Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
As for the front diesel engine noise, I recommend the regular use of DieselKleen additive for quieting the injector noise due to the poor lubricity of Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel. Whenever I forgot to use it on my '06 Ram I would wonder if something was wrong with my engine because it was so much noisier, until I remembered that I hadn't used the additive... I know it may not address all of your noise issues, but every little bit helps.

youre right every little bit helps. Where would I find DieselKleen? Truck stops? Camping World?
rimfire7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #16

Shop around and compare shop rates. I'd pick an RV inspector over Freightliner, their shop rates are high and they need the work. Some of the heavy truck repair shops are a good option. Cummin's is very expensive also on their shop rates, the one near me is now up to $145 per hour. You'll soon find the parts are pretty cheap, the labor is what kills ya. If you didn't get an owners manual that would be one of the first things on my list to get. One thing I've learned, not all shops are the same, not all the mechanics know what they're doing and some have no clue at all. We had at least 6 shops tell us we had a system that could never be fixed, Cummin's was one of the shops, well, the system is fixed, just had to find the right shop with the right techs. Sometimes you have little choice on shops, we choose RV dealers/service centers as a last resort.
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 PM   #17

You can find Power Service Diesel Kleen at any auto parts store, truck stops or Amazon just to name a few. I use the amount recommended on the directions, not the front label "up to" amount.

Power Service 3025 +Cetane Boost Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive - 32 oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YYIF6Y..._AFiICbMHQJTT5
HaRVey 74.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #18

Hey Beth,

I had a friend once, long time ago named Beth......anyways

Sorry...

Posts like this one—to me—are exhausting. Nothing personal.

But I understand you're new and it's OK.

You really should post one question at a time. You will get a lot more mileage out of your post and focused answers.

Good luck to ya.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #19

Just popping into the thread as I'm the aforementioned fiance. The RV (named FN-2187) is over at our local Freightliner for an initial fluid change and to have them check why the ABS light's on. Hopefully that's as simple as a dirty tone ring, but we'll see.

As someone noted, I agree that it's best to do upgrades and all one at a time once the rig is up to snuff mechanically. We've got a list and will be getting them done, in order, before we start our road-tripping this year - and since that includes a trip to Indiana for Easter, heading to Moab in May, and then Ouray and other parts west in August (that's the wedding and all), we should be getting plenty of miles in soon.

Thanks for all of the advice!
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the DOT info on the tires. Carry a mounted spare tire. Sign up with CoachNet ERS or other company of your choice.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Any 2008 RV should already have smoke, LP and CO detectors. Whether they are in working condition is a separate question. If they are the originals, replacing them is probably a good idea since their sensors get quirky after 5-7 years.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read an article, probably on here, years ago.....concerning CO detectors. It said the factory installed and some aftermarket hard wired units were OK, just barely. They don't sound off until a relatively high level is detected. Could be hours. You are not dead....but getting there.

We bought a battery powered $50.00 + unit years ago that sounds off at a very low level to supplement our hardwired one. Neither one has ever sounded off.

Can't tell if you have an inverter/charger. If you plan on running your generator a lot......take proper precautions. Including watching out for adjacent RV running their generators...or yours with windows open or incoming air fans, etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Rimfire (Beth) and ronphrys (Ron??) --

First, welcome to the forum and RV ownership. Many fun adventures await you. From you original post you purchased your GS in Texas -- correct? Did you have a pre-purchased inspection performed to learn of any problems the previous owner needs to address before you took possession? If you may have a higher than "normal" amount of maintenance items to take care of during your first few months of ownership. Some thoughts on initial items to check and correct as necessary:

1) All fluids -- engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, differential fluid, oil in front wheel bearings, generator oil and coolant, etc. If there is no record of previous owners inspecting / changing fluids at proper intervals, then recommend changing all of those fluids
2) As mentioned, check age of the tires. If over seven years old, replace them. RV tires typically 'age out' before they wear out.
3) Check sealants around roof openings (refrigerator flue, sewer vents, ceiling vents, etc). If cracked, remove old sealant and install new.
4) Check the "house" and "engine" batteries condition and age. If batteries are low on water, bulging, or more than five years olds their remaining life is likely short and replacement should be considered.
5) Check gaskets on slide-out(s) to assure they are in good condition. Replace if worn, cracked or missing.
6) Check functionality of all appliances -- range, refrigerator, furnace, roof air conditioners, hot water heater, etc. Repair/replace as needed.
7) Does generator operate properly?

The above are the "essentials" to complete now and could become quite expensive if they all needed repair. RV shops and RV mobile mechanics all charge $135 - $150 per hour labor fees in the greater a Houston and Dallas areas.

The "nice to have" upgrades happen when they are affordable e.g. new televisions, add satellite dish, new seating (or reupholster), new mattress, new carpet, etc. The forum is very good at providing ideas / guidance anytime so don't hesitate to ask!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Hey Beth,

I had a friend once, long time ago named Beth......anyways

Sorry...

Posts like this one—to me—are exhausting. Nothing personal.

But I understand you're new and it's OK.

You really should post one question at a time. You will get a lot more mileage out of your post and focused answers.

Good luck to ya.

no problem, you are probably right. thanks.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Check the DOT info on the tires. Carry a mounted spare tire. Sign up with CoachNet ERS or other company of your choice.

I keep saying WE NEED A SPARE! I find it interesting that there isn't one there now. Do most RV's have a special place for a spare? We have a garage so we could keep it there I suppose.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Any 2008 RV should already have smoke, LP and CO detectors. Whether they are in working condition is a separate question. If they are the originals, replacing them is probably a good idea since their sensors get quirky after 5-7 years.

The rv had them at one time, a lot of them are not attached to their brackets. The fire extinguisher is expired and is reading empty. Those need to be fixed asap.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagnaml View Post
Rimfire (Beth) and ronphrys (Ron??) --

First, welcome to the forum and RV ownership. Many fun adventures await you. From you original post you purchased your GS in Texas -- correct? Did you have a pre-purchased inspection performed to learn of any problems the previous owner needs to address before you took possession? If you may have a higher than "normal" amount of maintenance items to take care of during your first few months of ownership. Some thoughts on initial items to check and correct as necessary:

1) All fluids -- engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, differential fluid, oil in front wheel bearings, generator oil and coolant, etc. If there is no record of previous owners inspecting / changing fluids at proper intervals, then recommend changing all of those fluids
2) As mentioned, check age of the tires. If over seven years old, replace them. RV tires typically 'age out' before they wear out.
3) Check sealants around roof openings (refrigerator flue, sewer vents, ceiling vents, etc). If cracked, remove old sealant and install new.
4) Check the "house" and "engine" batteries condition and age. If batteries are low on water, bulging, or more than five years olds their remaining life is likely short and replacement should be considered.
5) Check gaskets on slide-out(s) to assure they are in good condition. Replace if worn, cracked or missing.
6) Check functionality of all appliances -- range, refrigerator, furnace, roof air conditioners, hot water heater, etc. Repair/replace as needed.
7) Does generator operate properly?

The above are the "essentials" to complete now and could become quite expensive if they all needed repair. RV shops and RV mobile mechanics all charge $135 - $150 per hour labor fees in the greater a Houston and Dallas areas.

The "nice to have" upgrades happen when they are affordable e.g. new televisions, add satellite dish, new seating (or reupholster), new mattress, new carpet, etc. The forum is very good at providing ideas / guidance anytime so don't hesitate to ask!

Thanks! No inspection, I'm not sure why we didn't think of doing one but we asked the Freightliner guys to do one. I think there are some fluids we need to ask them to change that you mentioned. Haven't checked the batteries yet but a few others mentioned this is important so we will check them asap if the FL guys don't. I think I overheard someone say most of them had 2014 on them. Tires a around 2 yo I think. So far the generator works just fine and its getting an oil change too. We have a bad gasket on the slideout and there is water damage from it that we will fix at some point. The wood is disintegrating from behind the trim. It appears to have been fixed once already - the columns on either side do not match up, one is different and does not match the interior. Floor is squishy too.

There is an issue with the furnace and AC and its the same problem so it makes me think it is the thermostats. If we put set a temp the ac/heat will shut off when the temp is achieved but will not turn back on when it drops above/below that set temp. First night in Texas we got really hot because the ac shut off in the middle of the night and never came on, the next night we were somewhere and it was chilly and I froze because the heat turned off and never came back on. That needs to be fixed asap, our sleeping area is a tiny box and it can get hot up there. Any thoughts?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #28

As Beth mentions, we are having the fluids changed out now - hopefully, they'll be done with that today. We did personally inspect the rig, looking at all sorts of things. I was up on the roof, in the engine bay, under it, etc. Beth was inside looking at all of the interior stuff and all. So, not a professional inspection, but enough to know that just about everything works and to identify the issues that we've put up so far.

First set up tasks that are going on:
  1. Fluids change - right now it's the engine oil, transmission, and generator.
  2. We do have an ABS light that's on, so that's getting looked at, too. Going along with that is a general chassis inspection.
  3. CO2 detectors and fire extinguishers will be ordered ASAP. I'm just waiting to place a single larger order with the Amazons rather than placing several small ones.
  4. The seams on the roof didn't look horrible, but I'm purchasing some Eternabond tape to help seal them up a bit better, along with the one small tear in the roofing material.
  5. The stereo is getting replaced - right now it's a non-CD/Bluetooth unit that plays DVDs and gets AM/FM radio. And by gets AM/FM, I mean it technically should be capable, but the original owner somehow lost the connection for the antenna. No bueno, that.
  6. I'm also ordering a cover for it, Garmin RV GPS, and a few other goodies.
  7. Prep for towing will include a Blue Ox bar and I'm looking at the supplemental braking systems for the toad. There's one up for sale here that I'm hoping I hear back on.
  8. I'll be looking at all of the lights, too. A few have broken lenses or don't work. The headlights are a bit foggy, so I'll polish out their lenses and replace them with LED units. The others will either get R&R'd or fixed, as warranted. Eventually, I'll probably replace all of them with LED units, both inside and out.
  9. The batteries are newer and appear to be functioning properly, so I'm just going to keep an eye on them. They do appear to be sealed units, too.
  10. There's a bunch of other stuff, too - mostly minor. Awning motor doesn't seem to work smoothly (could just be lubrication), checking/fixing any non-working fixtures, etc. Nothing that'll prevent us from getting on the road this year, though.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote