Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
2002 Damon Escaper Question on batteries...

I purhcased this class a motor home last may, we brought it home knowing that we may have to replace the batteries this year. When I went to take it out of storage, it would not start. I boosted it to get it home. I could not get one bit of power from the house batteries so I replaced them first. I purchased two 6 volt AGM deep cycle batteries and replaced these. However, when I tried to turn on (for the electrical 12v system) the battery the system clicks but won't turn on (have choice of store or use) so I cannot even start the diesel generator. I have looked at fuses everywhere but I must be missing something...can anyone help?

My two group 31 batteries for the big motor will be here this week and I will replace them too. I have replaced all with maintenance free batteries, much higher but I should not have to worry about liquid loss or acid buildup.

Thanks for any hints you can give me.

Olpapa
Olpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Olpapa and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Verify all the cables are clean and connected to the proper battery terminals. If so, you need to find the battery disconnect solenoid. Usually under a black plastic cover near the rear axle in a basement compartment. Make certain that the solenoid is closing when the switch is depressed. They are notorious for failing. Let us know what you find, if it is closed verify voltage to it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
RV Wizard, thanks for your reply. I did look in the basement and found nothing. I thought I would contact Thor to see if they could help me find it or point the general direction. That took forever to get a reply and all they said was, it's located in the front of the coach. The clicking sound is what I need to track down. Okay, that is in the little door under drivers side where the fuses are located. I can hear the clicking under the massive bunch of wires, is there a solenoid that looks like the old car starter solenoids or is it a little sqare box?

I did find a solenoid mounted between the house batteries and the chassis batteries in the back, it's a much larger solenoid that one I've seen on autos. Could that be it too? Since Thor said the front of the unit (no more detail than that), I figured the one between the batteries is for something else.
Thanks,

Olpapa
Old 05-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Look in the compartment on the drivers side in front of the front wheel.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Okay...I have not started drinking yet but I'm close! I looked in the small compartment by the left front wheel. Inside there are three fuse pannels with sizes rangeing from 5 am up to 30 amp...but I did not see a solenoid. I suppose the solenoid looks like a car starter solenoid...if so, where have they hidden it?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The battery disconnect looks something like this one KIB Enterprises - PDLR9806 and usually mounted on a side wall of a compartment and accessible by removing a black plastic cover that is about as deep as the compartment held on by 3/8" hex head tec screws.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
RV Wizard...you are correct. I looked at the green board that has all of the fuses on it, there are four 1/4" hex screws that hold the green circuit board in this box. Behind the box, it appears like there is a solenoid that would be like what was in the link you posted. Although I cannot be 100% positive, the green board would only pull away fro the place it's screwed to about 1". I took a dentist's mirror to try and stick my head in as close as I could to see if that is what is back behind the green circuit board. Do you guys have to take colored photos and disconnect all of the wires to pull the board back to gain access to the solenoid? What a nightmare that could be, there are lots and lots of wires plugged into this board. I would bet Thor would not have one bit of information to help me or PDF files listing explicit directions for removing and replacing that solenoid...again, thanks for your help.

Olpapa
Old 05-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There will be 3 of those big solendoids that look like an old fashioned ford car solenoid. 1 for each battery bank, tied into the disconnect switches, and a third that ties the battery banks together. This one is tied to a switrch usually labelled BOOST
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Thanks everyone, I will get some colored photos, tape and number the wires and begin pulling them off so that I can put them back as they belong! One other little question on this solenoid, is there a way you can test it with a multimeter to see if this is the culprit?
Old 05-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
To test a solenoid in a circuit - place volt meter across contactor points and reading should be zero when closed and what ever voltage of circuit when open.
To test out of circuit - using ohm meter across the points and reading should be zero ohm when closed and infinity when open. You will need to check and or supply supply 12 volts to coil to energize and de-energize solenoid for testing.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #11

Just a question. Are the 6 volts hooked in series? As opposed to 12 volt batteries which would hook up in parallel.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Not sure what you call it, the two six volt batteries are as follows:

1) Battery one, negative to black and positive connected to negative on battery two.

2) Battery two, Positive connected to positive.

I would say this is a twelve volt connection
Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #13

Wiring two 6 volt batteries in series will give you 12 volts.

Attach a ground wire to the - negative terminal of battery #1. Attach one end of jumper wire to the + positive terminal of battery #1 and attach the other end of the jumper wire to the - negative terminal of battery #2. From the + positive terminal of battery #2 you will connect the "usually red" wire that feeds you system.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Thanks everyone....fixed it! Other than the batteries there was a 5 amp fuse located behind one large four wire plug that hid the view of this fuse. The little guys can get half way inside this little cubby hole where us big guys need dental mirrors. Once batteries were connect and fuse replaced, the battery disconnect worked as it should...again, THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Olpapa