RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #1

2000 Country Coach Affinity VS 2002 Tiffin Zephyr

We're looking at a 2000 Country Coach Affinity and a 2002 Tiffin Zephyr

Both have tag axles, onan quiet diesel generators, 3 roof airs, 2 slides, both around 75,000 miles. The living room slide in the Zephyr is bigger. The Zephyr has 500 hp and the Affinity has 455. The Zephyr is on a Spartan Chassis with IFS and the affinity is on a Dynomax chassis with IFS.

Which one is made better? Which one is higher quality? Which one would you buy?
TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I would take the Affinity
Old 10-02-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

Floor plan is the best way. They are both quality coaches. Which one do you prefer?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Three words, FLOORPLAN, FLOORPLAN and FLOORPLAN.

If you are not happy with the floor plan, you won’t be happy with anything else about the coach, either. That MUST be at the top of your list.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
hrw

I would go Affinity. Have never owned either one. Better quality in cc. On the other hand, get the floor plan you like.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

Both have good reputations. Which one do you like the best? Which one has maintenance records? Which one looks like it's been taken care of? Which one is listed with a private seller that can tell you a little about the history.

You probably like the layout of one over the other. Everything else being equal, I would probably pick that one. But everything is never equal. Dig a little deeper and satisfy yourself that you picked the right one.

After that get a chassis inspection and house inspection especially on these older units. If you do you will probably get the inspection costs back in seller paid repairs or a renegotiated price. I did!
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Does the Affinity have a Detroit engine?
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Does the Affinity have a Detroit engine?
Cat C12 on the Affinity
TurboZinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #9

Affinity in a heart beat. While you may not agree with NADA's pricing, they clearly see more dollar value in the Affinity:

2002 TIFFIN ZEPHYR

List = $305,550
Avg Retail = $72,350

2000 COUNTRY COACH AFFINITY

List = $448,200
Avg Retail = $83,900
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The Affinity is definitely a higher end coach than the Zephyr, but it is also 2 years older. I would lean towards the Affinity.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #11

Both are well thought of coaches, basically at the top of the manufactures model chain.

Can't go wrong with either of the engines. The C-12 in the CC and I assume the ISM500 in the Tiffen - both are very late in the engine model series run, so very mature. The 02 ISM, should before the EGR was added, so that is good too.

IMO, the Country Coach Affinity of the era, is one of the top quality built coaches of all time. Attention to detail, higher quality materials and components. Tiffen's top model is also well built - but I do not believe to the same level as the Affinity.

As noted, the ISM500 has 500HP vs 455HP in the Affinity. I bet, and definitely fact check this, that the Affinity will be a heavier coach then the Tiffen. So the power to weight ratio should be better in Tiffen. Both should have great Compression Jake Brakes, with strong Braking Horsepower. As neither one will be a 'Pocket Rocket' - I'd suspect that even the heavier Affinity with the C12, would have more then sufficient power for most usages. (If pulling a heavy double stacker trailer, well, then that extra HP from the ISM might make a difference. But normal traveling with normal toads, either coach will move you down the road, and over the mountains, with ease.)

All that being said, I agree with other comments. Pick the interior you like the best, make sure all of the maintenance has been taken care of properly - and let those two factors guide your decision. Both coaches, with proper care, will serve you well for years ahead. Tiffen is still in business. Technically CC is too. But as a CC owner, I can assure you that their is never any real problem by CC being somewhat of an orphan manufacturer, as far as parts and or repairs.

Both have very active and 'proud' owner's, so if you're into wanting to do club like gatherings, either one will have lots of like minded owner's to have a blast with. And both should have active Owner Forum participation, so you can post questions to get help. (I know for sure that the CC Owner's all pull together to help each other as needed. Imagine Tiffen's owners do this too.)

Finally. Both coaches are worth platforms to invest funds in over the year, to remodel and update and refresh the interiors. I call this level of coaches 'Ground foundations, to build/invest into.'

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, peak torque on the RV version C12 Cat is 1650 ft lbs. That's 100 more than the 500hp ISM. The Cat also has a very high off idle torque (called clutch release torque). I would think the Affinity may even outrun the Zephyr depending on conditions.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #13

Spartan had ball joint issues.
I think the Dynomax is a better chassis built specifically for the coach by the coach manufacture.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Actually, peak torque on the RV version C12 Cat is 1650 ft lbs. That's 100 more than the 500hp ISM. The Cat also has a very high off idle torque (called clutch release torque). I would think the Affinity may even outrun the Zephyr depending on conditions.
Thanks Vito. Appreciate you letting the OP know how well the C12 should perform. Never had either of these engines, but they were amongst my preffered engines when shopping.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
country coach, tiffin