Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #1

2 amp parasitic current

1998 Ford F53 Chassis Fleetwood Southwind Storm

I am noticing a 2 amp current whenever I switch on the house batteries and EVERYTHING is in off position. Not hooked up to shore power. Clamp style amp meter shows 2 amps on house batteries and Zero amps on Chassis battery.

Much larger than a parasitic current flow. This is 24 watts. It will completely drain my 400 Ah battery bank in about 8 days without support.

What could this be? I'm befuddled about where to start looking and ... bigger problem ... how?
GonzoRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn off the breakers one at a time and watch for the reading to change. It might be the total of several parasite items.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Turn off the breakers one at a time and watch for the reading to change. It might be the total of several parasite items.
CO monitor/alarm and or OTA TV antenna amplifier?
Old 08-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #4

24 watts isnt much. Monaco used a 100 watt solar panel just to keep the 2 chassis batteries topped off.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #5

The draw may be the house disconnect solenoid.
If its not a latching type, it takes power to hold it on.

If the house disconnect is a on off switch, that's a system that needs power to stay on.

If its a momentary switch, that usually controls a latching solenoid.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane detector is supposed to be powered at all times. Could be a constant draw. Also on some propane detectors they had a solenoid activated propane shutoff at the tank supply line. It may have a draw.

Any chance you have storage compartments with switched lights inside? Maybe one left on.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #7

What is the parasitic current with the switch off. That will give us a baseline. Then with the switch on, remove the fuses one by one and see what happens to the current as noted above.

On my newish Thor Axis the parasitic current is 0.7 amps. This is made up of: Girard water heater (0.2 amps and can be reduced to zero by turning off outside switch), CO detector, Winegard antennae (no switch) and most is probably the Android based BMPro control panel.

2 amps does sound unreasonable.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoRock View Post

I am noticing a 2 amp current whenever I switch on the house batteries and EVERYTHING is in off position. Not hooked up to shore power. Clamp style amp meter shows 2 amps on house batteries and Zero amps on Chassis battery.

Much larger than a parasitic current flow. This is 24 watts. It will completely drain my 400 Ah battery bank in about 8 days without support.

What could this be? I'm befuddled about where to start looking and ... bigger problem ... how?
Do you have any incandescent lighting?
2 amps is about one light bulb, maybe a compartment light?

If it's isn't lighting then the 2 amps may be cumulative, you may have more than one vampire load.

Start pulling the 12 volt fuses, one at a time. When the current changes downward then you've found a load. If it's still nonzero then leave that fuse out and keep going. When it is zero then you've found the last one.
Then go back and start tracing out what each pulled fuse powers.

Mike
Old 08-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
My 1998 Fleetwood does not have any 12 volt breakers. I am considering pulling the coach 12 volt fuses one at a time and seeing what happens.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
CO monitor/alarm and or OTA TV antenna amplifier?
My CO Monitor is battery powered.
Does the OTA TV antenna amplifier run on 12 volts? If so I might chase down that circuit as we do not ever raise the very old-school TV antenna.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The draw may be the house disconnect solenoid.
If its not a latching type, it takes power to hold it on.

If the house disconnect is a on off switch, that's a system that needs power to stay on.

If its a momentary switch, that usually controls a latching solenoid.
Yes... it's a momentary switch. The is OEM standard on this coach.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoRock View Post

That doesn't sound excessive, likely death by a thousand cuts. If you plan on leaving your coach disconnected from power for more then a day then you should either physically disconnect the house batteries, or if possible install a battery disconnect switch.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #13

Mine is 6 amps. '16 Bounder. Radio memory, CO det, Smoke det, a couple solenoids, and the list goes on....
Old 08-08-2022, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Propane detector is supposed to be powered at all times. Could be a constant draw. Also on some propane detectors they had a solenoid activated propane shutoff at the tank supply line. It may have a draw.

Any chance you have storage compartments with switched lights inside? Maybe one left on.
The op's CCI 7719 propane detector, when active and holding the solenoid open, draws 0.168 amps. So that's not his issue.

Richard