Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
cvd

20 Year Preventive Maintenance?

My coach has hit the 20-year mark (I've had it for 14 years). To keep it reliable, do I need to change every coolant, fuel, and air hose? Air bags? All are original (engine belts were changed about 10 yrs. ago).

The coach is on a 1999 Freightliner XC chassis, ISB engine, MT 643 trans. Only 75k miles (I know, irrelevant for rubber degradation). When not being used regularly, I pull it out of storage every 6 – 8 weeks and take it on a 20 -25 mile “exercise” trip – it hasn’t sat for extreme periods of time.
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

I share with you a 1998 XC chassis with a 5.9 engine. 135,000 miles so far.
IMHO changing the fluids: cooling, trans, engine, generator, surp belt, shocks
is a good practice. Not so much on hoses since they will tend to show problems themselves. Have had issues which we then repaired at that time. Have worked hard to keep the body in good shape as well as all running equipment.
Really do like the size and layout of the coach.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you are being extremely proactive asking the question and considering the opinions of others. In my opinion you’ve had the coach for a long time so you know it inside and out. I believe I would attack the question with probabilities, cost, along with a visual inspection. I would tend to replace any and all hoses and belts that show any wear and tear. Minimal expense. As the price went up and after a visual inspection, I would let that be my guide. I must say congrats on 14 years of ownership. Can only imagine the incredible memories made with it
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #4

If you decide to change coolant, change ALL hoses and install new thermostat at the same time; otherwise when a hose fails, coolant is lost. This repeats every time an old hose fails.
I'm in the same position.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:22 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If you decide to change coolant, change ALL hoses and install new thermostat at the same time; otherwise when a hose fails, coolant is lost. This repeats every time an old hose fails.
I'm in the same position.
Great advice.
We too are in the same position.
Good frequent visuals are important and I do them often.
Following this thread for sure.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Have a mechanic you trust check it out for you, and try to break it out to do over the next few years.

Like rad hoses, thermostat, water pump ,belts and bearings coolant, heater core?

Then air bags, shocks ,slack adjusters check air lines ,air dryer filter tie rods, ball joints, sway bar links and bushings

Trans fluid and filters, power steering fluid change

Tires

Best of luck
Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #7

20 year preventive maintenance

I would think that where you start depends on where you have been with your maintenance. Are you up to date with filters and fluid changes? In the years of ownership, what has broken or worn out and replaced?

It may be useful to itemize various tasks and hit them in order. Do you have manuals for different systems and components? Figure out and list things to do. A truck with a house on it is daunting, after all these years, yours should be an old friend.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #8

I'm one of them guys that follows the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Do a diligent check of your RV annually and before any major trips. If it looks sound your good to go. But then again, I don't mind fixing things on the road if I need to.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm right there with you. I've kept up with issues as they have presented themselves. However, I recognize that somethings that wear out are not best addressed on the road. That said, I bought a new set of four air springs and carried them in the basement for about six months with the thought that if one failed it would be easy to find a shop to replace it if I already had the correct replacement. With lots of travel plans for October through December I decided not to put it off any longer and changed them all. Before the summer 2020 travel season I'm seriously considering a wholesale replacement of hoses, thermostat, block heater and coolant. I'll follow this thread and see if there's anything else I should put on my radar.
DKStall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #10

If you guys were changing coolant hoses and flushing the system, would you change the water pump as well? (after 17 years)
ASU777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSBill View Post
If you guys were changing coolant hoses and flushing the system, would you change the water pump as well? (after 17 years)
Water pump ?
Personally No
If its not leaking its a good one.

I have seen new ones only last a year or two.

I flushed and replaced, updated coolant 8 years ago.

I change coolant filter annually.

But never changed a radiator hose yet.
Or pump. Or thermostat, yet.

99 ISM 500hp Cummins
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #12

If your rv has the vp44 injection pump, does it still have the original lift pump. Mine went on my rv, and took the injection pump with it. The lift pump is cheap. The vp44, not so much. The lift pump is famous for wrecking the more expensive pump. I replaced the lift pump with a FASS pump set up. Since I had to change both of my fuel pumps, I pulled my rad to inspect it, and the CAC. I ended up replacing the rad. The CAC was fine, and just got a good cleaning. I replaced the water pump, belt tensioner, and serpentine belt while the rad was out. My oil pan had a pin hole in it, so we replaced it as well. We also replaced most of the rad lines, and tranny lines. I live in Ontario, so maybe mine saw a little more corrosion than perhaps yours has. I had one steel cross over rad tube that went from the motor to the tranny cooler that was pretty rusty. It cost $875 Cdn to buy. I could only locate two of them in North America. Rust is the enemy. The less rust you see under there, the better.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:18 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No on water pump as long as last 3 coolant samples are clean. But I would add a Serpentine belt tensioner to the PM list.

Tags
maintenance, vent