Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #1

Exclamation 1999 HR Navigator 42' Tag

Hi. I am new to the forums, thanks in advance for reading this thread.

Been searching for many months for the right coach. I think I have found it and I told myself I would post on this forum when I did. I hope to query the communities expertise and opinions about my decision to buy my first coach.

1999 Holiday Rambler Navigator
450 M11 w/ Allison
42ft
109000 miles

Everything appears in order, tires, paint and exterior is in excellent condition, interior is well taken care of, its been garage kept when stored. It really looks marvelous for a 1999, very surprised. It's within my cash budget too.

What should I be looking out for with HR's of this year, any warning signs?
Am I crazy buying a coach this old? Should I be looking 2001-2003?
Should I be prepared to drop 10-20K in preventative maintenance?

I am looking to hit the road full time for a few months next year, it needs to get me 20-30K miles by mid of 2018. I am dead set on Aquahot, 40'+, and a beautiful exterior. My budget is $60K and this coach is $50K.

THANKS!
antarias is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I would highly recommend you have a qualified RV technician inspect the coach and a qualified mechanic inspect the chassis side of things. What is the manufacture date of the tires?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The Navigator in this year range was the top of the line Holiday Rambler offering. No expense was spared in it's construction.

Provided it was maintained it will have a long life ahead of it. Maintenance is the key. I would have an inspection done that includes oil samples from engine, generator and transmission. Also have an antifreeze sample analyzed.

Run the generator under a heavy load, it's probably got the 12KW generator so it is capable of 100 amp draw. Check all appliances to make sure they work.

Look for any signs of leaks in the sealing and around any exterior openings like windows and doors, roof vents etc.

109K miles for a diesel won't hurt it provided the maintenance was done. When inspected make sure to look at brakes. Still should be plenty of life left provided they PO was not someone who rode the brakes and used the exhaust brake when warranted.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
in my opinion, you really need to go see the RV yourself if you have not already.

When I was searching two years ago I looked at more than a dozen that were listed on Ebay/RVtrader/RVT/Craigsist/Private Parties/RV dealers and such. All looked good in the photo's but most were very different when I saw them in person.
Besides hiring a qualified non-biased inspector, you really do need to see an RV in person (and drive it if at all possible) before you consider purchasing it.

I would never consider buying a big-ticket item without looking it over myself first, especially something as complex as an RV.

thx Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Another thing to consider, and I am not trying to be negative here, just honest about used RV's.

Plan to spend another $20-25,000 once you get it. I Know this sounds extremely high, but once you have it and start experiencing all the other parts of RV ownership, anything from water hoses and electric cables to TV systems. Tire monitors, toads, engine and suspension maintenance, it will quickly mount up.

I am also assuming you can do a lot of this type of maintenance, upgrade and repair yourself. If you are not very mechanically inclined I question the purchase of any RV of this age.

In researching used RV's, everyone says don't be concerned with the mileage. In general I agree with that with regard to use of the RV. Mine had about 98,000 when we bought it and it had 115,000 now. No major drive train issues. What I do think happens though is that the resale value and ability to sell falls off a lot after some number -- say 120-130,000 miles. You will be competing with a lot of RV's with lower miles and at some point people do become concerned with mileage. Used RV's I saw that might have been of good overall condition seemed to sit on the market if they had higher mileage. (again maybe 120-130K miles or more)
If you buy it just plan on using it a lot and getting your money's worth that way (like full timing) -- not by resale value and lower depreciation since it is older.

Having said all that -- good luck with your purchase. I hope it is the right one for you.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Make sure that you get the aqua hot checked out. There are a few issues that they can have and if you have to replace it expect to pay over $10k. The motor in that navigator is bulletproof, you shouldn't have any issues but you should have the oil and trans fluid checked by a lab before purchasing it. Make the deal contingent on good lab results. If it has a dual refrigerator, make sure that any recalls have been done. That should only be a 2 slide model so make sure there is enough room for you if you are going to full time.
Steve
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I would highly recommend you have a qualified RV technician inspect the coach and a qualified mechanic inspect the chassis side of things. What is the manufacture date of the tires?
Thanks! The tires have a date is October of 2015. Yes, I plan on finding a shop to do an inspection, what do you suppose that should cost typically?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and provided their thoughts. The seller said the coach didn't need an inspection and that if an inspector inspected it they would find problems and try to stop the sale... so i ran from it and will persist in looking.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Don't think I would run too quick, the seller is being honest. I would do the inspection after seeing the maintenance records and they are in order. Most likely the inspection will say things like everything is old or maybe at the end of life and unless one understands that yes it's 18 years old but looking at condition and judge. Sounds like it could be a great coach and if the maintenance records check out I would think just carry on when timed out or mileage do what is required. It sounds as if you have seen the coach in person.

LEN