Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2000 national tropical fuel line to generator

It would appear there is a leak in the fuel line from the gas tank to the generator on my mh. Is it necessary to drop the fuel tank to replace this fuel line?
I disconnected the fuel line from the generator and dropped a hose in a gas can and the generator ran fine so I know the fuel filter is okay. There is either a leak or clog in the fuel line.
thanks
Charles
charlespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #2

Is this a DP with the gennie in the back and the tank in the front? You said gas, but being a generic term and there are gas and diesel tropicals......

If the fuel lines go thru the basement then you are in for a world of pain.

I had a diesel smell in the basement for months. Last november at the racetrack fuel began pouring off the top of the tank. turns out that the manufacturer had installed gas compatible lines to and from the gennie and for the return line from the main engine. The main line to the engine was quality stuff.

The tank had to be dropped, but the techs could only replace the lines back to the basement bulkhead, where they had to put in splices. That was $1200, and I've had a slight front bag leak ever since (you have to take the front suspension off to get the tank out).

The lines were slowly seeping diesel into the bundles that ran down both sides of the frame. There was no way to get enough working room to replace the stuff without removing an access panel and dropping the water tank out the bottom. I ran two pieces of 1.25" heavy wall EMT underneath the coach and ran new lines through the conduit. I cut the old ones and blew them out with compressed air. The conduit will keep road debris from tearing off the new lines and keep the installation tidy - other wise they would sag as he temperature changes. I also considered metal line, but I live out in the boonies, and metal would have required a lot of extra ordering and delivery.

I could not pull out the old lines, nor clean the diesel off, which has blistered my hydraulic lines, so it's only a matter of time before I have to drop that water tank and re-do the whole shebang (and this time I'll use metal). Rubber line - about 90' altogether, was $250!!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is gas. The tank is in the back and so is the gen. but it fuel would appear the fuel line is behind the frame. Someone suggested cutting through the floor. I will check and see where the line goes into the tank. If it is under the bed, this will be an option. Should serve for future replacement of fuel pump if ever needed.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlespool View Post
Mine is gas. The tank is in the back and so is the gen. but it fuel would appear the fuel line is behind the frame. Someone suggested cutting through the floor. I will check and see where the line goes into the tank. If it is under the bed, this will be an option. Should serve for future replacement of fuel pump if ever needed.
Hello fellow Arkansas'ian (I made a new word !) You probably figure, IF you decide to go the "hole in the floor route" , like I wanted to on ours, (totally different from yours I'm sure), make sure from underneath there is nothing, such as a cross member blocking the pump/sending unit from coming up through that hole in the floor. The pump (if anything like our 95 chevy) has hard lines from the top of the tank to the bottom of the pump, so it won't bend at all. It had to come that far straight up...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmmmm I am beginning to think I need to have a professional do this. Thanks everyone for your comments.
Charles
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a similar issue with a 92 Allegro class A. I have posted what I did on a couple of forums. The easiest and safest way to replace the rubber line on top of the tank is to drop the tank straight down. Lucky for me I have a motorcycle/atv jack/lift that is perfect for this type of job. I placed a couple of 2x6s across the platform on the jack for additional stability and then ran two strap lines to secure the tank to the jack. Unbolted the straps holding tank in place (after disconnecting what I could reach) and lowered the tank. Replacing the 2 foot section of rubber hose was a breeze then and then lift the tank right back into place and replaced the bolts after making the appropriate connections. The hardest part of the job was getting the fill line connected again due to space and length of the hose. Once I had everything set up it took less than 30 minutes from unbolting to bolting. Check to see if you have a friend with a motorcycle/atv lift or check to see if someone rents one in your area. IMHO opinion this is the better course than cutting a hole in your floor. There is too much of a chance of cutting something that might regret later.

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are right. I am afraid of doing more damage than good by cutting through the floor. I have a friend here in town who tells me he can do what you said. We will do that tomorrow morning.
Thanks for all the feedback
Charles
Old 09-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drop the tank. I did it. I only had to lower it a little, then lower on one side and was able to reach my generator fuel nipple. Only had about 10 gallons in it. When it tilts, hang on, all the fuel rushes to one side. I replaced the entire fuel line with new rubber fuel line. The hard line had rust spots on it. Good luck.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My tank is being dropped today to replace the fuel line. Thanks to everyone for the feedback
Charles
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a picture of dropping the tank with a motorcycle jack. In this case I did not need to use the 2x6s and straps due to very little fuel in the tank.

Glad to hear that your problem has been solved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2983932722.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	26723  

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator, national