Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #1

1999 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser Purchase

Im looking at a 1999 scenic cruiser dp 36 ft. I am not familiar with the gulf stream brand, how well they are built etc. It is supposed to be in good shape with the exception of the windshield which is cracked. Any advice or points to look for? I am more familiar with newmar, holiday rambler or monaco how will this compare?
hlagooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlagooty View Post
Im looking at a 1999 scenic cruiser dp 36 ft. I am not familiar with the gulf stream brand, how well they are built etc. It is supposed to be in good shape with the exception of the windshield which is cracked. Any advice or points to look for? I am more familiar with newmar, holiday rambler or monaco how will this compare?
I looked up the brochure for your 99 model.

The coach could be ordered with several options that will tell you the quality.

First off ?
Dies it have the solid cherry wood woodworking ?

That will tell you if it was ordered as an upper end coach in that model.

It does look like they all had double pane windows and thats good.

It will be easy for you to tell how its been cared for and serviced. Regardless.

Good luck.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #3

no, pics show white cabinets. I wondered about that. does that mean the cheap particle board stuff like home depot?
Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
no, pics show white cabinets. I wondered about that. does that mean the cheap particle board stuff like home depot?
Well, someting like that.
You would have to go look for yourself and see what you think.

Overall about the coach.

Or hire a professional inspector to review the coach and send you allot of pictures.

Veneer is used in some very upscale coaches.

But ???? On this one.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Im going to see it on friday afternoon. Wish I could get more general input on how well gulfstream are built and hold up. Kinda seems like a ghost community on this one. It needs a windshield Im trying to get a quote on that. Anybody have a good guess?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #6

I have a Gulfstream and find the interior very comparable to other units. I have had no issues uncommon to other used units. Trim repair extra, all the coaches I have owned needed some interior attention due to road wear. Vibrations bad roads stuff like that. All the components inside are the same as other brand models easy to find and replace
You have to decide whether you like the interior layout. The power plant and overall condition comparable to price. Bottom line I love mine and doing upgrades to interior to suit what I want
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180429_102213.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	232169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_191807.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	232170  

nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #7

Slides are in
Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

How well insulated is your coach , noisy hot or cool. Were gulf streams rare? Hardly any response on this makes me wonder. I will look it over thoroughly but wanted other owners feedback thanks for your input
Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were a Gulstream dealer. Gulfstream products with the white interior were pressed wood with a plastic cover. The glue came loose quite often, but it was a easy repair to reglue the cover back on. Check the payload of the coaches. Gulfstreams were well made but a price was paid for that. Some of their DP's only had a 1500 lb load limit. Overall they were a good coach.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 PM   #10

Having a time finding capacity versus empty weight . It's a 99dp would it have a mechanical 8.3 or a isc electronic engine
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Having a time finding capacity versus empty weight . It's a 99dp would it have a mechanical 8.3 or a isc electronic engine
As a former dealer are any specific areas to check out on gulf streams? Does the unit having the white cabinets mean it was a bargain basement version?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #12

To get information on the engine you can get the vin and call the chassis manufacturer and they will tell you exactly what you have. Good chance it is a freightliner as for my coach it is very well insulated and quite you don't hear what's going on outside unless someone is just loud. The AC will freeze you at night. As for your cabinets and such if the price is right for you or negotiating a good price you can do some upgrades on the interior and make it yours. Gulf Stream is not making DP anymore due to market in 2010. But remember there is not a single thing in that coach that was specific to GS. Everything is available for replacement. My headlights are the same as a freightliner truck just an example. I would check roof and engine
Old 01-17-2019, 03:10 AM   #13

Don't get hung up on the name. Do you like it is is still solid no water damage and is the price right for your budget what engine is in it?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 AM   #14

Not trying to sell you on a GS regardless of brand, they all have issues in one form or another. A good friend of mine has the American Coach very beautiful but has had one thing after another go wrong this past year with his appliance's
Take a look at tires the roof and air ride and powertrain. Is it a full body paint? And most of all when you look at it did you like it? What was your first thought in your gut? There are RVs for sale everywhere so if you walk away another deal will come by. But don't get hung up on brand name. Regardless of what you buy they all need attention even a brand new 500 G unit comes off the floor with issues. I have always buy used MH this is my 5th and probably last. Most of the big issues have already been resolved by the original owner. I then go through fixing cabinets and even my refrigerator on this one. Just know going in you'll have some odds and ends that need attention. Take some pics

Tags
1999, gulf stream, purchase