Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

2001 Fleetwood Discovery on Freightliner, Fuel gauge

My 2001 Fleetwood Class A on a freightliner chassis has a fuel guage problem.
After I fueled up last spring the Guage settled in at about 7/8 fuel. It doesn't move with ignition on or off. I switched the wiring between the oil pressure and fuel guages. The oil pressure continues to work and the fuel doesn't move.
It is Kysor Medallion instrumentation.

How can I determine if it is the guage or the sending unit in the tank?
JBPruett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #2

This pdf should cover the testing of the gauges in your year of Freightliner chassis .

Your issue sounds like the gauge is defective but test to confirm .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPruett View Post
My 2001 Fleetwood Class A on a freightliner chassis has a fuel guage problem.

After I fueled up last spring the Guage settled in at about 7/8 fuel. It doesn't move with ignition on or off. I switched the wiring between the oil pressure and fuel guages. The oil pressure continues to work and the fuel doesn't move.

It is Kysor Medallion instrumentation.

How can I determine if it is the guage or the sending unit in the tank?
What did u find was wrong with fuel gauge, I am having same problem
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt digger View Post
What did u find was wrong with fuel gauge, I am having same problem
dirt digger , is your coach on a freightliner chassis built between 1999 and 2003 ??

Please set up a signature line so members know exactly what your coach is , you'll get better answers .
Old 11-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #5

1999 discovery 37v on freightliner chassis, I an new to irv2 fourm
Old 11-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

Quote:
1999 discovery 37v on freightliner chassis, I an new to irv2 forum
Your 99 Fleetwood , could have been built on a 1998 Freightliner chassis , and the testing pdf I posted for JBPruett might not apply .

The first picture is of a 98 Freightliner instrument package , the second picture the 99 gauge package , to which the pdf applies .
The 98 gauges are analog the 99 digital .

If you can find the Freightliner data decal in your coach , like the third picture , that would clear things up , as Freightliner stated their wiring and gauge changes on Jan. 4, 1999 .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arron's dash 2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	350238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	350239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	350240  
Old 12-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Your 99 Fleetwood , could have been built on a 1998 Freightliner chassis , and the testing pdf I posted for JBPruett might not apply .

The first picture is of a 98 Freightliner instrument package , the second picture the 99 gauge package , to which the pdf applies .

The 98 gauges are analog the 99 digital .

If you can find the Freightliner data decal in your coach , like the third picture , that would clear things up , as Freightliner stated their wiring and gauge changes on Jan. 4, 1999 .
My dash is like the first picture, I think my dash is digital with stepper motor attach to the microprocessor for the fuel ,oil ,temp my fuel gauge show a 1/4 full, I just filled coach with fuel so I know the tank is full. When u turn in the key the fuel gauge goes to 1/4, when I turn key off gauge goes to empty like it should, do not know if stepper motor is bad or sending unit . Other gauges work fine,any suggestion thanks again dirt digger
Old 12-02-2021, 09:36 AM   #8

dirtdigger.
I don't have all the testing info for a 98 Freightliner fuel gauge ( the second picture of gauges I posted is my dash , Feb 1999 production chassis ) .
The wiring schematics below will identify the circuit number for the fuel gauge wiring , and we'll have to assume the ohm chart on page 9 of the testing pdf will apply to the sender in your chassis .
So disconnecting the output wire from the gauge and using an ohm meter , to ground , a tank sender stuck at a 1/4 tank would register 150 ohms .
If the ohm reading is approx 35 ohms ( indicating a full tank ) then your gauge is the problem .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998 Freightlier with ISB schematics.pdf (1.42 MB, 10 views)
Old 12-03-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
dirtdigger.

I don't have all the testing info for a 98 Freightliner fuel gauge ( the second picture of gauges I posted is my dash , Feb 1999 production chassis ) .

The wiring schematics below will identify the circuit number for the fuel gauge wiring , and we'll have to assume the ohm chart on page 9 of the testing pdf will apply to the sender in your chassis .

So disconnecting the output wire from the gauge and using an ohm meter , to ground , a tank sender stuck at a 1/4 tank would register 150 ohms .

If the ohm reading is approx 35 ohms ( indicating a full tank ) then your gauge is the problem .
Skip426 My coach dec1998 production chassis. My dash is a 1998 I talked with freightliner tech , I tried to get him to email me a wiring diagram for a 1998 instrument cluster what he sent was not for my unit ,I gave him vin #. I asked about service bulletin. 54-12 he act like he did not know anything about that bulletin if I could get a schematic of my cluster and if there is a service bulletin would be very helpful thanks to anyone
Old 12-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Skip426 My coach dec1998 production chassis. My dash is a 1998 I talked with freightliner tech , I tried to get him to email me a wiring diagram for a 1998 instrument cluster what he sent was not for my unit ,I gave him vin #. I asked about service bulletin. 54-12 he act like he did not know anything about that bulletin if I could get a schematic of my cluster and if there is a service bulletin would be very helpful thanks to anyone
dirt digger , the individual on the phone at the help line , is only accessing info pertaining to the serial number you provide , so 54-12 , would not show on his computer screen , as the wiring and gauges it pertains too didn't enter production till Jan. 4, 1999.
Did the wiring info he sent look like the pdf below ?
Note that the date on the diagram , is when the wiring harness entered the design stage , and if it's the same as the diagram you received , it's been posted to the wrong chassis production date; an issue that may not be easy to correct as it could have been posted incorrectly over 20 years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wiring diagram gauges.pdf (256.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #11

Quote:
dirt digger , the individual on the phone at the help line , is only accessing info pertaining to the serial number you provide , so 54-12 , would not show on his computer screen , as the wiring and gauges it pertains too didn't enter production till Jan. 4, 1999.
Did the wiring info he sent look like the pdf below ?
Note that the date on the diagram , is when the wiring harness entered the design stage , and if it's the same as the diagram you received , it's been posted to the wrong chassis production date; an issue that may not be easy to correct as it could have been posted incorrectly over 20 years ago.
thanks again , just saw your post , will check on the information tomorrow thanks again dirtdigger

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood, freightliner, fuel

« Hood Hinge | Wheel »