Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #1

I'm looking at one of these tomorrow. Is there anything I should know? Does anyone know why they quit making these coaches in 2002?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
ehackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #2

I'm looking at one of these tomorrow. Is there anything I should know? Does anyone know why they quit making these coaches in 2002?

Thanks in advance,

Hack
--//--
ehackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:10 AM   #3

Hack, Here's the good and the bad......

We purchased our 2000 Sea View four years ago (floor plan 8341, 34 ft. with living room and bedroom slides) with 16,000 miles on it. We travel approximately 8-9 mos. a year and it now has 51,000. Basically, we like the coach and interior decor and space. We find it has more interior storage than the average 34-ft. MH. The dinette booth has large drawers. It has both a convection/microwave and a propane oven. My DW has been very pleased with the interior, but would be happier with a larger Cu. ft. refrigerator.

National dropped the Sea View model which is now called the Sea Breeze LX. It's just an upgrade from the regular Sea Breeze. Same floor plan, etc.

Some of the disappointments are: the coach leans to the right passenger side about 2 inches. I always have to carry wooden blocks to compensate for this. (On a flat concrete surface, measure from the side molding to the ground, front and back to see if there is a difference.) Some Sea View owners we have talked to told us National either put in an extra spring leaf or a spacer for them. National first agreed to do this for us, and then reniged and said we would have to pay 50% of the cost. The bedroom slide sheared a pin, the kitchen slide sheared three teeth off the gear box. I had to repair both rear jacks due to leakage.. repair kit about $90 from Power Gear if you do it yourself. Stress crack in the passenger side windshield from top to bottom. I talked with a large windshield mfg and was told that from 1999 thru 2001 National had a problem with windshield stress cracks. He said if it hasn't cracked yet, it will. A friend of ours has a '99 Sea View and we were at an old car meet with him, and his pass. side not only cracked but he had the bottom taped with duct tape because it was falling out. Be sure to check the tires to see if they have been replaced. If not, you will need a new set, regardless of the tread. The V-10 is the first small V-10 and it doesn't have a lot of torque for going up and down even the smallest hills. The trans. is constantly shifting and unfortunately we hardly ever use cruise control. It has a Generac genrator that does an adequate job, but is louder and vibrates more than an Onan. Not all of these problems are National's fault, but from the components they purchase. (quality???)

We are now looking for a diesel-pusher and National is way down on our list. Check the NADA book and the value should be somewhere between $38,000 to $45,000. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. (lgstx@earthlink.net) Lots of luck.
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #4

We have had a 2000 Sea View for about 4 years. We purchased it used - we like it a lot. It is the model 8340 (one lr slide). Lots of storage space and so far, very reliable. The V10 doesn't have a lot of torque for hill climbing, as mentioned above, but runs very well. a Banks system would probably help. We have had almost no problems, and have 46K miles on it, and we have added 15K of those. We like the interior a lot. It has an excellent setup in the water compartment. Very easy to winterize, and very simple to fill the tank, etc. We don't seem to have the problem with windshield cracks, although we had to replace the driver's side due to a rock. Overall, we are VERY happy after 4 years.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #5

The V-10 is the first small V-10 and it doesn't have a lot of torque for going up and down even the smallest hills.[/quote]

Check the VIN, if the 9th digit is a "Y" then you have the 310HP v10.

We have a 2000 coach and it has the higher hp engine.

Good luck, Jim

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #6

I purchased a 2000 31 foot Sea View new in 2000 with the larger hp V10. Sold it this year to purchase a new Allegro Bay FRED.

Had excellent service with the Sea View. I had far less problems with National then I had with the new purchases of Fleetwood and Tiffin MH's. The Sea View was my second new National produce and I would definitely consider National for another new purchase.

If the floorplan and chassis suits you and the MH condition is OK I believe that you would be happy with the purchase.

fishboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check all the body panels from the floor line down and compartment doors for cracks, they were made from formed plastic. Had a 2001 Surf Side same body that had many cracks.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 98 mod 8330 Sea View with the 275 horse engine and 1 LR slide. we were very happy with it. Drove and handled like a car, never had a leaning problem. It always looked like the tail was sagging, but when measured front and back it was actually level.

As mentioned before the Sea Breeze LX is the new name for the Sea View. We now have the 8341 model of that. I do not feel that the Workhorse we now have pulls hills all that much better than the Ford did.

Glenn
Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
Check all the body panels from the floor line down and compartment doors for cracks, they were made from formed plastic. Had a 2001 Surf Side same body that had many cracks.
Richard.... What did you do for the cracks in the compartment doors? I just bought a 2000 Sea View 8341 and it has some crackin going on....

Ron
2000 Sea View 8341
2003 PT Cruiser in tow
rmoen is offline   Reply With Quote