Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1

1999 Safari Continental Panther

Anyone got one of these or heard anything good or bad about them?

Higher than we wanted to spend...but looks good on paper.

Safari 40 foot Continental with the Panther 425 ZZ package upgrade for $79,000.00 Canadian.

Going to be going full-time in February...at least we're going to try it for a few months.

Thanks
Barbara
AloraDanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloraDanin View Post
Anyone got one of these or heard anything good or bad about them?

Higher than we wanted to spend...but looks good on paper.

Safari 40 foot Continental with the Panther 425 ZZ package upgrade for $79,000.00 Canadian.

Going to be going full-time in February...at least we're going to try it for a few months.

Thanks
Barbara
I have a '96 Safari Sahara Edition. Love it. Check EBay for Safaris, I think the price is high.

Here's a litst of other places to look.

http://craigslist.thingweb.com/
http://www.rv-online.com/
http://ww2.rvtraderonline.com/
http://usedmotorhome.com/search.asp
http://www.nationalmultilist.com/find_rv.php
http://www.rvsearch.com/
http://www.rvclassified.com/adsearch1m.htm
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

There is a 2002 on the Portland Craig's List site for less than that (exchange rate taken into account). Also, since Ken didn't say anything about them you should skip on over to the two Yahoo Safari Websites. They both have some very helpful folks annnnnnnnnnnnnd a Used Motorhome Checklist file that is downloadable (PDF) that I used when I specifically shopped for a Non Slide Safari (wound up with a 1997 Serengetti M-4040). One of the best pieces of advise got from the website was about the Pricing guides (KBB & NADA). Most folks (and dealers) way over price their coaches because of the guides. What makes the RV pricing guides different from all the others is that it is NOT based on actual sales but rather a best guess depreciated MSRP value. Using Safari's/Beavers as a prime example, those coaches came off the floor onto the dealers lot Fully Equipped. My Serengeti only had a few options that could have been added, i.e., Aqua-Hot Heating, slide, and a 330hp Cat instead of a standard 300HP Cat motor. When you look at the pricing guides, they start with a base price and have you check off all the "Options", i.e., TV's A/C's, side by side refrig, leveling jacks, on and on and on, then they compute the "Total Prices." Since my Serengetti had all of those "Options" as "Standard Equipment" to accurately price my coach you do NOT check off all of those options to get a value. At the time (3 years ago), incorrectly checking off the options resulted in a $52,000 valuation. Correctly not checking off the options since they were all standard equipment and figured in the original MSRP (1997 - $234,000) and then depreciated (I think Straight Line method), the correct value was $39,750. Haggling settled my purchase price at $36,325. Market condition also come into play and as a buyer with cash, you are in the proverbal catbird's seat. Happy Hunting, and as a bit of info, we love our Safari, excellent condition, smooth as silk ride, and an absolute pleasure to own.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

One more piece of market advise I got from the Yahoo Safari website was to track and compare actual sold motorhome values (not the NADA/KBB Estimates) sold was to go to a very large Motorhome Dealer's website (they are located in Texas) which if memory serve correctly is PPL. They list the initial asking prices and what the coach sold for. And for how long it sat on their lot. In my case, it was an eye opener just how close the sold prices tracked to the "Correct KBB/NADA" values.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
There is a 2002 on the Portland Craig's List site for less than that (exchange rate taken into account). Also, since Ken didn't say anything about them you should skip on over to the two Yahoo Safari Websites. They both have some very helpful folks annnnnnnnnnnnnd a Used Motorhome Checklist file that is downloadable (PDF) that I used when I specifically shopped for a Non Slide Safari (wound up with a 1997 Serengetti M-4040). One of the best pieces of advise got from the website was about the Pricing guides (KBB & NADA). Most folks (and dealers) way over price their coaches because of the guides. What makes the RV pricing guides different from all the others is that it is NOT based on actual sales but rather a best guess depreciated MSRP value. Using Safari's/Beavers as a prime example, those coaches came off the floor onto the dealers lot Fully Equipped. My Serengeti only had a few options that could have been added, i.e., Aqua-Hot Heating, slide, and a 330hp Cat instead of a standard 300HP Cat motor. When you look at the pricing guides, they start with a base price and have you check off all the "Options", i.e., TV's A/C's, side by side refrig, leveling jacks, on and on and on, then they compute the "Total Prices." Since my Serengetti had all of those "Options" as "Standard Equipment" to accurately price my coach you do NOT check off all of those options to get a value. At the time (3 years ago), incorrectly checking off the options resulted in a $52,000 valuation. Correctly not checking off the options since they were all standard equipment and figured in the original MSRP (1997 - $234,000) and then depreciated (I think Straight Line method), the correct value was $39,750. Haggling settled my purchase price at $36,325. Market condition also come into play and as a buyer with cash, you are in the proverbal catbird's seat. Happy Hunting, and as a bit of info, we love our Safari, excellent condition, smooth as silk ride, and an absolute pleasure to own.
Gee, I missed two.

I have the check list in my signature list on another RV forum, forgot it wasn't on this one.

You made some very good points, John.
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraKen View Post
Gee, I missed two.

I have the check list in my signature list on another RV forum, forgot it wasn't on this one.

You made some very good points, John.
You are the ONE that gave them to me
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #7

I am not sure when Monaco started making Safari's but it was right around that year model. Pre Monaco I think were built better. but I am predjudice as mine is a 94.
wolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #8

Monaco Took over Safari in 2002/2003.