Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #1

2000 Discovery 38 ft. RV Help!!

I have been looking into buying an RV for summer trips and Game Day Auburn Football Games with the family. I like the layout of it and from the pictures it look to be in good shape but pictures dont mean anything. It has a 300 Cummings with 110k, a slide out. I have never own and have no clue what to look for when I look at it (common problems, or what not)on Saturday morning. If anyone has own one of these or knows about them all info would help so I can be as educated as possible. He is asking 38k for it. Thanks for your help.
Mpucillo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
There are previous threads on what to look for in used MH's. This one should be no different on what to look for. Go to "search" on used MH's and you'll find numerous threads on everything to search for from tires on up to the A/C's. You might want to have an expert look at it and see if everything is in working order. The mileage doesn't scare me as long as the engine has been taken care of. If the floor plan suits your needs then a discovery process on the Discovery is all that's left (no pun intended)....Good Luck!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

The search feature will find you a wealth of info. Also browsing the forum sections as applicable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My parents in CA bought a RV in Florida. They put half of purchase price down in an escrow account to be released with cash balance to the seller after full disclosure of RV is verified by purchaser. They bought it and had no regrets.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #5

That's for the sudjustion on the search function I have been reading a lot on things to look for. The main reason I started this post to see what people think about this particular RV. I figured is some if you owned it in the past you would have better insight on if it is a good product or known issues people have had. Thanks for the help.
Mpucillo79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently sold a 2000 Discovery 37' which is probably what you are looking at. Mine had a 270 HP Cummins and had two slides. I had a lot of fun with it but I had a lot of problems also. I bought it used with 75,000 on it. I drove it clear across country with it overheating every step of the way. When I got it back to Reno, I ended up putting about $6,000 into it over the following year plus a whole lot of elbow grease and hours. Finally got it to a point where I could re-sell it and I did. If you're buying a coach to just take to the games and tailgate on weekends, you may be OK, but I would have a professional check it out unless you know someone who is very well experienced with diesel motorhomes.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #7

I have an 02' discovery that we got two years ago. Love it and have had no mechanical issues. Mine has the 330 cat engine and the cummins is just as reliable. If still interested in coach, have a good inspection done by an rv inspector. Fleetwood builds a quality coach for the money and fl builds a great chassis. My discovery has never overheated. Just need to keep rear radiator clean.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #8

Bought our37v 2 years ago. I have done the cross country thing. I live on a mountain that I pull every time I bring the coach home. Never ever has overheated as described in a post above. It's a great coach. No major problems. The 300 Cummings is a great engine with good fuel mileage. I just waxed her yesterday. Heading back out tomorrow.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
They didn't have a 38' in 2000. Two models were 37' 9".
They were called 37'
Attached is a Flyer with spec & info on a 2000 D.
They had 2 ISB engines that year. A 275 & a 300 HP
Both were 660 ft lb torque
NADA Average Retail is 38K Low 32K

Running hot for them was caused by not extending the slobber tube and not cleaning the CAC/Rad. Which is easy to do.

If you get it, check out the Discovery Owners where you can get a lot of support.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000DiscoveryFlyer.pdf (502.1 KB, 29 views)
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote