Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #1

2001 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage slide inop.

All I'm getting is one solenoid clicking when trying to retract or extend. It's the one forward of the motor. I can't find anything in the Winnebago parts catalog. I'm thinking it's a Freightliner install. If anybody has a source for trouble shooting, ie: what solenoid does what and where I should be looking for voltage and a parts catalog source would be nice.
Obiwan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obiwan35 View Post
All I'm getting is one solenoid clicking when trying to retract or extend. It's the one forward of the motor. I can't find anything in the Winnebago parts catalog. I'm thinking it's a Freightliner install. If anybody has a source for trouble shooting, ie: what solenoid does what and where I should be looking for voltage and a parts catalog source would be nice.
That solenoid controls the motor for slide out, or in.
If you have help, one person holds slide button in the direction needed.
Other person, upon hearing click, taps on the end of the motor to get things moving.
Not a heavy slug, but a tap to start the motor.

If the slide starts moving, do not release the button.

Do not burn up the solenoid. Only hold the button for 5 seconds. Otherwise the solenoid could melt.
Or worse, fire.
bilb2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
No answers for you but have been watching for replies. Did you get the problem with the slide resolved? We have a large slide and I have wondered what to do if it would get stuck in or out.
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Tried the hold the hold the switch and tap the motor trick, to no avail. Went below with a test light. Found power in and out of the main solinoid and to the motor. Did a high amp discharge check of the line servicing the motor and it passed. Failed motor. New one on order. On a side note, I had no HWH manual in my owners pouch. I had to get the model number of the system installed from Winnebago tech. They had no info and gave me HWH's number. That's where the fun began. Now we're stuck, unable to retract our slid out. Cut no ice. You go into a Que. After probably 10 calls over three days, I still wasn't able to speak to a tech. Extremely frustrating. Their customer support is non existant.
There is a way to retract the slide with an inop hydraulic system. It involves opening the bypass on the sequencing valve. Just trace your ram lines back to this electricly operated valve. Then you remove the floor heat register across from your slide and rig a come-a-long between it and the bottom lip of your slide. Crank in slowly to alow the bypass fluid to return to the resevoir. Problem is, once it's in, it's in. You have to recover your hydraulic system to extend again.
I'm going to write Winnebago about HWH. I've had excellent product support from them (Winnebago), but they need to get their vendor straightened out. HWH is the pits when it comes to supporting their product.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
HWH?? I know it is something I should know but just can't think what it means right now. Sounds like a really big pain. Hope things work out for you. Are you doing the work yourself? Sounds complicated.
motraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
My slide motor quit last summer in Rapid City SD. Mobile tech diagnosed & pulled it. No local replacement, then he dtermined the motor had list the internal ground. We took it apart and found a melted insulator. An hour later it was rebuilt and working, likely better than new.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motraveler View Post
HWH?? I know it is something I should know but just can't think what it means right now. Sounds like a really big pain. Hope things work out for you. Are you doing the work yourself? Sounds complicated.
'Tis rather complecated. Did most of the trouble shooting myself, with the exception of the high amp check of the motor power supply. It turned out to be the check that indicated the motor has failed. I was able to finally find a trained mechanic that had the right test equipment. No help from HWH Industries. He's changing the motor out tomorrow. I'm going to check out the failed one and see about repairing it myself and keep it as a spare. I do almost everything myself on my unit. Winnebago really offers excellent product support. It helps to have good tools and a fairly good mechanical backround.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My slide motor quit last summer in Rapid City SD. Mobile tech diagnosed & pulled it. No local replacement, then he dtermined the motor had list the internal ground. We took it apart and found a melted insulator. An hour later it was rebuilt and working, likely better than new.
I plan on doing the same thing once mine's changed out and keep it as a spare.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

Good idea. I don't carry a ton of spares, but I keep the ones that are obscure and debilitating. Essentials. The ones that'll strand you. The rest, I Mc Guiver. Love boon docking!

Tags
slide, winnebago