Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #1

2001 Dutch Star - won't start

I'm new to the forum. Hope I can turn into a forum asset, but for now it looks grim. I installed(?) 2 new start batteries - rather, I put them on the tray and hooked up the available cables and wires. In the cockpit I turned the ignition key one click (clockwise, of course), and witnessed the usual "beep" followed by all of the dash warning lights going thru their normal cycling. Anticipation was high as I turned the key further for the start, but instead of hearing the 330 hp Cat coming alive, there was a dull "thunk" sound from somewhere under the dash.

Best to put down some possibly useful numbers to help the possible helpers:
1.) 4UZAAHAK61CH62974; ser, no. 68056; DSDP4057; total mileage 80,000.
2.) (2) E31C 950CCA 12v hold 12.7v after a few days w/o charge.
3.) (4) GC2 208AH 6v golf cart batteries wired 2 series x 2 parallel = 2 x 12v into the coach. Voltage holds at 6.1 after a few days w/o charge, (Propane detect on).
4.) Xantrex inverter sine wave RS400.
5.) (2) IOTA DLS 45 converters.
6.) B.I.R.D. Yes
7.) At one point I isolated the house batteries for less confused troubleshooting. It didn't help. I'm still confused. Power to all coach accessories from this source is via one positive and one negative cable - no stragglers.
8.) Checked battery isolate switch in engine compartment - OK.
9.) Checked continuity across all discovered fuses w VOM, cable connections for security. all OK, but could not check relays.
10.) Electric horn, CB radio, AM/FM dash radio, all OK.
11.) Headlights work when engine isolate batt sw is on.
12.) Electric not working: Engine start system, Driver and Passenger seats, outside mirror adjust, stair cover, windshield defog fans, outside stair extend; start boost switch.

Electrically speaking, I claim a preponderance of ignorance; likewise on computer language. Engine started and ran normally, until I disconnected and removed all batteries. I did manage to physically tie all straggler wires to their respective cables, and I assumed that I could figure out which cables went to the appropriate battery stud. Is it possible that I have crossed start and coach negative cables, resulting in the no ignition condition? Initially, I had connected one cable wrong, because after turning the batt isolate sw to “on,” smoke began from the pos, connection. Within about 3 seconds I turned the batt isolate sw. “off” and corrected the erroneous cable connection.

Sorry for the lengthy thread(?), but is should eliminated some multiplication of these communiques. I plan to contact Newmar or Freightliner for wiring diagrams, but it is uncertain that having them will solve the problem.

May God bless you, Ron
RSKPILGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Taking pictures of the connections and wiring before taking it apart is a very good thing to do. I know hindsight is 20/20, but for next time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 Ron.
Your problem has happened before to members and it can be difficult to get them straight but we have managed in most cases.
If you go to this link Quick Tips & Mods 1 & 2, you will find pictures of gas and DP battery hook-ups links and threads related to your problem.
You have to trace all your battery cables and tag and mark where they may go by length plus identify all ground cables going to the chassis frame.
Here is a thread for a 2003 FL CHASSIS that may help but you need your batteries hooked up correctly first.
Once we have established communication I will more your thread down to Newmar forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Will do, but for tomorrow, for it's too late tonight. Will look for my post and yours in the Newmar forum. I appreciate the comeback.
RSKPILGRIM is offline   Reply With Quote