Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2022, 11:33 PM   #1

2002 Bounder how to install fresh water antifreeze

I have a 2002 Fleetwood bounder that I am trying to find the best method to winterize the freshwater system. I have looked through the Owners packet and cannot find anything on this subject. I have looked at YouTube to get answers on the best method to winterize this coach. There are some good ideas but they are all different compared to the piping systems on this Coach. There are 3 drain points in the compartment next to the hot water heater And also the main water tank drain. Then there are 2 drained points in the left rear for this department where the park water inlet is and septic tanks , which is where the water pump is located as well. I have seen those that connect somehow to the water pump and suck the fluid right out of the antifreeze jug and it takes about 3 gallons to completely go through the system I'm not seeing how that works on here does anybody have any ideas.

I tried just simply draining there were 4 drain points And it didn't quite seem that I was draining everything. I do not have a compressor to be able to blow the system out.
Galaxy Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2022, 03:20 AM   #2

I will explain the best I can. I got confused on the number of drains you stated. You should have one for the fresh water tank. You will have "low point" drains for the hot and cold lines. The number could be two each or something different. That really make no difference, open them up turn of a faucet to hot and cold let them drain. Once done close them.

Now for the water heater: you have to drain it by unscrewing the drain plug for the lower part of the heater. Most likely 15/16 socket will do. Some where on the back of the heater are the by pass values. Here again every system is differnt you may have 1,2,3, values you may have a master value in the wet bay. Thats something you will have to find. You will need to make sure the water heater is bypassed for the winterization.

Once all above done. Camco has a pump converter to add to the water pump. Its an easy operation. This will allow you to pump the pink rv antifreeze into your system. Once thats installed maybe 4 gal of antifreeze will do the job. One at a time open the faucet until the pink stuff flows. Make sure you open each faucet and toilet and outside shower if you have.

Good luck
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the drains: The storage compartment next to the water heater has the main fresh water storage tank, and that has a large red drain valve. On the left side is a matrix of pex lines that has a bypass valve for the water heater. There are two lines here that have a black handled valve that extends down through the floor compartment to the ground. These have no labels and do not show up in the Owner's manual schematic. One appears to be associated with the hot water and the other cold. In the far back utility compartment are two black valves that are labeled hot and cold low point drains. Just above them is the outside shower. The water pump is just off to the side.

The Owners manual just says to open the hot and cold low point valves and the shower and wand??

Not sure if I can find that gamco device around here.
Galaxy Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
On our RV the water pump inlet is just a standard thread for a sink or toilet water hose. I got the longest one they had at home depot. Unthread the existing in hose, attach the new hose, and put the other end in your antifreeze jug.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:53 PM   #5

You have the hot and cold drains identified. The hot water tank needs drained, it may have its own drain, our rig does. The outside shower, on our rig it will drain through the hot and cold drains. Open the drains and let then go for a while. If you open the faucets, it will help everything drain, just close them, before starting the pump or..........yeah, a mess.

You should be able to pull antifreeze from the jug using a short piece of hose connected to the intake side of the pump. Worse comes to worse, pour it into the fresh water tank and run through the system. People will howl about that but, youre planning to have af in the lines anyway, right? Get some af in the sink traps, in the toilets , dont forget the showers hot and cold and enough to get down to those drain valves to protect those also.

Tags
antifreeze, bounder, free, fresh water, install, water