Tucson that did the same thing. It was only a year or two after we purchased it and we'd be driving down the road and poof, the engine would stop running, all the lights came on the dash, very scary! Every time, pull over, stop, place in park, started right back up. Sounds like what you're dealing with.

Came to find out, the number of keys that were on the keychain was causing too much pressure on the ignition switch! Seriously, we never considered that, but it's what was causing it.

Is there any chance that this could be the case for your MH?

Hope this helps. If not, it was worth a try.

Good luck.

t
Old 10-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks TimmyB

TimmyB...Thank you for chiming in on this thread. A close friend of mine mentioned the issue could be related to the ignition key switch itself. My key ring is LOADED with keys for the RV and many other things (its heavy), so it's very possible this could play a role in my problem. I will make some changes and let you know the outcome. Thanks again for the advice
Old 10-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymancn View Post
TimmyB...Thank you for chiming in on this thread. I close friend of mine mentioned the issue could be related to the ignition itself. My key ring is LOADED with keys for the RV and many other things (its heavy), so t's very possible this could play a role in my problem. I will make some changes and let you know the outcome.
Yeah, we learned our lesson. We never have any more than two or three keys on our ignition key. One more reason we love push-button start in all our new cars! Good luck!
Old 10-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #35

I think it is your fuel pump relay. It's a common problem related to the onboard fuel pump relay. I just had a very similar issue on my 2003 F250. The contacts in the fuel pump relay get worn and burned causing intermittent stalling and even cutting out while driving. Sometimes it runs great for a few hours and then stalls every 15 minutes. I would just pull over turn the ignition off and then restart the truck, no problem. Eventually it will fail completely in some cases I have read.

My issue seemed to get worse and more frequent stall outs over a couple months.

The fuel pump relay is built into the fuse panel circuit board so you cannot replace it easily. I bypassed it and put in a stand alone relay just a week ago and have not had a single issue since the replacement/bypass. I found out how to do this here:

The procedure is fairly straight forward and inexpensive.

Let us know if this solves your problem. Good Luck
Old 10-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Wood Boss

The Wood Boss.....Thank you so much for your reply and insight. I did some checking and after looking through my manual although we have the same motor, I don't believe we have the same type of power distribution box/fuse panel. From looking at my manual it appears my fuse pump relay is easily replaceable. I have enclosed some pics of my fuse panel/distribution panel.

Relay #2 (fuel pump relay) and Relay #4 (two speed fuel pump relay). I replaced both of these relays last summer when the issue started to surface and at times it would still stall out but would always crank right back up which would lead me to believe it's not related to the fuel pump relays.

I also replaced the fuel pump motor fuse (location #21) with a new 20A fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8591.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	346505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8592.JPG
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	346506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8593.JPG
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	346507  
Old 10-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #37

Nice that you can replace them, perhaps swap them around to see if plugging in a different one has any effect. You may want to check the fuel pressure when it's running ok and when the problem occurs. My symptom was stalling out and starting right back up no problem, turned out to be the fuel pump relay. You can also try to find the 12 volt power wire going from the relay to the fuel pump and make sure it's getting 12+ volts with a multi meter.

Tags
1999, chassis, engine, ford