Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
Free Ranger

What did you do to sell most your things? We have a houseful. Going to try not to store too much. Thanks
Between Family, Facebook, Yardsale(s) and Craigslist we were able to sell off everything. Well we did donate some clothing items to the Disabled American Veterans Association
Free Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #86

Country Coach Owners Club
Just another idea I haven't seen mentioned.

Have you considered renting an RV for a week or two? I've found a number of places that will rent class A DP with tandems - some of them are owner cooperatives.

While they aren't "free" - the chance to do an extensive "test drive" could be invaluable...what you love (need 4 slides?), what you hate (combo washer/dryer), what you may want to consider changing (is a queen bed big enough?, residential refrigerator vs RV sized, 3 AC units vs. 2, "big" engine, etc).

While a two week rental may cost $1k+, the thought of "getting it wrong" on a six figure purchase makes me think it may be an excellent investment.

Just my two cents.

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #87

I wished had the time to sort through all of the posts made here, but 7 pages is just too much reading for me.

Just our 2 cents....................we started with 5er just 2 1/2 years ago (Cameo) and as soon as I had it loaded after selling house, it was way too over loaded to take off and tour the country for a year. We had more 50 stops scheduled. Immediately went back to dealer and purchased a 38 foot Class A to tour with. Now, 2 years later, we have done the bulk of our traveling and will be spending 5-6 months with friends we have on the road at one park and 4-5 months where we purchased a lot in Colorado......so it is back to a 5er which we just made the purchase yesterday. Yes, a diesel tow vehicle is required (around $40-50K) and our new 5er (around $55K). After nearly 3 weeks of spreadsheets and comparing all costs (maintenance, fuel, etc), the 5er won out. It would take closer to $160K on the low side to give us the bus that would work. Then after adding special toad and towing and braking devices (another $4-5K). It really starts to add up.

Additionally, as some have already stated, diesel maintenance is extremely expensive for both mechanical and frame issues and then dealing with frame manufacturer separate from other maintenance MH issues and more items needing to be done at a shop. Nearly all maintenance and repairs on 5er can be done at your campsite.

Hope this all helps................it is a tough road and we went down it and lost money everytime we changed............an expensive education and this after doing years of research before making our first purchase. Tread with caution.....
jackandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandjan
I wished had the time to sort through all of the posts made here, but 7 pages is just too much reading for me.

Just our 2 cents....................we started with 5er just 2 1/2 years ago (Cameo) and as soon as I had it loaded after selling house, it was way too over loaded to take off and tour the country for a year. We had more 50 stops scheduled. Immediately went back to dealer and purchased a 38 foot Class A to tour with. Now, 2 years later, we have done the bulk of our traveling and will be spending 5-6 months with friends we have on the road at one park and 4-5 months where we purchased a lot in Colorado......so it is back to a 5er which we just made the purchase yesterday. Yes, a diesel tow vehicle is required (around $40-50K) and our new 5er (around $55K). After nearly 3 weeks of spreadsheets and comparing all costs (maintenance, fuel, etc), the 5er won out. It would take closer to $160K on the low side to give us the bus that would work. Then after adding special toad and towing and braking devices (another $4-5K). It really starts to add up.

Additionally, as some have already stated, diesel maintenance is extremely expensive for both mechanical and frame issues and then dealing with frame manufacturer separate from other maintenance MH issues and more items needing to be done at a shop. Nearly all maintenance and repairs on 5er can be done at your campsite.

Hope this all helps................it is a tough road and we went down it and lost money everytime we changed............an expensive education and this after doing years of research before making our first purchase. Tread with caution.....
I think your summary is right on....if you are going to travel a MH is a great way to go....on the other hand, if you are going to park for months at a time, the 5er is the better choice. The only thing I don't understand is ..."why change"...? You already own the Class A...why not keep-it? As you say....every time you make a change it costs you money!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I think your summary is right on....if you are going to travel a MH is a great way to go....on the other hand, if you are going to park for months at a time, the 5er is the better choice. The only thing I don't understand is ..."why change"...? You already own the Class A...why not keep-it? As you say....every time you make a change it costs you money!
Sorry, Jack.............must qualify. We sold the coach last February and purchased stick and brick. Now selling stick and brick to go back on the road fulltime.
jackandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
I will say we love our 5th but riding in the truck pulling that 5th wears on us after 5 or 6 hours. After that......hubby, I, and the 2 dogs are about to kill each other! All we want is out of there. That's what started this thread--thinking a MH would be more comfortable to travel in. BTW..he has a 2010 Dodge Ram 3500.
Not fulltimers, but agree about the driving aspect, the MH, even though ours is a gasser is so much easier on us then a truck or a car.

Our dream is a DP and some day to full time, hopefully you'll realize your dream soon, good luck!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #91

My hubby and I also wanted a big change (well he did really, more than me, although I have always been a little adventerous) - we had a house in Oregon but came across a business opportunity that we could take on the road. Our first test run lasted 3 1/2 months and we were in our Honda CRV, staying at motels and extended stays. We went home for 2 1/2 months, then hit the road again this time we got a little bigger with a Kia Sedona SUV. That trip was from Oregon to Cali to Arizona thru the midwest to Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, flew to Puerto Rico to see one of our kids, back across through the Gulf states, Texas, NM, Arizona . Back to Oregon at Christmas for 2 weeks, back on the road in the Kia. This July past our house sold. We decided we weren't ready to get off the road yet, so we bought a 2003 Monaco. We've been in it about 6 weeks. We are loving it. We had a similar problem with our "stuff". So - we have some at a friends in Arizona, some at his mom's house in California, the rest at my daughters in Portland. The rest was given away or sold. Not ideal having it all over the place. We are now planning to stay in Arizona for the winter, a good place for us and our work. As for RV'ng full time - after living together in motel rooms for almost two years - being together in a car, at work, and one room, the MH feels luxurious. When we were looking we really wanted to just use a chunk of the house money, saving some for a "real" house someplace. But the Class C's were too small - more confining we felt than a motel room in some ways. We settled on our Monaco. The price was a little more than we planned, but was in great shape, etc. Just as we were buying it my husband's health changed a little, so he can not drive for now. So I had to learn to drive it - BIG step for me. But I had no choice. We had bought it - what could I do. I am quite proud of myself with what I have done and learned. Anyway - my whole point is just go for it.

Our criteria was - a shower tall enough for hubb to stand upright in, a bed long enough for him to stretch out in, a kitchen that suited him - he's the full time cook. I needed to add the criteria of something that was light and bright. Our MH has lots of windows, and mirrors to reflect the light. However we already can see that a few more feet - 42 or 44' and a second slide out would be very nice. We sometimes miss a yard and garden, I miss my compost bin and favorite stores, but we'll have all that again someday. And we are having such a great adventure.

You will know when you find the right one. Good luck - it's really a great chapter for us beginning retirees. We aren't quite ready financially to stop working, our kids and family are all over the states plus one territory. This allows us to see people and see the country. We make enough to get us around, to give us our TV, our happy hour supplies, good food. And we enjoy having a different yard to look at every week, with the same home sweet home on the inside. So - go for it.....
frazierdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazierdee
My hubby and I also wanted a big change (well he did really, more than me, although I have always been a little adventerous) - we had a house in Oregon but came across a business opportunity that we could take on the road. Our first test run lasted 3 1/2 months and we were in our Honda CRV, staying at motels and extended stays. We went home for 2 1/2 months, then hit the road again this time we got a little bigger with a Kia Sedona SUV. That trip was from Oregon to Cali to Arizona thru the midwest to Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, flew to Puerto Rico to see one of our kids, back across through the Gulf states, Texas, NM, Arizona . Back to Oregon at Christmas for 2 weeks, back on the road in the Kia. This July past our house sold. We decided we weren't ready to get off the road yet, so we bought a 2003 Monaco. We've been in it about 6 weeks. We are loving it. We had a similar problem with our "stuff". So - we have some at a friends in Arizona, some at his mom's house in California, the rest at my daughters in Portland. The rest was given away or sold. Not ideal having it all over the place. We are now planning to stay in Arizona for the winter, a good place for us and our work. As for RV'ng full time - after living together in motel rooms for almost two years - being together in a car, at work, and one room, the MH feels luxurious. When we were looking we really wanted to just use a chunk of the house money, saving some for a "real" house someplace. But the Class C's were too small - more confining we felt than a motel room in some ways. We settled on our Monaco. The price was a little more than we planned, but was in great shape, etc. Just as we were buying it my husband's health changed a little, so he can not drive for now. So I had to learn to drive it - BIG step for me. But I had no choice. We had bought it - what could I do. I am quite proud of myself with what I have done and learned. Anyway - my whole point is just go for it.

Our criteria was - a shower tall enough for hubb to stand upright in, a bed long enough for him to stretch out in, a kitchen that suited him - he's the full time cook. I needed to add the criteria of something that was light and bright. Our MH has lots of windows, and mirrors to reflect the light. However we already can see that a few more feet - 42 or 44' and a second slide out would be very nice. We sometimes miss a yard and garden, I miss my compost bin and favorite stores, but we'll have all that again someday. And we are having such a great adventure.

You will know when you find the right one. Good luck - it's really a great chapter for us beginning retirees. We aren't quite ready financially to stop working, our kids and family are all over the states plus one territory. This allows us to see people and see the country. We make enough to get us around, to give us our TV, our happy hour supplies, good food. And we enjoy having a different yard to look at every week, with the same home sweet home on the inside. So - go for it.....
Yep...I'm right there with ya! Thank you for taking the time to share.