Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #43

[QUOTE=llmrealestat;1286915]

In retrospect, if we had it to do all over again, we might consider one of the newer 5th wheels because of their floor plans, the lower cost, and the fact that when the coach goes in for service, we are out of our home. If we have to find a motel while work is being done (hasn't happened so far), we would have to find one that accepts pets.

We are in the 4th repair facility while on a 2 month trip. While we thought the 3rd facility had fixed the problem, apparently not. Since this is the 2nd time we've had to get a motel room, we've had the same conversation about getting a 5er instead of a MH. It is something to consider. However, we really do prefer a MH for the view while driving/riding and being able to stop somewhere convenient to potty & eat without having to get out.

By the way, we've had no problem finding a motel to take a pet. We've found that more and more places now accept them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I 've always been led to believe that one should try and use their current rv setup, if they find it acceptable, for 6-12 months if they want to try fulltiming. If after that time period you still have the itch, then make preperations to sell everything except what you will need and go for it. I agree the temptation to make the big jump up to a class A can be very tempting but trying out the full time experiance first seems to be more logical. If after the trial period is done and by chance it doesn't pan out as expected, you lose nothing but your time. Upgrading now and not having it pan out later could be a very expensive experiance. Another thing is if you were to trade your 5ver in for a mh now, you stand a good chance of possibley having some noticeable expenses up front before it goes on the road; sales taxe, full timers ins, tires, possible engine/chassis maintenance items. It can be a wonderful time in ones life but "it needs to be thought through carefully".
All really good points IMO, and it probably is a good idea for most folks to do a trial full time period in their current rig if practical... although, one aspect of "thinking through" this plan would have to include getting financing if necessary for a new rig once being full time. That can be an issue.

One caveat here is that it can present a bit of a "Catch 22" situation. If one feels that they'd like to go full time but they KNOW that their current rig will not be sufficient to meet their needs, the experience they gain while in a full timing trial period will have to be carefully evaluated. In other words, after six months if they feel they liked being on the road but felt too confined because they were running into each other at every turn... would a bigger rig be the answer or is an RV of any size going to be too small for them to live in? Still a good idea but in the end there may still have to be a leap of faith.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTE=Dance Chick;1287197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrealestat View Post

In retrospect, if we had it to do all over again, we might consider one of the newer 5th wheels because of their floor plans, the lower cost, and the fact that when the coach goes in for service, we are out of our home. If we have to find a motel while work is being done (hasn't happened so far), we would have to find one that accepts pets.

By the way, we've had no problem finding a motel to take a pet. We've found that more and more places now accept them.
Certainly is a point we have to think about. Not all pets are created equal in the eyes of establishments. With 2 German Shepherds we might not have such an easy time finding a pet friendly motel we would want to stay in.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi
All the posts prior to mine had great responses to consider, however my first option would be as one of the posts suggested, pack up the Trailer, lock up the house, make arrangements for mail and paying bills and then depart on a 2 month trip.

That would do a number of things not only to see if you like it but if you each can stand each other in close quarters all the time.

As far as the truck and the pets goes I would suggest a bigger truck like one with four doors to give your pets some room while travweling and there is absolutely nothing wrong with only driving 5 or 6 hour days. You need time to see everything and just driving 70 mph down the road to get to campground doesn't make any sense.

I have a motorhome and is my 3rd plus we both enjoy it , however we both need a house to return to. Wife likes yard and I like to puter in workshop.

The other kicker is when you sell your home and stuff and go fulltiming in an RV what happens when you can't drive anymore then you have to start all over and where is the money coming from. We took our motorhome to AK and back and took 3 months away from home which is the most both of us wanted to do and were glad to be back home but that is us.

Take some time and travel and then make your deision. Two weeks away from is not enough time to make this big decision to go fulltiming.

Good Luck on your decision and I hope my remarks helped.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #47

The point about the size or type of dog being a hindrance for finding a motel room is a good one. I hadn't thought about that. That might be the deciding factor between a 5er or MH.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC
Hi
All the posts prior to mine had great responses to consider, however my first option would be as one of the posts suggested, pack up the Trailer, lock up the house, make arrangements for mail and paying bills and then depart on a 2 month trip.

That would do a number of things not only to see if you like it but if you each can stand each other in close quarters all the time.

As far as the truck and the pets goes I would suggest a bigger truck like one with four doors to give your pets some room while travweling and there is absolutely nothing wrong with only driving 5 or 6 hour days. You need time to see everything and just driving 70 mph down the road to get to campground doesn't make any sense.

I have a motorhome and is my 3rd plus we both enjoy it , however we both need a house to return to. Wife likes yard and I like to puter in workshop.

The other kicker is when you sell your home and stuff and go fulltiming in an RV what happens when you can't drive anymore then you have to start all over and where is the money coming from. We took our motorhome to AK and back and took 3 months away from home which is the most both of us wanted to do and were glad to be back home but that is us.

Take some time and travel and then make your deision. Two weeks away from is not enough time to make this big decision to go fulltiming.

Good Luck on your decision and I hope my remarks helped.

Yes they did! Thank you!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being you have the 5er set up already I think if it were me I would hit the road with it and see if you even like the lifestyle before I plunk a ton of money into a DP. I know a lot of people that travel with 5er's and love them. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi

The other kicker is when you sell your home and stuff and go fulltiming in an RV what happens when you can't drive anymore then you have to start all over and where is the money coming from. :
At least in our case, the money came from the account where we put the money when we sold our house to go full time a few years earlier.

The timing worked well for us because we had recently retired and were in the "down sizing mindset" anyway. Going from a big stick house to an RV full time is a great way to down size.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

At least in our case, the money came from the account where we put the money when we sold our house to go full time a few years earlier.

The timing worked well for us because we had recently retired and were in the "down sizing mindset" anyway. Going from a big stick house to an RV full time is a great way to down size.

Rick
That's what I thought. Spoke to our 19 yr old son about responsibility and have decided to take everyone's advice and slow way down! We will plan a trip (yeah !!!), a long one and leave son at home to look after things. In the meantime start selling "stuff" and downsizing. Funny all the things we "think" we need. :-) if all goes well, maybe by Christmas we'll have decided things once and for all.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal
Being you have the 5er set up already I think if it were me I would hit the road with it and see if you even like the lifestyle before I plunk a ton of money into a DP. I know a lot of people that travel with 5er's and love them. JMHO
Funny how we got a "big" one until we put 2 people, 2 dogs, and a long trip under our belt. :-)
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
We spent two months in Colorado in our MH and were glad to get back home! Take your time and see what works best for you.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
I HAVE READ OTHER RV'ERS ON HERE TELLING TO RENT FIRST SO IF THAT IS POSSIBLE YOU MIGHT WANT TO THINK ABOUT THAT JUST SAYING. papaw.1
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #55
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeane View Post
You might want to look at Foretravel, and Newmar. However there is no such thing as a M/H that does not have problems from time to time. Being as you already have the 5th wheel and truck you may want to try living in that for a while, before going all in. The deprecation and maintence cost will be far less than a diesel pusher, and more useable space.
Newmar more stuff for the buck
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #56

I think you are getting good advice. I have only one thing to add about shopping for an RV: http://rv.org/
While this organization has it critics, it's the closest thing I know of for objective comparisons. I thought it was money well spent when we went through this process 11 years ago. BTW, I have no affiliation with them.
JohnFitz is offline   Reply With Quote