Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #1

2000 Discovery 5.9L Burst of Steam

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery (5.9L Cummins, Freightliner). I was idling in the driveway unloading into the house for about 15min. When I sat in the drivers chair to back it into its parking spot I noticed the A/C wasn’t blowing cold.

Just as get it backed into its spot my son yells that he sees smoke from the engine. I shut it down and go pop the engine hatch. It’s high pressure steam but I can’t see the source. It abruptly stopped like pressure relief valve closed. The coolant was normal in the reservoir and engine temp was on the low side of normal.

We opened the cover below the bed and everything looked normal. Nothing seemed to be over heating. We couldn’t see anything wet other than a small spray on the engine cover that felt oily but was clear fluid and only a very small amount. The A/C hoses from the compressor had a small section that had the same oily feel.

Any idea what the high pressure steam was and could the small amount of Freon oil be related?

The unit has been fully serviced and checked out by the dealer 4 weeks ago during the purchase. I’m new to Diesel Pushers but have owned diesel trucks pulling 5th wheels for decades.
UA888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #2

Sure sounds like your A/C hose sprung a leak. The oily residue is probably oil from the A/C hoses as a heavy duty compressor has a bunch of oil in it. The steam thing though? Freon maybe? Did it have a sort of unpleasant smell?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"When I sat in the drivers chair to back it into its parking spot I noticed the A/C wasn’t blowing cold."

This is your clue! You probably blew a A/C line, and the so called steam, was the Freon escaping the system! The oily residue is your second clue!
Time for a A/C service! Rail!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

I agree with the others. It sounds like a A/C freon line popped! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. I had to go out of town for a few weeks and just returned today.

It looks like a busted AC line for sure.

Thanks,
Mike
UA888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, discovery