Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #1

1999 PaceArrow slides

I'm wondering if there is routine maintenance required for slides on my coach. My living room slide has begun making a slight scraping noise when first starting out. I would hate to be stranded in a site somewhere and unable to retract slides.
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
1999 PaceArrow slides

Scraping noise sounds ominous and would likely be some type of misalignment. Suggest you get that checked out soon.

Overall, maintenance of slides, like most parts on your coach, depends on type of unit

On my coach I have four slides but three DIFFERENT types of systems.

One is cable drive, one is rack and pinion gear, and the other two are hydraulic on a shared pump system

Each type requires a different type of routine maintenance on the drive system but what they all have in common is they will benefit from a good silicon based lubricant on the slide seals.

Check your owners manual for maintenance guidelines or talk to the manufacturer or qualified RV repair shop if the Co is out of business. Fleet wood is still in business and I'm sure there are a lot of 99 Pace Arrow owners out there who can give you more specific help

If you have fabric slide toppers, check them first because if they are tattered or torn they can cause the noises you describe when moving the slide

Also, be sure your coach has some form of manual slide locking mechanism that you can use if and when a slide fails

It is often easier than many folks think to get a broken slide back in if the drive is kaput (don't ask how I know), but once it's pushed in, if you can't lock it down, that can be the bigger problem.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

I have an appointment scheduled in three weeks to check alignment. Thanks
Regwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I protect the seals all around the coach with this product. It's not cheap, but it works really well. My owners manual says to do the house door seal once per week!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJ6EZ8

Tags
ace, slide